2018 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
    I'm still holding out hope for Gorman, with some late rumors saying Atlanta might be looking at a prep arm, but I'd be happy with Kelenic, Casas, Scott, or Naylor if they really are going for a HS bat. I'd be ok with Edwards, too, because I think he profiles to be a good player, even if he won't bring power.

I don't care that Casas is a 1B only. If his power ends up reaching its potential, it will be a good pick. With Scott, I do worry about the power, but he's a high upside player, and that's what they need, regardless of the position.
    Ya I am hoping Cincy or SD make a deal with Kyler Murray and a guy they were gonna take will fall to Atlanta which makes Gorman fall. Atlanta has been mentioned for a prep arm OR college bat(Bohm or India) if that happens Scott and Kelenic are the best "bat" guys while Gorman and Casas are best "power" guys with Edwards as best "speed" guy. I don't mind Edwards IF we get him below slot however the other 4 will cost us 4 million

The teams to watch for us are Oakland and Toronto. They are looking at the same group of 7 players as we are.

These teams are finally learning instead of blowing your wad on 1 player,it makes more sense to spread the cash out and get multiple good players. Marlins will screw it up next year-should have the HIGHEST POOL in 2019 and they will some how f*ck up!!!
    Last edited by tjfla; 06-04-2018, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Nothing that isn't already known...

Verified account

@keithlaw
      Following Following @keithlaw
      More
      Hearing Tristan Casas of American Heritage HS in play at pick 13 for the Marlins. #MLBDraft

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
        Nothing that isn't already known...

Verified account

@keithlaw
        Following Following @keithlaw

More
        Hearing Tristan Casas of American Heritage HS in play at pick 13 for the Marlins. #MLBDraft
        Love how Keith Law tweets like he is breaking news!! Everyone has mentioned this since April except Law

I am Hearing we are down to 4 guys AND Nolan Gorman if he is still around(So really 5 but they don't expect him around unless something changes). 4 guys are Connor Scott,Jared Kelenic,Triston Casas,Xavier Edwards

If this was Jeff and company(years past) we would be hard after Ryan Weathers,Grayson Rodriguez,Ethan Hankins,Mason Denaburg in Rd 1 then Rd 2 Michael Plassmeyer or Montes de Oca. Big Arm from Mizzou who should be Rd 4/5 picks but we would pay slot in Rd 2 for no reason. Then our#1 Pick would be hurt fast and Rd 2 guy would be crap

Note on Gorman. If he does fall he might have to bring his price down some for us to take him. Talk is he has given Toronto/Miami a high number however the FO really likes him. TB/KC could get his number easy but alot of others no(Not sure if smokescreen or what)
        Last edited by tjfla; 06-04-2018, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Quite a few of the late mock drafts have Gorman falling to Miami, and them passing on him. That would be frustrating. Many have them taking Casas.

Comment

Only Law has Casas now. BA has them taken no Scott. MLB has then going Kelenic.

Comment

Dont really have strong feelings on anyone. Hope we have a strong draft though and focus on hitters. Id be cool with Casas as he is something we dont really have in terms of a pure power hitter and we need a long term 1b anyways.

- - - - - - - - - -

Anyone know what happened with Conine's son? I know he was a potential first round pick coming into the year, is that still the case or just a little bit of a down year.

Comment

I think we'll end up with Gorman or if he's taken than Casas. Either way i like it. Power IF bat would be BPA and would fit a need so it would be best of both worlds really. I really hope we dont go with a pitcher though.

Comment

holy shit Singer fell and you just know we aren't going to draft him
                  Originally posted by Madman81
                  Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Two really good pitchers just sitting there.

Comment

• Didnt want a pitcher but id be 100% fine with either of LIberatore or Singer.

- - - - - - - - - -

And of course we take scott. Dont know much about him but a little dissappointing with some of the names on the board there that we werent expecting. First reaction is that he reminds me of yelich body wise and Plant HS is a great baseball school with Tucker having gone there. Hope he has more power than mlb.com's profile is making it seem.

All in all we dont know shit about the draft and wont for probably 5 years, but still slightly disappointing given the available names but we shall see.

This also seems like a Denbo pick.

Comment

• LOL we drafted a Christian Yelich-type to eventually replace Brinson.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                          LOL we drafted a Christian Yelich-type to eventually replace Brinson.
                          Seems very similar to Yelich in terms of body type and player type. If they think he can develop power like Yelich did as he grew into his body as well as have similar plate discipline then im cool with it as he would form a good combo of guys with Harrison and Brinson being more power guys with more K's.

Comment

• Brinson can move to a corner outfield spot too. I would of taken a pitcher. Especially with what was sitting there. Can never have too much pitching.

Comment

• Hilarious....why not just keep Yelich. Seems like it wasn't all Loria as some believe

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                              LOL we drafted a Christian Yelich-type to eventually replace Brinson.
                              So now we have to watch Brinson at least 2 more years until this guy Scott is ready. They pointed out (basically the only guy they criticsized on MLB Netywork) because he has a "hitch" in his bat) so in other words a project....

Comment

• Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
                                Hilarious....why not just keep Yelich. Seems like it wasn't all Loria as some believe

- - - - - - - - - -

So now we have to watch Brinson at least 2 more years until this guy Scott is ready. They pointed out (basically the only guy they criticsized on MLB Netywork) because he has a "hitch" in his bat) so in other words a project....
                                1) Why not just keep Yelich? He was apparently a clubhouse issue and it was clear our goal was to begin a long process to build an organization from top to bottom and (while we will see how it works out and i dont feel like getting into the debate again because we know our positions) we got good value if that was the plan. We still got 3 top 100 (or borderline top 100) hitting prospects and another potential SP arm. You can have your opinion on the deal, but the thought process has been abundantly obvious since the second the deal was made.

2) Every draft pick has mechanical issues that will be corrected before the time they get to the majors. That doesnt make him a "project" although you could label literally every draft pick a project. If he becomes anywhere near yelich as a player this is a fantastic pick. That is an enormous if though.

Comment

Working...
                                X