No announcement yet.

2024 Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theres literally not a single thing this organization has done since sherman took over that would indicate that they will outbid the best teams in the league for 1 free agent for 20+ million. Lous been doing the same thing for years. Whether it's bringing back Realmuto, then we did it the next year with this same position with Turner, Correa, Bogaerts, and specifically Swanson, then it was Nimmo, then last year it was Bellinger, Snell for pitching depth, Jordan Montgomery, Gurriel or Teoscar Hernandez, Candelario, etc. etc. etc. Never any reflection whatsoever as to how fucking ridiculous it is that he even brings those types of guys up at all, let alone doing it year after year after year. It's not going to happen. these 9 paragraph posts with depth charts that are the same thing over and over and over again are such a fucking waste of time and space.
    Last edited by fish16; 08-14-2024, 01:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post

Which does not mean I am penciling them in.

It means - they have the ability to do this move on personnel and payroll levels and this is a stark contrast to "they can't afford him crowd."

They can, it's a choice to not spend. It's not an excuse. They can't afford Soto. They can afford Adames/Kim. Or they can continue to half-ass it. But this deadline doesn't say that to me.
      is someone saying they cant afford him? Youve done the math 45 fucking times. They just gutted the whole team of contracts outside of Sandy and the remaining of Garcia's deal. No one is saying they cant afford it. We're telling you they will continue to "half-ass" it as you referred to it. They arent spending for Adames at the 5 or 6 years and 110-130 million he will get. it's simply not happening. Not sure how you cant grasp that yet when you do this for these kinds of free agents every fucking august through november. you're not breaking news by saying they have payroll available to plug guys into their biggest holes. No fucking shit.

Comment

• they also shouldnt be going after adames at the price he will command anyways if it's more than a 3 or 4 year deal. He's not good enough to get one of those deep into his 30's contracts. They either have traded, or will trade for, their next long term SS. That player will be cheap for years under team control.

Comment

I note, wouldn't a $15-20m Candelario or Chapman look pretty good at 3B right now, to then move a SP for some SS/CF help and they'd have money to do that? They fucked up there just like they fucked up with Correa.
          Did they fuck up? Or was signing these guys never even a consideration?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick View Post

Did they fuck up? Or was signing these guys never even a consideration?
            candelario would have been an awful contract like i said when lou wanted to trade for him at the deadline then give him a big extension. guys got a negative war this year and is a terrible fielder according to fangraphs. Chapman they never would have signed. He got 18 million for 3 years with an opt out after every season, which he is going to opt out this offseason.

Which also completely ignores the entire point- they have 0 interest in signing these big time free agents, which is why it is a complete waste of time to do this every august through december.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post

is someone saying they cant afford him? Youve done the math 45 fucking times. They just gutted the whole team of contracts outside of Sandy and the remaining of Garcia's deal. No one is saying they cant afford it. We're telling you they will continue to "half-ass" it as you referred to it. They arent spending for Adames at the 5 or 6 years and 110-130 million he will get. it's simply not happening. Not sure how you cant grasp that yet when you do this for these kinds of free agents every fucking august through november. you're not breaking news by saying they have payroll available to plug guys into their biggest holes. No fucking shit.
              Yes

And I don't disagree with you

Comment

Yes

And I don't disagree with you
                who is saying they cant afford him?

Comment

theres literally not a single thing this organization has done since sherman took over that would indicate that they will outbid the best teams in the league for 1 free agent for 20+ million. Lous been doing the same thing for years. Whether it's bringing back Realmuto, then we did it the next year with this same position with Turner, Correa, Bogaerts, and specifically Swanson, then it was Nimmo, then last year it was Bellinger, Snell for pitching depth, Jordan Montgomery, Gurriel or Teoscar Hernandez, Candelario, etc. etc. etc. Never any reflection whatsoever as to how fucking ridiculous it is that he even brings those types of guys up at all, let alone doing it year after year after year. It's not going to happen. these 9 paragraph posts with depth charts that are the same thing over and over and over again are such a fucking waste of time and space.
                  I didn't want half those guys, but yes they should have signed Correa, Swanson, or Nimmo in particular. Now, it's moved to Adames/Kim/maybe Chapman due to needs and availability.

Not sure what is being missed here - I keep asking the same question. Is the expectation the Marlins drop payroll even further versus 2022-2024 levels - where in 2025, they will very arguably have their best team on paper since at least 2017 and maybe going back further? The pitching is very real. The bats are interesting, just missing a few of them for sure. So is Bruce so bad an owner, they do less when they have the highest potential?

