X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    Draft Next Monday

Good Draft for us would be

Rd 1-Jarred Kelenic/Triston Casas(HS Bats)
    Rd 2-Blaze Alexander(HS SS with Best Arm in Draft and can stick at SS-iffy bat)
    Rd 2S-Nick Meyer(College C-best defensive C in draft but need position and can save some $$)

Rd 3-10 Wouldn't mind in Rd 3 we go with BPA who will sign for slot/3 or 4 College Arms/Offensive C like Schwarz or Raleigh/Injured Arm like Holton,Gingery,Rasmussen and rest have 1 tool atleast

Doubtful we take many college position players early(beside C) since our Low Level Teams already have a logjam

I would say we should take C Cody Roberts from UNC again BUT he just had the Molina injury(OUCH)
    http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/a...211306704.html
    I'm no expert on the draft at all, but I'd prefer that 2 of the top 3 players we draft weren't position players with questionable hitting skills.

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
      I'm no expert on the draft at all, but I'd prefer that 2 of the top 3 players we draft weren't position players with questionable hitting skills.
      seconded. If we can't get great athletes that can hit, we might as well stockpile pitchers. In the first round, I'm partial to LHP Ryan Weathers, son of the former Marlin.

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
        1000% agreed. When I say GOOD draft, I am just stating what has been mentioned by the pros and leaks. I would pass on Casas and go with Kelenic/Gorman or a College Arm in Rd 1 and wouldnt touch Alexander that early

Rd 1-Casas has been mentioned by EVERYONE
        Rd 2-Alexander has been mentioned by Fangraphs about 25 times
        Rd 2S- They need Catchers and if they draft 1 here they get the best of the 2nd level and can save some cash for later in the draft

Actually ALL 3 have questionable bats

A GOOD DRAFT for me to start would be
        Rd 1-Nolan Gorman(if they want a bat) OR McClanahan/Kowar/Carter Stewart(if they want a arm)
        Rd 2-If go bat in Rd 1 then Kris Bubic/Hjelle/Pilkington and if arm in Rd 1 then Jenista/Nico Hoerner
        Rd 2S-Blaze Alexander
        Last edited by tjfla; 05-30-2018, 08:40 AM.

Comment

1000% agreed. When I say GOOD draft, I am just stating what has been mentioned by the pros and leaks. I would pass on Casas and go with Kelenic/Gorman or a College Arm in Rd 1 and wouldnt touch Alexander that early

Rd 1-Casas has been mentioned by EVERYONE
          Rd 2-Alexander has been mentioned by Fangraphs about 25 times
          Rd 2S- They need Catchers and if they draft 1 here they get the best of the 2nd level and can save some cash for later in the draft

Actually ALL 3 have questionable bats

A GOOD DRAFT for me to start would be
          Rd 1-Nolan Gorman(if they want a bat) OR McClanahan/Kowar/Carter Stewart(if they want a arm)
          Rd 2-If go bat in Rd 1 then Kris Bubic/Hjelle/Pilkington and if arm in Rd 1 then Jenista/Nico Hoerner
          Rd 2S-Blaze Alexander
          My sole wish is that pitchers be selected on all around ability and success with offspeed stuff. High school pitchers who have gotten by on velocity are the biggest risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
            My sole wish is that pitchers be selected on all around ability and success with offspeed stuff. High school pitchers who have gotten by on velocity are the biggest risk.
            Ya thats why I only mentioned Carter Stewart as the only HS arm I would take. 95 FB but hammer curve which is ++ pitch. I wouldn't even look at a HS velocity only guy

Comment

It seems like people think Gorman is going to the Braves. Everyone has Miami taking a prep bat. So if Gorman is gone, that leaves Casas and Kelenic as probably the most likely. From what I have gathered, I'd be happy with either. Kelenic is one of the best HS position players in the class (if not the best), and Casas has big time power potential. I don't care that he's a 1B.

I also still feel like Noah Naylor should be in the discussion. I'm not really sure why he isn't more highly regarded when you look at his tools, and the premium positions he could legitimately play.

Comment

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                It seems like people think Gorman is going to the Braves. Everyone has Miami taking a prep bat. So if Gorman is gone, that leaves Casas and Kelenic as probably the most likely. From what I have gathered, I'd be happy with either. Kelenic is one of the best HS position players in the class (if not the best), and Casas has big time power potential. I don't care that he's a 1B.

