2024 Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
    Do away with Interleague. Stay at 162. Expand to 32.

3 teams in your division 18 times(9h/9r)

Rotate the other 3 divisions. Play one division 12 times(6h/6r). Play one division 9 times(2 teams 6h/3r; 2 teams 3h/6r). Play one division 6 times(3h/3r).

Do away with the Wild Card. Only 4 division winners make playoffs.
    Problem is the playoff revenue. They need that.

Also to add to my longer post above - shorten spring training by 1 week. The pitchers can ramp up in 3+ weeks easily and with lowering the schedule by say 9 games, they can add 3 more off days per team to April so that is an organic ramp up that month, etc.

Comment

• I think I am higher on Conine than some.

IMO his bat, with a normalized BABIP, will be a similar offensive profile to Burger. Except with pretty good defense at the OF corner. Not a premier offensive player, but a solid 6 or 7th bat like Burger.
      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
      Noah Perio
      Jupiter
      39 AB
      15 H
      0 2B
      0 3B
      0 HR
      0 BB
      .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
        I think I am higher on Conine than some.

IMO his bat, with a normalized BABIP, will be a similar offensive profile to Burger. Except with pretty good defense at the OF corner. Not a premier offensive player, but a solid 6 or 7th bat like Burger.
        It's all about the whiffs and chase rates. None of Conine, Stowers, Norby, Myers, or Hill are going to be good players whiffing over 30% of the time with terrible chase rates. I know that isn't a ground breaking statement. Burger has gotten the whiffs down to 25.9% for perspective (it was over 30% same age as Conine to be fair), and while he chases everything (8th percentile woof), he really hammers the ball when he hits it (80th percentile across all the metrics) so he can survive. Conine isn't showing those hard hit rates right now so he's really going to have to make more contact, but it's a SSS so who knows.

I don't love how Conine whiffed more against right handers than left handers which is a bad omen to me as he'd likely have to survive in a splits role similar to Sanchez. It's a SSS so maybe he'll improve, but the MiLB time isn't encouraging. Stowers, Norby, and Dane hit the ball harder when they got it last year so they are all a rung or two up for me, and Hill is just a bench lefty killer. They will frankly be lucky to get 1 player out of these guys as believing they all cut their whiff rate by 5% is a lot. It's probably going to be Norby as he has the best track record and is the youngest so he would be most apt to adjust, make more contact, beat out some hits (94th percentile sprint speed), and become at minimum a serviceable .260+ hitter.

I'd worry about the 40 man crunch for Conine. They will probably keep 21 pitchers even if they churn the last few like Baumann or Petersen.

C - Ramirez, Fortes, Banfield
        1B - Burger, Bride, DDLS
        2B - Edwards, Otto, Serna, Brujan
        SS -
        3B - Norby, Pauley
        LF - Stowers, Dane, Conine
        CF - Hill, Sanoja, Mesa Jr.
        RF - Sanchez
        (19)

DFA - Pereda, Hensley

They probably need four bats - bridge catcher, SS, 3B/OF, and a CF. They can probably get away with a MiLB deal with a veteran catcher with the understanding they'll move to the 40 when Eury is able to be IL'd, but three of those bolds aren't going to make it to spring training via just 40 man churning absent other moves (i.e. trading one of the 2B for depth elsewhere as the team's 3rd 2B can't be a top 7-8 longterm name on the overall position depth chart, etc.).

We shall see.

Hope anyone in Tampa area is OK. Tropicana looks terrible.

Comment

• Well I see everyone is done with baseball, but some AFL news.

Aldermann (80 raw power in case anyone forgot) has opened in four games with five home runs in 19 PA (.412/.474/1.294 (1.768)) with a 2/4 BB/K rate. Two mega prospects (C. Emerson (SEA) and E. Salas (SDP)) are on the team so it's a good bench mark so see how he does versus them. For perspective, Aldermann hit 8 HR in 300 PA across for minor league levels so this is hopefully a guy starting to get healthy (he was hurt earlier in the year) and starting to figure it out. Marsee hit the AFL hard last year too, but this might be a nice end of season good news if he shows well.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
            Well I see everyone is done with baseball, but some AFL news.

Aldermann (80 raw power in case anyone forgot) has opened in four games with five home runs in 19 PA (.412/.474/1.294 (1.768)) with a 2/4 BB/K rate. Two mega prospects (C. Emerson (SEA) and E. Salas (SDP)) are on the team so it's a good bench mark so see how he does versus them. For perspective, Aldermann hit 8 HR in 300 PA across for minor league levels so this is hopefully a guy starting to get healthy (he was hurt earlier in the year) and starting to figure it out. Marsee hit the AFL hard last year too, but this might be a nice end of season good news if he shows well.
            I was done with baseball long ago lol.

anyway, partly because it’s the offseason now…

http://soflamarlins.com/forum/miami-...fseason-thread

Comment

Working...
            X