No announcement yet.

2024 Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put however much stock in it you want, but Mish was asked about Jazz the other day, and he said to stay tuned because there was going to be info on him in an upcoming article. This led to speculation about a trade or extension. Obviously the article hasn't been released yet, but someone asked him today for an update, and if they should buy a Jazz jersey. His response was that the article isn't done yet, but that he wouldn't buy a Jazz jersey. I still think Mish has good info even if his results lately have been mixed at best. But this, combined with the Bowden article where GMs listed Jazz as the top hitter they expect to be moved leads me to believe there's a decent chance he's getting traded.

Comment

• Bryan de la Cruz is a laughably bad baseball player. And he is probably their 3rd best hitter. They were 14 games over .500 this time last year and are going to be 29 games under after today

and they are going to trade jazz and don’t have a single top hitting prospect anywhere throughout the system

Comment

• I really like Dane Myers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick View Post
          I really like Dane Myers.
          He’s clearly got tools and it’s a joke that he has only 67 AB’s in over 2.5 months or so on the roster. This team has no ability to even tank properly.

Comment

• Troy Johnston Last 28 Days: .375/.412/.602 1.015 OPS
            Jacob Berry Last 28 Days: .288/.380/.550 .930 OPS

Signs of life at least.

Comment

• Another really bad recent trade that doesn't get talked about enough is Vesia and Hurt for Floro.

Vesia has been worth more since the trade and Hurt looks like a potential mid to top of the rotation starter.

Like...why?
              Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
              Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
              Noah Perio
              Jupiter
              39 AB
              15 H
              0 2B
              0 3B
              0 HR
              0 BB
              .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                Put however much stock in it you want, but Mish was asked about Jazz the other day, and he said to stay tuned because there was going to be info on him in an upcoming article. This led to speculation about a trade or extension. Obviously the article hasn't been released yet, but someone asked him today for an update, and if they should buy a Jazz jersey. His response was that the article isn't done yet, but that he wouldn't buy a Jazz jersey. I still think Mish has good info even if his results lately have been mixed at best. But this, combined with the Bowden article where GMs listed Jazz as the top hitter they expect to be moved leads me to believe there's a decent chance he's getting traded.
                I mean, it’s been pretty evident for a while now that it’s going to be a complete implosion/yet another 18-year rebuild, and that everyone with a pulse is going to be gone at some point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
                  Another really bad recent trade that doesn't get talked about enough is Vesia and Hurt for Floro.

Vesia has been worth more since the trade and Hurt looks like a potential mid to top of the rotation starter.

Like...why?
                  floro in the 3 years that he was here had a 3.2 WAR. In those 3 years vesia had a 2.4 WAR. Floro was good for us. Kyle hurt hadnt thrown a pitch for us before they traded him. Shit happens. We arent hurting for pitching. The trade itself was fine. I'm not sure why they felt the need to trade vesia at all though. They continually have these reliever only prospects that put up great numbers that they never want to give actual opportunities to at the big league level. Vesia was one. Nick Wittgren was another years ago who they finally reluctantly gave an opportunity to after 5 years of dominant minor league performance and he ended up being a nice middle reliever for years/. Maldonado hasnt been great this year but they were reluctant to give him even a chance at the major league level as well at the expense of some of the worst pitchers you've ever seen at the big league level getting chance after chance.

They are just a horrifically run organization.

Now they are going to trade Jazz for a mediocre return and fans will be upset because they have spent years acting as if they have a star in him when in reality he is nothing special. He is not a good defender in CF (maybe average at best), has been a platoon type guy up until this year, and is wildly injury prone and immature. I'm fine with trading him, but the reaction will 100% be why didnt they get more for him when in reality he's not that good. For his career he is a 103 WRC+, a 102 OPS+, does not appear to be very good in CF, and has a career .642 OPS against lefties. Some smart team will get the most out of him though and his numbers will improve overall because he will be treated like something closer to a platoon guy than a star level talent.

All while we dont have a single top hitting prospect from rookie ball to AAA while we will have one of the best and deepest rotations in baseball opening day next year when guys are back. It's just the dumbest organization you could possible imagine.
                  Last edited by fish16; 07-09-2024, 07:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post

Now they are going to trade Jazz for a mediocre return and fans will be upset because they have spent years acting as if they have a star in him when in reality he is nothing special. He is not a good defender in CF (maybe average at best), has been a platoon type guy up until this year, and is wildly injury prone and immature. I'm fine with trading him, but the reaction will 100% be why didnt they get more for him when in reality he's not that good. For his career he is a 103 WRC+, a 102 OPS+, does not appear to be very good in CF, and has a career .642 OPS against lefties. Some smart team will get the most out of him though and his numbers will improve overall because he will be treated like something closer to a platoon guy than a star level talent.
                    Luis Arraez has a 0.6 WAR this year.

