2018 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    Please, whatever they do, draft a hitter. we have plenty of arms, we need to continue to replenish our position players.
    Looks like that is the plan.HS Bats!! Nolan Gorman,Jarred Kelenic,Connor Scott or Triston Casas seem to be the finalists. Then SS Blaze Alexander at Rd 2 or Rd2S

Comment

New Keith Law mock today too:

13. Miami Marlins: Carter Stewart, RHP, Eau Gallie HS, Melbourne, Florida

The best curveball in the class, with a fastball up to 98 mph, shouldn't last this far in the draft, but everyone's afraid of high school right-handers, and Stewart had a little hiccup at the end of his season due to a wrist injury. The Marlins also have been linked to Rodriguez and Weathers. Changes to the front office have left other teams wondering who's making the final call here and if longtime director Stan Meek's preference for big, hard-throwing prep pitchers, like Stewart, still holds.

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
        New Keith Law mock today too:

13. Miami Marlins: Carter Stewart, RHP, Eau Gallie HS, Melbourne, Florida

The best curveball in the class, with a fastball up to 98 mph, shouldn't last this far in the draft, but everyone's afraid of high school right-handers, and Stewart had a little hiccup at the end of his season due to a wrist injury. The Marlins also have been linked to Rodriguez and Weathers. Changes to the front office have left other teams wondering who's making the final call here and if longtime director Stan Meek's preference for big, hard-throwing prep pitchers, like Stewart, still holds.
        This is the question everyone has. I am hearing that Denbo is making the call and he prefers HS Bats with 4 "finalists". I have NO problem with Carter Stewart if we went HS arm(He is Meek type with has ++ curve and control too) but Rodriguez and Weathers are Stan Meek type picks(Rodriguez throws 98 from TX and Weathers is lefty) and would pass on them both

Also remember Keith Law was the guy who made 1 mock and in his next one took the guy off of us because he heard different info. No very in tune with our FO like he might be with others. 4 or 5 other "experts" have us going with HS Bats
        Last edited by tjfla; 05-31-2018, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
          Please, whatever they do, draft a hitter. we have plenty of arms, we need to continue to replenish our position players.
          I don't understand this line of thinking. First of all, in the draft you should take the best player. If you have a surplus of good talent at one position, that's a bonus because you can always move them for talent elsewhere, especially if the surplus is pitching. Secondly, while the Marlins do have pitching, they don't have very much high end pitching in the system. If you can get a front line pitcher at 13, you absolutely should.

Comment

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
            I don't understand this line of thinking. First of all, in the draft you should take the best player. If you have a surplus of good talent at one position, that's a bonus because you can always move them for talent elsewhere, especially if the surplus is pitching. Secondly, while the Marlins do have pitching, they don't have very much high end pitching in the system. If you can get a front line pitcher at 13, you absolutely should.
            Somewhat true. As I mentioned in earlier post,IF we like some of our older(21/22 yr old)bats and wanna give them a shot then u don't take anymore college bats early because only so many AB's to go around. We already have a full Batavia roster so if u wanna give guys like Hernandez,Torres,Reynolds,Encarnacion,Cespedes,Kar as AB's u don't take guys who stunt their growth

We can use older Catchers and MIF however so if we take College C or MIF it does make sense.

But pitching wise u are correct-u can never have too much pitching. If SP are BPA on board and will sign u take them no matter if u took 3 or 4 already. In fact I hope we take another "injured" arm like we have done in the past 4 drafts. Take a Gingery,Holton,Ramussen(All Top 3 Rd talent in Rd 9 or 10)

Comment

They could possibly have top end pitching potentially, but obviously you go best player available, but if it’s close I’d go hitter cause we have nothing in the way of high end hitting in the organization and we’ve done nothing but focus on pitching in just about every deal for the last year aside from the yelich deal

- - - - - - - - - -

Regardless, one thing I hope they do is sign whoever they take right away so we don’t waste development time negotiating insignificant amounts of money with our high picks

Comment

I hate the idea of Casas. This team really needs everything. Can't see using the 13th pick on a HS player who by all accounts is 1B only and although he has raw power lacks plate discipline. A power hitting 1B is the easiest position to fill and with all our other needs seems like a luxury this team just can't afford right now. Right now I am not one of the in Denbo I trust people and if that is the pick I will have even less of an opinion of him and his ability to eventually turn this franchise around. I hope they use it on the best player at that spot and not reach for him.

Comment

We should know fairly quick if Denbo or Meek is running the draft.

Meek likes
                  Big(6'5+) Lefty Arms
                  Guys from OK/MS/MO/TX
                  Multiple Sport Toolsy HS OF
                  At least 1 Kentucky Wildcat
                  Older College RP from Rd 15 on instead of taking chances
                  5th Rd College Pitcher
                  Taking injured College SP(Out for year)

His draft preferences are pretty set-doesn't take many chances. We should know pretty early on
                  Last edited by tjfla; 06-01-2018, 01:41 PM.

Comment

I want a college bat, but if Gorman drops to us id be very happy.

