2024 Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
    He also makes a shit ton of money just owning it. The team generates >$100 million before even selling a ticket.

There's a reason guys like Loria and now Sherman, Moreno, etc whine about how much it costs to own a team but make no effort to sell them.
    that's because of how much they appreciate, not really how much they make annually. And you have to sell to realize that appreciation. I highly doubt the marlins have been extremely profitable for Sherman thus far. not saying he's losing money, but it's really about the appreciation of the asset.

Comment

• Slogan idea

"Miami Marlins Baseball: CAN YOU SMELL WHAT WE ARE CIRCLING (2025)"

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
        Slogan idea

"Miami Marlins Baseball: CAN YOU SMELL WHAT WE ARE CIRCLING (2025)"
        The Rock ($800m) has a higher net worth than Bruce ($500m+) just to mention, according to google and all.

So does Gloria Estefan.

And basically every other owner in baseball, and the Dodgers current roster.

Because this guy is too poor to own a team.

Comment

• already articles out about the marlins trading arraez and luzardo. Padres reportedly called on arraez. If they give us Salas i would do it but they wont. Campusano and Jackson Merrill wouldnt hurt.

It was such a missed opportunity to not trade luzardo to the orioles in the offseason. Their AAA team could crush our major league team at this point. why is this team incapable of developing a farm system of studs like that despite years of rebuilding. they are going to be the new astros

A luzardo trade for say Mayo and Kjerstad/Cowser or even Westburg and then Arraez for Merill and Campusano completely changes the direction of this team.
          Last edited by fish16; 04-04-2024, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
            already articles out about the marlins trading arraez and luzardo. Padres reportedly called on arraez. If they give us Salas i would do it but they wont. Campusano and Jackson Merrill wouldnt hurt.

It was such a missed opportunity to not trade luzardo to the orioles in the offseason. Their AAA team could crush our major league team at this point. why is this team incapable of developing a farm system of studs like that despite years of rebuilding. they are going to be the new astros

A luzardo trade for say Mayo and Kjerstad/Cowser or even Westburg and then Arraez for Merill and Campusano completely changes the direction of this team.
            Well here is the article and it was an offseason trade proposal - https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/...s-luzardo.html

I wonder what they were offering. They have a lot of good stuff and all the names you mention make sense. I think Merrill is the headliner if they were to do it, as well as dump them Garcia, but take back Croenenworth which is payroll positive move for them. There is a lot of things they could have done here in a lot of permutations.

And yes this is exactly what I said in November. If the decision is to punt, make unapologetic baseball moves immediately and pull the rip cord. Versus being a half ass "contender" and doing the same thing in June/July when you inevitably fall out and just use that as an excuse to trade guys. Guys could get hurt or struggle. It's not worth the risk. You're not "giving something to the fans" by not trading those guys when the bottom fourth of the roster is a semi-disaster opening day. They frankly have made the worst decision. They should have first bought into the team and tried to you know, win some games which they could have done at a $120m payroll. Absent that, it was certainly moving Arraez, Luzardo, Scott, Bell (eat some money), Berti, Okert, and Chargois immediately as the "expensive" veteran guys, and then filling out the roster with all the Davis/Rosario/Taylor/Lorenzen guys to turn them into more Cooper-Weathers trades at the deadline and let the Johnston guys play just to see if you get lucky. But they choose to sign Tim Anderson only, make some flyers of high end prospect names and hope they late bloom as plan As, and not supplant the team at all with depth or proven veteran performance. Then guys got hurt and now have April innings issues. They made the objectively worst decision of all 3 options both for the fan base and for the longevity of the franchise. And that's why I think Bendix is a hack and clearly not ready for this job. He came into a team and fan situation he does not understand. I only hope he is a fast learner and realizes these unforced errors as frankly, he can recover quickly as the SP depth (when healthy) is as good a building block in baseball to build around, but its really just unfathomable to understand what they were thinking this offseason. Have some balls. Unapologetically trade guys and be honest with the fan base about it, and make a declaration we will be expanding payroll in 2025 but this was a necessary mini reset after 33-14 one run game luck and Sandy getting hurt. We'd all have begrudgingly gotten that as it isn't wrong and wouldn't be that mad in a Bruce payroll world because they are being honest about it and we can all see the SP map down the line even without Luzardo.

The only footnote is, if Luzardo, Arraez, and Scott are their mostly normal selves, they will probably get the same deal in June/July. That's not a bet they should have taken for said injury reasons, but so long as those 3 in particular don't get hurt, we may get to the same end result. So pray for the health and no severe regression for those 3 and all may get forgiven. I do think half the American league will try to trade for those 3 if they become available so just stay healthy. Trading those 3 will likely be the 2024 season highlight.

Comment

• Tommy John for Eury on Monday. Thus team is fucking cursed.

Comment

• just comically bad. super glad they were so careful with him last year. if only there were 20 years of precedent to show that doesnt work and most guys will end up getting TJ at some point.
                Last edited by fish16; 04-04-2024, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• worst part is, there is a very good chance they caused this by not only sending him down, but by not allowing him to pitch in games for like 30 days or whatever it was. Either that or continuing to throw him out there this spring with a finger issue that probably led to him overcompensating. Just complete fuckery

Plus, he had allowed 1 run or less in 7 of 8 starts before they shut him down. just completely unnecessary.
                  Last edited by fish16; 04-04-2024, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• oh, and since he is on the ML roster, we are about to lose 2 fucking years of service time for him because he's not going to be ready till the middle of next year. They should sign him now.

Comment

• Don’t worry. We don’t need any more pitching!

Comment

• We’re officially in Annus Horribilis territory, gentlemen.

And that’s not a proctological diagnosis, though it might as well be.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                          Don’t worry. We don’t need any more pitching!
                          do you want them to continue to add pitching to the point where you are capably able to replace Sandy and Eury being out for the year plus Garrett and Cabrera missing significant time? All on a team that has no hitting talent to begin with? There isnt a single team in baseball that can sustain those losses, especially when that's the strength of your team. Sometimes you just fold and move on to next year. Which is what they should do immediately. Tank the season.

Comment

• Jesus Christ you guys broke this one for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                              Slogan idea

"Miami Marlins Baseball: CAN YOU SMELL WHAT WE ARE CIRCLING (2026)"
                              Fixed

Comment

• I’m actually glad this is happening now. I fully predicted this, but thought they’d try to rehab him and he’d wind up getting it in August. Doing it now gives the opportunity for him to come back next year

Comment

Working...
                                X