I also still feel like Noah Naylor should be in the discussion. I'm not really sure why he isn't more highly regarded when you look at his tools, and the premium positions he could legitimately play.
                Naylor isn't highly regarded because no set position. Some teams see him as a C,others 3B and others OF. Wish Toronto would take him at #12. Ill take Kelenic who has a ++ hit tool and is like Yelich over Casas who is best power guy but hit tool is just average. My biggest issue with Kelenic is he is an OF but has tons of talent. Detroit was talking below slot deal with him to take him #1

Ya everyone seems to have Gorman going before we pick
                Last edited by tjfla; 05-30-2018, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Naylor isn't highly regarded because no set position. Some teams see him as a C,others 3B and others OF. Wish Toronto would take him at #12. Ill take Kelenic who has a ++ hit tool and is like Yelich over Casas who is best power guy but hit tool is just average. My biggest issue with Kelenic is he is an OF but has tons of talent. Detroit was talking below slot deal with him to take him #1

I've seen some say Naylor could even end up as a middle infielder. He has a plus arm supposedly. Whether he's C, 3B, or MIF, that'd be fine with me because his bat would play at any of those spots.

As for Casas, he's not exactly a sexy pick, but even if his bat is average, if he's hitting 30 HRs, you'd take that with the 13th pick.

Comment

Why do you see fact that a prospect is an OF as a problem? As far as I know, we don't have a single truly promising OF prospect in the entire organization - every one has warts. Even a guy like Brian Miller is lacking a few tools. That's why the team has hoped to trade for an Acuna, Robles or Tucker, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
                      Why do you see fact that a prospect is an OF as a problem? As far as I know, we don't have a single truly promising OF prospect in the entire organization - every one has warts. Even a guy like Brian Miller is lacking a few tools. That's why the team has hoped to trade for an Acuna, Robles or Tucker, no?
                      U are right we need more OF in the system

Comment

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018...ty-of-oklahoma

Really liked this guy the games I’ve watched him play. In the 2nd somehow I’d be ecstatic.
                        "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                        - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                          I've seen some say Naylor could even end up as a middle infielder. He has a plus arm supposedly. Whether he's C, 3B, or MIF, that'd be fine with me because his bat would play at any of those spots.

As for Casas, he's not exactly a sexy pick, but even if his bat is average, if he's hitting 30 HRs, you'd take that with the 13th pick.
                          Ya I heard we like him as 2B/OF. Just saying IF u are a team that sees him as a C then u might take him early and sign him below slot BUT if u seem him as OF/MIF its kinda hard to pass on Gorman/Kelenic or even Casas

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Ralph View Post
                          https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018...ty-of-oklahoma

Really liked this guy the games I’ve watched him play. In the 2nd somehow I’d be ecstatic.
                          Has skill but like mentioned the last thing the system needs is College Bats especially OF College Bats who are 6'0 190 Lefties.

We have a logjam in Batavia BEFORE the draft

C-Barnes/Osborne
                          1B-Reynolds/Encarnacion(OF)
                          2B-Karas/Nunez
                          SS-Torres/Sims(UT)
                          3B-Hollins
                          LF-Donadio/White/Brooks
                          CF-Hernandez
                          RF-Cespedes

This is the team already without draft picks.. U draft based on talent BUT if u wanna give guys chances u can't take guys in the draft and forget about guys already here

The system could use older C and MIF but OF not really if u wanna give these other guys a shot. This is why most experts think we will go HS guys and pitching early
                          Last edited by tjfla; 05-30-2018, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Honestly, the Marlins should be going after upside as much as possible in the draft. The farm is lacking big time upside. I'd rather swing for the fences and miss than take a handful of "safe" players that may have a better shot to make it, but will likely never be much more than replacement level.

Comment

New Jonathan Mayo mock this morning:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mock-draft-...nd/c-279050910

13. Marlins: Connor Scott, OF, Plant HS (Tampa)

It continues to sound like hitters here, especially high school ones. As of right now, Scott, who comes from the same high school Astros prospect Kyle Tucker played at, gets the nod over Triston Casas (also from Florida).

Comment

Please, whatever they do, draft a hitter. we have plenty of arms, we need to continue to replenish our position players.

Comment

Working...
                                X