Comment

Fangraphs has us going

1 HS 2B Xavier Edwards
                      2 HS SS Blaze Alexander
                      2S College SP Aaron Hernandez

Edwards has been tied to Minn at #20 and NYY later so maybe we take him save a few bucks(Doubtful since he is a Vandy guy)?? Look like HS bat is what they want and makes sense

Edwards is Dee Gordon. 5'8 165 Switch Hitter 70+ speed but no power. Most teams have him as a SS but if we take Blaze Alexander in Rd 2 we will likely make Edwards a 2B but he could stick at SS very easily.
                      Last edited by tjfla; 06-02-2018, 01:00 PM.

Comment

2018 Slot 13. Marlins: $4,038,200
                        2017 Slot 13. Marlins: $3,875,800 Rogers signed for 3,400,000

I would be fine with Casas OR Edwards if they wanna sign for between 3.5 and 3.6 mil(Save 500K). But if they want slot I prefer Connor Scott/Kelenic/Gorman. U can't give Casas or Edwards 4 million

Twins at #20 are 3,120,000
                        NYY at #23 are 2.815,000
                        Last edited by tjfla; 06-02-2018, 01:26 PM.

Comment

New mock drafts on draft day:

Law doesn't seem to know much of what the Marlins are doing. Everyone else seems to think the Marlins are looking at HS bats.

MLB.com:
                          13. Marlins
                          Mayo: Jarred Kelenic, OF, Waukesha (Wisc.) West HS -- Like with the Blue Jays, the buzz around this pick is about high school hitters. Connor Scott, the Florida prep outfielder, is a possibility, but Kelenic's bat and all-around tools could be too much to pass up.
                          Callis: Jarred Kelenic, OF, Waukesha (Wis.) West HS -- Unless a prep pitcher drops, Miami appears to be monitoring many of the same hitters as Toronto. Kelenic would be a nice value here, as he seems to be in mixes all over the top 10, but he may not find a home there.

Keith Law:
                          13. Miami Marlins: Grayson Rodriguez, RHP, Nacogdoches (Texas) HS

I said in my last mock this would be an almost obvious pick under the old regime -- if the Tyrell Corporation hired Stan Meek, all replicants would be big, physical, hard-throwing high school pitchers from Texas or Oklahoma. Whether the new regime feels the same way about this class of players is unclear.

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                            New mock drafts on draft day:

Law doesn't seem to know much of what the Marlins are doing. Everyone else seems to think the Marlins are looking at HS bats.

MLB.com:
                            13. Marlins
                            Mayo: Jarred Kelenic, OF, Waukesha (Wisc.) West HS -- Like with the Blue Jays, the buzz around this pick is about high school hitters. Connor Scott, the Florida prep outfielder, is a possibility, but Kelenic's bat and all-around tools could be too much to pass up.
                            Callis: Jarred Kelenic, OF, Waukesha (Wis.) West HS -- Unless a prep pitcher drops, Miami appears to be monitoring many of the same hitters as Toronto. Kelenic would be a nice value here, as he seems to be in mixes all over the top 10, but he may not find a home there.

Keith Law:
                            13. Miami Marlins: Grayson Rodriguez, RHP, Nacogdoches (Texas) HS

I said in my last mock this would be an almost obvious pick under the old regime -- if the Tyrell Corporation hired Stan Meek, all replicants would be big, physical, hard-throwing high school pitchers from Texas or Oklahoma. Whether the new regime feels the same way about this class of players is unclear.
                            Law seems like he's throwing darts, but that doesn't mean he'll be wrong. If Stan Meek is indeed running the draft, that could very likely be the pick.

Comment

Law seems like he's throwing darts, but that doesn't mean he'll be wrong. If Stan Meek is indeed running the draft, that could very likely be the pick.
                              Ya Keith Law is the last person I would look at for us. He knows NOTHING about Miami. Grayson Rodriguez is a Meek pick but all indications is Denbo is running this draft

- - - - - - - - - -

Big Day for us

Oakland and Toronto picks are gonna be ones we have to watch. They like HS bats as well

Cincy and SD are talking about taking below slot guy and then take Kyler Murray in 2nd Rd(This would help us and make another top guy drop). For the people who don't understand the draft,Cincy and SD have talked to Murray's people and got his number in Rd 2 so if they want him they can take a cheap guy at #5 or #7 and then use that cash on Murray.

Nothing new for us. They like HS bats-Gorman,Kelenic,Scott,Edwards,Casas. Which one depends on whose around since they like them ALL

Comment

I'm still holding out hope for Gorman, with some late rumors saying Atlanta might be looking at a prep arm, but I'd be happy with Kelenic, Casas, Scott, or Naylor if they really are going for a HS bat. I'd be ok with Edwards, too, because I think he profiles to be a good player, even if he won't bring power.

I don't care that Casas is a 1B only. If his power ends up reaching its potential, it will be a good pick. With Scott, I do worry about the power, but he's a high upside player, and that's what they need, regardless of the position.

Comment

Working...
                                X