No announcement yet.

JJ Re-Signs: 4 Year Deal, $39 Million

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pitcher Josh Johnson reached an agreement on a four-year, guaranteed $39 million contract that will keep him with the Florida Marlins through 2013. The pitcher confirmed the agreement to ESPN.com Thursday.

"I'm excited,'' Johnson said. "It sets up me and my family for life. One of the best parts is knowing where I'm going to be the next four years. I won't have to hear about any trade rumors or anything like that. I'm happy to be in South Florida.''

The contract buys out the final two years of salary arbitration eligibility and the first two years of free agency for Johnson, who has a 34-16 record and a 3.40 ERA in parts of five seasons with the Marlins.

Johnson, regarded as one of baseball's best young starters, made the All-Star team in 2009 and has a 22-6 record since his return from Tommy John surgery in July 2008.

Johnson's negotiations took several twists this offseason. In November, agent Matt Sosnick said the two sides had reached an "impasse'' and that Johnson would play under a one-year deal in 2010.

Johnson and his representatives entered the offseason looking for a deal slightly above Zack Greinke's four-year, $38 million contract with Kansas City, while the Marlins countered with a reported three-year, $23 million offer. It appeared the spread was too much to overcome and that Johnson would sign a one-year contract or go to salary arbitration -- and possibly be traded at midseason or next winter.

Johnson said he was confident throughout the process that a deal would get done.

"Jeffrey Loria, our owner, came up to me a couple of times during the season and said, 'We'll get something done -- I promise you,'' Johnson said. "Even when the talks broke down, I was confident we would get something done.''

The Marlins dealt arbitration-eligible outfielder Jeremy Hermida to Boston in November and spent much of the winter exploring trades for second baseman Dan Uggla -- seemingly to help free up space in the payroll for a long-term deal for Johnson.

The Marlins ranked last among the 30 major league teams with a $36.8 million Opening Day payroll in 2009, but vowed to increase payroll moving forward as they prepare to open a new ballpark in April 2012.

The Marlins recently came under scrutiny amid concerns from the players association that they weren't living up to a provision in the basic agreement that requires teams to use revenue sharing receipts to improve performance on the field.

Although Marlins president David Samson maintained that the team did not violate the basic agreement, the Marlins issued a joint statement earlier this week promising to "work cooperatively'' with the union and the commissioner's office in the future.

"In response to our concerns that revenue sharing proceeds have not been used as required, the Marlins have assured the Union and the Commissioner's Office that they plan to use such proceeds to increase player payroll annually as they move toward the opening of their new ballpark,'' said union executive director Michael Weiner.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4826840

Comment

Off-season grade: A

Comment

Originally posted by Flum View Post
        Or maybe since they were seemingly being forced to spend money anyway they just capitulated.
        They were "forced" to "continue" what they were doing.

It is silly to think the Marlins just suddenly called up and said AHHHHH WE GIVE YOU MONIES NOW THAT WE NEVER PLANNED ON OFFERING IN THIS PROCESS!!!!

It is a process. We play on the internet so we can just imagine that they get together in a room and one said says, we gon pay you this because of the comparables and the other side says, perfect, comparables indeed!

The shit Sosnick was saying from the start made him seem like a 1st grader who did not know very well how to handle the process and people who believed that the process was really gon end right there because he said they negotiated for 30 minutes and he would not speak of it again are dumber than tjfla

Comment

Does this mean we're not cheap anymore?

Comment

hehe, trade rumors will still come for JJ. Maybe not the beginning of his deal but they will come at some point.

Comment

We re-signed Jorge Jimenez?

Comment

yes

Comment

I doubt that there is, but has anything been said about a no-trade clause? I know Hanley didn't get one...

Comment

Absolutely fantastic news.

Comment

Johnson is due to receive $13.75 million in each of the last two seasons of the deal.
                      http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...,3915126.story

story doesn't say if the first two years are evenly split among the remaining money or how it escalates

Comment

Hallelujah!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BeefWillingham View Post
                          They were "forced" to "continue" what they were doing.

It is silly to think the Marlins just suddenly called up and said AHHHHH WE GIVE YOU MONIES NOW THAT WE NEVER PLANNED ON OFFERING IN THIS PROCESS!!!!

It is a process. We play on the internet so we can just imagine that they get together in a room and one said says, we gon pay you this because of the comparables and the other side says, perfect, comparables indeed!

The shit Sosnick was saying from the start made him seem like a 1st grader who did not know very well how to handle the process and people who believed that the process was really gon end right there because he said they negotiated for 30 minutes and he would not speak of it again are dumber than tjfla
                          If they finally gave JJ what he was asking, why did the Marlins wait until after MLB came down on them for their substandard payroll? Why not capitulate sooner? It could be a coincidence, but their general pattern of cheapness makes me awfully suspicious of it being one.

I don't think MLB's reprimand is the reason why they offered him the contract, but I wouldn't be surprised if it played a role in pushing them over the edge. They could very well have felt that JJ was worth the money, but Loria (possibly) didn't want to open his pursestrings until he had some other motivation to do so.

Maybe the answer is that the team didn't want anymore bad press about their payroll practices, and they just wanted to prove that they aren't as miserly as some claim.

As a side note, I wonder whether Sosnick knew about the grievance being filed by the MLBPA earlier in this process, and was just using the media to kind of rub salt in their forthcoming wound.

Comment

Originally posted by Flum View Post
                            If they finally gave JJ what he was asking, why did the Marlins wait until after MLB came down on them for their substandard payroll? Why not capitulate sooner? It could be a coincidence, but their general pattern of cheapness makes me awfully suspicious of it being one.
                            In such a tiny amount of player negotiations is it as simple as you make it seem by saying the Marlins merely capitulated. So few times is it simple enough that an agent says, we will accept X and then the team comes back and says, we got your X right here.

Sosnick made it seem as though talks were over for good and JJ was gone. People were dumb enough to believe that. Sosnick said that the only thing possible to get done was a 1 year deal or arbitration. People were dumb enough to believe that. It is far more likely that they were working all along to find a number that they could agree on. It is possible that isn't how it worked out, but it is far more likely that it did happen in a way far different than how you have described/simplified it.

Comment

I never said that I believe that negotiations were over, because I wouldn't think that any public statements are anything more than posturing. I think it's a very plausible scenario that the two sides were close to reaching an agreement, but this was something that changed the atmosphere enough to push things in favor of JJ.

My initial comment was simplistic, but it was more of a potshot at the organization that they couldn't spend money for the betterment of the team until the league said they had to.

Comment

The league didn't say much

I can't really imagine that the Marlins and Sosnick reached an impasse and then the league released that statement and then the Marlins called Sosnick and basically said, fine, we will give you the lowest number you are willing to accept.

That is basically the simplistic view of the situation that you would paint, it just seems a little too silly, even with that last sentence being changed to something along the lines of "fine Sossy, we will give you $1M more than Greinke got".

They could have spent it before, but there were ongoing negotiations.

Comment

Working...
                                X