No announcement yet.

Pujolsapalooza: Multiple Reports - 10 Year Contract with Angels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stick to your guns. The contract in it's own right is a NTC as no one can afford it anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramp View Post
      Also, at the end... I expect STL to up their offer one final time and Albert sign with them. Really hard to imagine him leaving that franchise.
      That sounds like the ultimate cocktease...and what will most likely happen.

Comment

• If we give Pujols a NTC, I will strongly enjoy when Hanley walks because we wouldn't give him one.

Comment

• At least I'm off today to follow this one. With my luck, we probably won't get him and I've been up since 9:30 am on my day off for nothing.

Comment

• I still think worrying too much about the future when you can land the most landscape-altering player in the bigs is rather nitpicky, but to each his own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valid View Post
              I still think worrying too much about the future when you can land the most landscape-altering player in the bigs is rather nitpicky, but to each his own.
              Yeah, I really don't care about the future right now. In part because no one really knows how much Loria is going to be willing to spend in the future.

Anyone have this team down for 350+ million being spent in free agency this winter? I didn't.

Comment

• I mean I agree with you for the most part, but you still gotta have SOME KIND of limits.

If a 10 year $200+ million deal won't get it done without a no trade clause, then fuck him.

Comment

• The Cards' offer for Pujols is still from January. I really doubt they would make their final offer back then.

Even if we doesn't sign with us, this has been really fun and Buehrle/Wilson are still out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                    I mean I agree with you for the most part, but you still gotta have SOME KIND of limits.

If a 10 year $200+ million deal won't get it done without a no trade clause, then fuck him.
                    I just don't see what the big deal is, though.

If you're offering someone 10 years, 200+ million, you're not offering that to end up trading him.

The likelihood of anyone being traded with such a contract is slim. Not too many teams can afford such a contract at the end of the day. If we're trading him, the value in return won't be great because he'll be in his mid-30's and likely already declining a bit.

If you're willing to give him this long-term deal, you might as well just give him what he wants now.

Comment

• Even though I didn't/don't want him for the years and money I will be a little disappointed if we don't get him. I agree with hugg about the NTC.
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• I want the ability to trade him if he puts up an .820 ops in 2013 like Ramp expects.

Comment

• Except no one would want him for that money at that point anyway.

Comment

• Oh, we'd find someone.
                            --------------------
                            The Nationals
                            Last edited by HUGG; 12-06-2011, 12:32 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• DALLAS -- Just when you think the Marlins can't possibly make any more noise, they rattle the baseball world again. At least two sources were reporting late Monday that the Marlins, hungry to reel in the biggest fish out there, upped their offer to Albert Pujols to 10 years.

Yes, you read right. TEN years, or enough to keep the paychecks coming until he's 42. Twice they met with Pujols' agent, Dan Lozano, on Monday. And they are expected to sit down with Lozano again today as they try to woo Pujols away from the Cardinals, whose fans are becoming increasingly nervous.

"Pujols is next," a trusted baseball man told me yesterday after the Marlins put a ceremonial cap and jersey top on closer Heath Bell. "And (Mark) Buehrle and (C.J.) Wilson, too. They're in big on all three. You heard it here first."

I have a REAL hard time believing that, in addition to Bell and Jose Reyes, whom they've already landed, the Marlins have the resources to unload a Brinks trunk on Pujols AND Buehrle AND Wilson. But the guy insists its possible.

Consider: with the signings of Reyes and Bell, the Marlins have already committed $70-75 million to eight players in 2012, depending on how Reyes' contract is structured. Add in another $12 to $15 million for the five arbitration players they'll likely keep (Anibal Sanchez, Emilio Bonifacio, Edward Mujica, Burke Badenhop and Chris Volstad). That brings the total to about $82-90 million. That still leaves a dozen players needed to fill out the roster. Sure, some of those (Logan Morrison and Mike Stanton, for example) remain cheap. But if you're going to add a Pujuls and his $20 million and Buehrle and his $15 million, you're talking eight zeroes, easily topping $100 million.

This is all owner Jeffrey Loria. He's calling all the shots, running the show, and -- yes -- emptying the team's coffers on pricy players they never before imagined. He's sitting in on all the meetings, with Lozano and every other agent, and making the sales pitches. He traveled to the Dominican Republic last month to eyeball Yoenis Cespdes and was in on the recent visits to South Florida by Pujols, Reyes, Buehrle and Wilson.

Someone asked Loria yesterday if he was serious about all this. His response: "I'm a serious man."

So now comes Day 2 of the winter meetings. Hold on to your seats.
                              http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_...#ixzz1fmTPvr7L

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                                Stick to your guns. The contract in it's own right is a NTC as no one can afford it anyway.
                                I say fuck it. The Marlins would keep him no matter what for all star game 2015 (have to be getting that right?), which is 4 years into the deal, leaving only a 5th year exposed. He would get 10-5 rights in year 6 meaning he has a no trade.

And like, I think Swift, said. Can always waive that no trade clause.

Do it. Trade Morrison for a SP, trade Gaby/Dominguez/Oviedo/Volstad for a 5th SP, sign a LF (preferably Willingham for Ramp), and two bench bats, and OMGZ WHAT A TEAM

Comment

Working...
                                X