Marlins Miss Out on Chapman Sweepstakes; Pitcher Signs with Reds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
    Agents aren't exactly steering their players to Miami...
    I think this situation is a little different though.

Comment

I would hope that if Chapman (or his agent) indicate that he is willing to take a discount to come to Miami, though perhaps not quite a 2 million dollar discount, that something can be worked out to make it happen, though I guess I shouldn't hold my breath.

The FO probably realizes that this signing could do more to impact attendance than any other move they could make this offseason, including locking up JJ, which is why they've thrown their hat in the ring in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
        Did I say anything about agents there?
        Oh, so Chapman is working on his own here right? He doesn't have an agent in his ear telling him where to go and what would be a better organization to go to?

Cool
        --------------------
        Originally posted by m26555 View Post
        I think this situation is a little different though.
        why's that?
        Last edited by Ramp; 12-20-2009, 02:06 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Ramp I dont even know how to respond to you because you obviously like to manipulate my words into something I'm not even saying. Having fun?
          STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

I think he's saying his agent doesn't give a fuck about the 30 pitchers in front of him or the Boston media. Just that Boston is offering more money than Florida is and that his agent will advise him to take the money and don't worry about any of the fake points that fans of teams like the Marlins will use to convince themselves that they have a real chance to sign him.

Pretty sure that's what Ramp meant.

Comment

I know thats what he meant but what I said earlier was from AC's p.o.v, obviously his agent wants him to sign elsewhere for more money because he (agent) will get more money as well. If I were CHAPMAN (sans the influence of my agent) thats how I would feel.

Sorry I just get annoyed when people put words in my mouth.
              STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

The marlins dont make moves to please there fanbase, because the marginal chance that player accept can really hurt the marlins already limited payroll flexibility. So just to offer a contract shows that they're serious. Just look at their recent moves with their type A/B FA, they refuse to offer arb, because of the slim chance that player accepts it.

Also the marlins FO repeatly say they dont make decisions base on other teams moves. So the lower offer is proby more because they value chapman at a lower $ value than the soxs, than the marlins purposely lowballing their offer
                Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                Tom Koehler(4-0)
                AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

^ agreed
                  STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
                    I know thats what he meant but what I said earlier was from AC's p.o.v, obviously his agent wants him to sign elsewhere for more money because he (agent) will get more money as well. If I were CHAPMAN (sans the influence of my agent) thats how I would feel.

Sorry I just get annoyed when people put words in my mouth.
                    Never put words in your mouth

Anyway, offering a lower contract than Boston is retarded.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post

Anyway, offering a lower contract than Boston is retarded.
                      Like i said, the marlins said they dont make moves based on other teams moves. They're offering chapman what they think he is worth, and that happens to be less than what the red sox think he is worth.

Also with a team that on a shoestring budget, they cannot afford to outbid other teams, and overpay unproven International FA. Its not retarded, its smart. Overplaying for a guy who hasnt throw a pitch in the MLB, has control issue and poor mechanics that is VERY stressful on an arm is retarded, the risk is too high for the marlins to overpay him. While for teams like Boston and New York, they can afford to overpay for him and swallow his contract if he fail to develop
                      Tom Koehler(4-0)
                      AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

Offering a lower contract than one that has already been presented to him is a smart move?

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                          Offering a lower contract than one that has already been presented to him is a smart move?
                          not overpaying for a unproven pitcher is a smart move for the marlins, given their limited budget
                          Tom Koehler(4-0)

Comment

Originally posted by Fish and Chips View Post
                            not overpaying for a unproven pitcher is a smart move for the marlins, given their limited budget
                            You're right, so why should the team stand on ceremony like this? Seriously, if you're overpaying at $15.5 million, you're also overpaying at $13 million. The difference there is not very big. I just don't see the point in trying to play with the big boys here.

Comment

Two things; First, if we really did offer a 5 year deal to a guy that has never thrown a pitch in the majors and yet refused to give the team's ace a 4 year contract, this front office is retarded.

Second, there were almost a dozen teams that watched him pitch. I'm sure he's going to have more offers than just ours and Boston's. I say it was a nice gesture to look like we tried to get him but once the bidding war starts (which I'm sure it will), we will never be able to stay in this.

Comment

we should go make a nice gesture to matt holliday's agent

find out what the highest bid is, then send over an offer of our own that's about $7mil less

Comment

Working...
                                X