Jazz Chisholm has a 1.4 WAR

Congratulations. You have reached clown levels never before seen on a sports forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post

floro in the 3 years that he was here had a 3.2 WAR. In those 3 years vesia had a 2.4 WAR. Floro was good for us. Kyle hurt hadnt thrown a pitch for us before they traded him. Shit happens. We arent hurting for pitching. The trade itself was fine. I'm not sure why they felt the need to trade vesia at all though. They continually have these reliever only prospects that put up great numbers that they never want to give actual opportunities to at the big league level. Vesia was one. Nick Wittgren was another years ago who they finally reluctantly gave an opportunity to after 5 years of dominant minor league performance and he ended up being a nice middle reliever for years/. Maldonado hasnt been great this year but they were reluctant to give him even a chance at the major league level as well at the expense of some of the worst pitchers you've ever seen at the big league level getting chance after chance.

All while we dont have a single top hitting prospect from rookie ball to AAA while we will have one of the best and deepest rotations in baseball opening day next year when guys are back. It's just the dumbest organization you could possible imagine.
                      Floro was worth 2.2 WAR for the Fish according to both BBref and Fangraphs.

I realize we aren't really hurting for pitching but having Vesia cost controlled in the bullpen and Hurt ready to slide in would be better than a mediocre 31 year old middle reliever.
                      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                      Noah Perio
                      Jupiter
                      39 AB
                      15 H
                      0 2B
                      0 3B
                      0 HR
                      0 BB
                      .385/.385/.385

Comment

Floro was worth 2.2 WAR for the Fish according to both BBref and Fangraphs.

I realize we aren't really hurting for pitching but having Vesia cost controlled in the bullpen and Hurt ready to slide in would be better than a mediocre 31 year old middle reliever.
                        he wasnt. You're not counting last year. Floro had a 1.0 WAR last year prior to being traded according to fangraphs. I disagree with that evaluation because he was pretty fucking awful last year before we dealt him but thats what fangraphs has. So he was at 3.2 in 2 and a half seasons here and Vesia was at 2.4 in 3 full years in LA. Not the best trade but way way down the list of issues over the last few years.
                        Last edited by fish16; 07-09-2024, 10:02 AM.

Comment

• 1 WAR was for the whole season, including the trade to Minnesota, not what he did in Miami.

So yea, trading a 24 year old who has provided more value for the team since the trade along with another arm with huge upside for a mediocre 31 year old who was probably going to be DFA'd before the end of spring training that year was pretty dumb.
                          Noah Perio
                          Jupiter
                          39 AB
                          15 H
                          0 2B
                          0 3B
                          0 HR
                          0 BB
                          .385/.385/.385

Comment

1 WAR was for the whole season, including the trade to Minnesota, not what he did in Miami.

So yea, trading a 24 year old who has provided more value for the team since the trade along with another arm with huge upside for a mediocre 31 year old who was probably going to be DFA'd before the end of spring training that year was pretty dumb.
                            i mean, no, it wasnt. you're flat out reading the site incorrectly. their numbers don't add up, but if you hit the button that says partial seasons, it breaks down his year last year. He had 1.1 WAR total, 1.0 for the marlins in 39 innings and .2 for the twins in 17 innings. Again, those numbers dont add up to 1.1, but that's what the site actually says.

Vesia had less WAR in the 3 years in LA that Floro was here in miami. Floro was very good for us. He was a very reliable middle reliever. Had a FIP of 2.81, 3.13, and 2.96 in his 3 years here.

I think you're overrating vesia. He's a nice middle reliever lefty. He's nothing special. It was a good reliever for good reliever trade, and they developed Hurt well. To say Hurt had "huge upside" is also a great monday morning QB. He was a 5th round pick in the covid draft. They did a good job developing him.
                            Last edited by fish16; 07-09-2024, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• Mish suggesting the return for Jazz will be young prospects. “I would be surprised if a single player they get back in any deadline deal plays opening day in 2025”. It’s going to be a depressing couple of years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post

Luis Arraez has a 0.6 WAR this year.

Jazz Chisholm has a 1.4 WAR

Congratulations. You have reached clown levels never before seen on a sports forum.
                                I go away for 2 months as couldn’t take the stupid any longer and enjoyed the Panthers amazing run, and this is the first thing here and we’re STILL on this and trying to make Arraez great again? Oh man are you a glutton for punishment or what.

Just here to say this team sucks and they really need their entire rotation healthy (obviously). But main point is next post

Comment

Working...
                                X