No announcement yet.

2018 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya ultimately I defer to the decision makers especially in mlb draft where I’ve never seen any of them play but I think our hitting talent is severely lacking, specifically in terms of pure power

Comment

If they're going below slot, Xavier Edwards would be a guy I'd be interested in. He doesn't solve the power hitting issue, but he's intriguing.

Comment

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
        If they're going below slot, Xavier Edwards would be a guy I'd be interested in. He doesn't solve the power hitting issue, but he's intriguing.
        Below Slot guys are Triston Casas and Xavier Edwards

Both guy have 1 plus tool. Casas=Power and Edwards=Speed

U can get a 5 tool guy OR top end college arm at #13

- - - - - - - - - -

Mayo has his mock out today and has Miami taking Connor Scott

Would love him to fall to us but doubtful. He has been tied to Oakland,Pitt and Baltimore-Scott is 5 tool Christian Yelich type

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
          Below Slot guys are Triston Casas and Xavier Edwards

Both guy have 1 plus tool. Casas=Power and Edwards=Speed

U can get a 5 tool guy OR top end college arm at #13

- - - - - - - - - -

Mayo has his mock out today and has Miami taking Connor Scott

Would love him to fall to us but doubtful. He has been tied to Oakland,Pitt and Baltimore-Scott is 5 tool Christian Yelich type
          Having power as your plus tool is good enough sometimes, though. People can talk about these guys being 5 tool players, but actual 5 tool players are very rare. If Casas has legitimate power potential, I'd be fine with him. As for Edwards, he's also supposedly a great fielder, and while his size will limit his power, from everything I've read, he could end up being a good hitter. Neither would be sexy, but that doesn't mean they would be bad picks, either.

Comment

FWIW, here are Baseball America's scouting reports on Casas and Edwards. Both are ranked well below where the Marlins pick, but that doesn't concern me. Rarely do the rankings correlate to how these guys pan out. Look at the best players in baseball. Where were many of them ranked going into the draft? Trout? Stanton? Votto? Betts? We already talked about Naylor, who was WAY down the list when Miami drafted him, and has proven to be well worth his draft slot. I care much more about the tools, and I like the tools both players bring to the table.

43 –
            Last: 43
            Xavier Edwards
            North Broward Prep SS
            Notes:
            City: Coconut Creek, Fla.
            Ht: 5-10 | Wt: 155 | B-T: B-R | Commit/Drafted: Vanderbilt
            Scouting Report: Pound for pound, Edwards might be the most skilled player in the class. The problem is that he’s just 5-foot-10 and 155 pounds. A twitchy, switch-hitting infielder, Edwards possesses some of the quickest hands and footwork in the class, turning the double play from shortstop and second base with aplomb. A true, top of the scale runner, Edwards has more than enough range to handle shortstop, but scouts are mixed on whether he has the arm strength to stick at the position, with grades ranging from fringe-average to average. He makes the most of what he has, taking good angles on balls, cutting down ground and using his advanced footwork to put him in ideal throwing positions. He has the athleticism and instincts to make throws from multiple angles and a quick exchange. His speed also plays well on the bases, where he is an aggressive runner. He’s been clocked regularly in the 3.9-second range from the lefthanded batter’s box to first base—good enough for an 80-grade time—and his hand-eye coordination and quick, simple swing gives him great barrel control. He has good feel to hit from both sides of the plate and should hit for a high average when factoring in his speed, although his power is well below-average with little reason to project more. Power and size won’t ever be in Edwards’ favor, but he is a player who can impact the game on offense and defense because of his speed and the chance to be an above-average defender at a premium position.
            Triston Casas
            American Heritage School 1B/3B
            Notes:
            City: Plantation, Fla.
            Ht: 6-4 | Wt: 238 | B-T: L-R | Commit/Drafted: Miami
            Scouting Report: One of the top power-hitting players in the class, Casas has established an impressive track record as a corner infielder who was originally supposed to be in the 2019 draft class before reclassifying to become eligible this June. A two-time member of USA Baseball’s 18U National Team, Casas was named the World Baseball Softball Confederation’s player of the year in 2017, after leading the U-18 World Cup field with three home runs and 13 RBI, pushing Team USA to a gold-medal victory over Korea. He was also named the MVP of the tournament. Casas has 70-grade raw power out of a 6-foot-4, 240-pound frame that he has maintained well over the offseason, and he might be a bit lighter now after trimming up prior to his final season with American Heritage High in Plantation, Fla. His power plays to all fields, and Casas has enough to drive balls out of the park even when he doesn’t make solid contact. The Miami commit has a patient, selective approach at the plate and was among the more difficult player to pitch to on the summer showcase circuit according to a number of pitchers, although he has shown some of the swing-and-miss tendencies that can coincide with long arms. A surprisingly good athlete for his size, Casas has plus arm strength, which gives him an outside shot to play third base, where he plays for American Heritage. Most scouts believe he’ll inevitably slide to first base, however, which is a tough position to draft out of high school. But it is also challenging to find a hitter in the draft class with a better combination of hitting ability, plate discipline, power and track record against quality arms than Casas provides.