Comment

I didn't want half those guys, but yes they should have signed Correa, Swanson, or Nimmo in particular. Now, it's moved to Adames/Kim/maybe Chapman due to needs and availability.

Not sure what is being missed here - I keep asking the same question. Is the expectation the Marlins drop payroll even further versus 2022-2024 levels - where in 2025, they will very arguably have their best team on paper since at least 2017 and maybe going back further? The pitching is very real. The bats are interesting, just missing a few of them for sure. So is Bruce so bad an owner, they do less when they have the highest potential?
                    they will spend money on guys on 1 or 2 year deals. they will not spend money on one of the best free agents available for 20+ million and 5+ years. The only 5+ year deals you will see are signings from within. you're not breaking news by saying great free agents would be good signings. no shit. it's just not going to happen, and you continue to miss the fact that they have 0 intention of doing that and that you do this stupid 9 paragraph depth chart shit every year.

Comment

they will spend money on guys on 1 or 2 year deals. they will not spend money on one of the best free agents available for 20+ million and 5+ years. The only 5+ year deals you will see are signings from within. you're not breaking news by saying great free agents would be good signings. no shit. it's just not going to happen, and you continue to miss the fact that they have 0 intention of doing that and that you do this stupid 9 paragraph depth chart shit every year.
                      I'm not missing anything here. I just have an extremely hard time believing they lower payroll - again - for arguably the best team the franchise has had on paper in maybe 8-10 years. Since Fernandez easily. Bruce and Bendix are probably thrilled the bar is this low to surpass expectations, but Bruce has certainly earned that so I get it. There is a disconnect going on about talking about baseball, versus one saying "this will happen" or "this will not happen" and general team frustration (ignoring they look so much better recently). I'm not saying anything is going to happen. I'm waiting for the season to play out as frankly guys like Bride working out could really change some needs at 3B (he should be there every game), or maybe that's Norby at 3B if that is still an idea, or maybe Edwards defies all expectations and improves his SS defense, but I can map out payroll and players for years and think logically yes this is a real possibility payroll and personnel wise within Bruce's sandbox. And it makes sense. Spending some bucks is way less of a concern at any time in the last few years payroll wise since they cleared so much this year and got so many club controlled guys. It's a good thing. Peter is doing his job. Rocky start for sure, but he's finding his way IMO. And if they spend the same money on multiple FA and not 1 big one, hopefully it doesn't suck like Garcia, Soler, Segura, and Cueto did - who did make collectively $115m from the Marlins in guarantees which is kind of insane to type. $115m for those four. They have this kind of flexibility right now if Bendix sees the right guys for him out there.

We'll see what happens. And I hope you aren't right because signing Bader (2 years) as the big one in FA and not doing not much else besides more Brujans, Gordons, Fauchers, Brides, and Cronins would be groan inducing as they are a lot closer to being very good than most expect. An entire explosive rotation is hurt right now and that's going to play up in 2025 as the sheer quantity of everyone being hurt at the same time is unlikely to be forever. It'll be such a pity to waste it. I think Bendix gets it. Don't know where it lands, but you mention they give no indication of doing things, but I think this trade deadline was a big indication they have a real clear idea of what is next next even if we can't see it yet. We shall see.

Comment

I strongly disagree with this. We have 2 maybe 3 of 9 spots in the lineup established. I like the bats we have at AAA, but their still completely unproven, and you want to keep them down from 2 weeks to maybe 2 months. Who knows what the bullpen will look like. Adding Sandy doesn't make up for the loss of Arraez, Jazz, Bell, DLC and pretty much the entire bullpen. The rotation was awesome on paper this year, it didn't happen.

Comment

• What does Jonah Bride have to do the rest of the year to lock down the 2025 3B job?

Comment

• Cabrera yet again can't get Rojas out (the #9 hitter) with 2 outs and then gives up a grand slam.

I watched his whole outing. His worst by far of his last 4 or 5 starts.

Comment

• Cabrera is probably #3 of guys I’d be offering an extension to behind eury and Meyer. Obviously behind luzardo too if that’s an option but they will likely trade him. The guy just has 0 control. Over 150 walks in less than 260 innings. Just awful command

Comment

• Idk if bride has earned a starting spot next year, but he’s playing like he deserves to go into spring as the guy penciled in at a spot. His profile is very rays. Lower k rate, good walk rate, solid power

Comment

Working...
                                X