2012-2013 MLB Off-Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
    Not that they are re-spending the money wisely but there were people upset that the media didn't treat the Red Sox trade the same as the Marlins mid-season trade last season. Well now they signed Napoli and most likely Victorino.
    The Victorino signing is absolutely horrendous and if the Marlins gave him that kind of money, this entire board would be ripping them and "EHEing" all over the place.
    --------------------
    I find everyone's love for the Nationals here pretty humorous, too. They were perennially one of the biggest laughingstocks in sports up until last year.
    Last edited by Valid; 12-04-2012, 05:34 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Why shouldn't we like what Washington is doing these days?

No one said they were a great franchise, but they're going in that direction

Comment

• Originally posted by Valid View Post
        The Victorino signing is absolutely horrendous and if the Marlins gave him that kind of money, this entire board would be ripping them and "EHEing" all over the place.
        --------------------
        I find everyone's love for the Nationals here pretty humorous, too. They were perennially one of the biggest laughingstocks in sports up until last year.
        I know everyone here would hate of the Marlins did that, I wasn't talking about here though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valid View Post
          Jim Bowden was at the helm when they were the laughing stocks.

Now Mike Rizzo is and while he's done a couple very questionable things (Werth), he's also done some real good things.

Comment

• Not to mention it helps having the top pick when Strasburg and Harper are the top pick.

Comment

• they still had to pay them, though. we wouldn't have
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• I'd like to believe that even the Marlins would have paid both of those guys

(probably traded away salary first, but they would have signed those guys)

Comment

• NASHVILLE, Tenn.

A blockbuster could be in the works.

A variety of three-, four- and even five-team trades are in play at the winter meetings, mostly involving the same clubs and same principal players, according to major-league sources.

The clubs: Arizona, Cleveland, Texas and Tampa Bay.

The principal players: Diamondbacks right fielder Justin Upton, Indians shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera, Rays right-hander James Shields and, most likely, Texas prospects.

One proposed deal, according to sources, would send Upton to Texas and Cabrera to Arizona, with Cleveland likely receiving a package of young talent, possibly including Texas infielder Mike Olt (Tampa Bay would not be part of that particular trade).

None of the deals was close as of early Wednesday morning, and none is likely to come to fruition, considering the difficulty of putting such trades together, sources said.

In fact, the number of players and prospects under discussion is so vast, some club officials involved in the talks are not even certain which combinations are alive and which are not.

The motivations, though, are fairly clear.

The Rangers want Upton. The Diamondbacks want a shortstop. The Indians want to turn expensive veterans such as Cabrera into younger pieces and the Rays want to trade a pitcher for a hitter.

However, all of the teams involved are talking to other clubs, and the Rangers also are pursuing the two biggest free agents, outfielder Josh Hamilton and right-hander Zack Greinke.

The signing of either player could force Texas to shift direction in trade talks — the return of Hamilton, for example, would reduce the possibility of the Rangers trading for Upton.

Traditional two-team deals also are possible, sources said — the Indians, for example, have discussed sending Cabrera to the Diamondbacks, and the Rays have discussed sending Shields to the Rangers.

Will any of the above happen? At this point, it cannot be said that any trade is likely. But there is no limit to the proposals that teams exchange at the meetings. And sometimes, a blockbuster is the result.
                  Will meetings produce a blockbuster?

Comment

• How late am I to the party in finding out that Gary Sheffield is now an agent?

Comment

• kind of late, but not everyone knows this

Comment

• Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst
                        Randy Choate has agreed to a deal with the #STLCardinals. More to come at http://ESPN.com
                        He's pretty good.
                        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• The Royals might be willing to give Wil Meyers for James Shields. Are they dumb or are they dumb?

Comment

• Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
                            Would think #royals would have to give up more than just wil myers for big game james
                            bobbob...

Comment

• I did it.
                              poop

Comment

• please have him fired

Comment

Working...
                                X