Comment

Having power as your plus tool is good enough sometimes, though. People can talk about these guys being 5 tool players, but actual 5 tool players are very rare. If Casas has legitimate power potential, I'd be fine with him. As for Edwards, he's also supposedly a great fielder, and while his size will limit his power, from everything I've read, he could end up being a good hitter. Neither would be sexy, but that doesn't mean they would be bad picks, either.
              I totally agree with u. If u take Edwards or Casas sign them BELOW slot and then use the money later in the draft I have zero problem with either of them being picked at #13. What I am talking about is if they want slot. I would rather have a Kelenic or Connor Scott or College SP for slot than a 1 Great tool guy like Casas/Edwards for slot

1 issue with each is Edwards is a Vandy Commit(means wont be cheap) and Casas while mentioned as a 3B will NEVER be 1-he is a 1B limited guy because he will likely be 6'5 250-260 in few years

Comment

I totally agree with u. If u take Edwards or Casas sign them BELOW slot and then use the money later in the draft I have zero problem with either of them being picked at #13. What I am talking about is if they want slot. I would rather have a Kelenic or Connor Scott or College SP for slot than a 1 Great tool guy like Casas/Edwards for slot

1 issue with each is Edwards is a Vandy Commit(means wont be cheap) and Casas while mentioned as a 3B will NEVER be 1-he is a 1B limited guy because he will likely be 6'5 250-260 in few years
                From what I've read, Casas could be the tougher guy to sign because he has a solid commitment to University of Miami. I thought I read somewhere that Edwards would be a candidate to take a deal below slot.

I don't know enough about these guys to say whether I'd take Casas over any of them, but for me, if he ends up realizing his power potential, even if he has to go to 1B, I'd have no issues taking him at our spot.

My top choice might be Gorman, though, if he gets there.

Comment

From what I've read, Casas could be the tougher guy to sign because he has a solid commitment to University of Miami. I thought I read somewhere that Edwards would be a candidate to take a deal below slot.

I don't know enough about these guys to say whether I'd take Casas over any of them, but for me, if he ends up realizing his power potential, even if he has to go to 1B, I'd have no issues taking him at our spot.

My top choice might be Gorman, though, if he gets there.
                  Yes Please!! I am with u. We need bats more than pitching and IF more than OF and Gorman could play 3B but likely a 1B as well. Both Edwards and Casas are mentioned as below slot guys but u never know(KC and TB have been mentioned for both because they each have 3 1st Rd picks). We took Braxton Garrett because he told Meek he would take less however when the time came he want MORE than slot

Whatever they choose I trust Gary Denbo so not to worried.

Comment

MLB.com is updated to Top 200

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=draft

Comment

Callis has NEW mock(I am warming to Casas IF he is willing to sign for a few below slot and we use it later)

https://www.mlb.com/news/mock-draft-...ly/c-278228058

13. Marlins: Triston Casas, 1B, American Heritage School (Plantation, Fla.)
                      Miami is pursuing a lot of the same high school bats as Toronto, as well as two more in Casas, who has power to rival Gorman's, and outfielder Connor Scott (Florida).

Toronto likes Jarred Kelenic,Gorman, outfielder/wide receiver Jordyn Adams (North Carolina) and others who could drop into the 20s if they don't go 12 or 13: shortstop Xavier Edwards (Florida), third baseman Jordan Groshans (Texas) and catcher Noah Naylor (Canada).
                      Last edited by tjfla; 05-25-2018, 09:16 AM.

Comment

ill take any IF prospect with elite level power.

Comment

Callis has NEW mock(I am warming to Casas IF he is willing to sign for a few below slot and we use it later)

https://www.mlb.com/news/mock-draft-...ly/c-278228058

Toronto likes Jarred Kelenic,Gorman, outfielder/wide receiver Jordyn Adams (North Carolina) and others who could drop into the 20s if they don't go 12 or 13: shortstop Xavier Edwards (Florida), third baseman Jordan Groshans (Texas) and catcher Noah Naylor (Canada).
                          I watched Edwards play twice during the last month. I live across the street from his school (North Broward Prepatory School). Would love for the Marlins to draft him if he’s still there. The word at the ballpark was he was thinking Mariners.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                            I watched Edwards play twice during the last month. I live across the street from his school (North Broward Prepatory School). Would love for the Marlins to draft him if he’s still there. The word at the ballpark was he was thinking Mariners.
                            Hard to tell who we are looking at because unlike years past Denbo has stopped most of the leaks. LY I posted like a month BEFORE the draft they were likely to take Rogers if he was there and thats who they took

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                              I didnt know that kid went there. I used to go there. Would be cool to see the marlins draft him then.

Comment

Draft Next Monday

Good Draft for us would be

Rd 1-Jarred Kelenic/Triston Casas(HS Bats)
                                Rd 2-Blaze Alexander(HS SS with Best Arm in Draft and can stick at SS-iffy bat)
                                Rd 2S-Nick Meyer(College C-best defensive C in draft but need position and can save some $$)

Rd 3-10 Wouldn't mind in Rd 3 we go with BPA who will sign for slot/3 or 4 College Arms/Offensive C like Schwarz or Raleigh/Injured Arm like Holton,Gingery,Rasmussen and rest have 1 tool atleast

Doubtful we take many college position players early(beside C) since our Low Level Teams already have a logjam

I would say we should take C Cody Roberts from UNC again BUT he just had the Molina injury(OUCH)
                                http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/a...211306704.html
                                Last edited by tjfla; 05-29-2018, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X