No announcement yet.

Capozzi: Fox, Wiley Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I'm just thinking about it too much in football terms, when the opposite would be true

(i.e. rarely do you see HS head coach -> d3 head coach -> d2 head coach - > d1aa head coach -> d1a head coach. instead, you usually see something like d1a grad assistant -> d1a quality control coach -> d1a position coach -> d1a coordinator -> d1a head coach. repeat for the different levels as well. every coach at every level i know/knew said you'd be better off as an assistant at a higher level b/c you get pigeonholed as being a coach in the level you're in).

maybe baseball's different

oh and i guess i should clarify that "in prior work" i also (partially) meant in working for the pub def's office (which i do now) and working at better position at district court level v. lower position working at appellate court level (if one wants to eventually do appellate work)
    Last edited by wanks1212; 10-07-2009, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Just because I was interested, here's a list I made of the 30 MLB managers and their paths to being a MLB manager:

Dave Trembley: MILB manager > bullpen coach > manager
      Terry Francona: dad's coattails > MILB manager > MLB 3B coach > manager
      Ozzie Guillen: 3B coach > manager
      Eric Wedge: MILB manager > manager
      Jim Leyland: MILB coach > MILB manager > 3B coach > manager
      Trey Hillman: scout > MILB coach > MILB manager > director of player development > Japan manager > manager
      Mike Scioscia: MILB coach > bench coach > MILB manager > manager
      Ron Gardenhire: MILB manager > 3B coach > manager
      Joe Girardi: bench coach > manager
      Bob Geren: MILB manager > bench coach > manager
      Don Wakamatsu: MILB manager > MILB coach > bench coach > 3B coach > bench coach > manager
      Joe Maddon: MILB manager > bullpen coach > 1B coach > bench coach > manager
      Ron Washington: MILB coach > 1B coach > 3B coach > manager
      Cito Gaston: hitting coach > manager
      AJ Hinch: manager of MILB operations > director of player development > manager
      Bobby Cox: MILB manager > 1B coach > manager
      Lou Piniella: hitting coach > manager > GM > manager
      Dusty Baker: 1B coach > hitting coach > manager
      Jim Tracy: MILB manager > bench coach > manager
      Fredi Gonzalez: MILB manager > 3B coach > MILB manager > bench coach > manager
      Cecil Cooper: bench coach > MILB manager > bench coach > manager
      Joe Torre: player-manager > manager
      Ken Macha: bullpen coach > 3B coach > MILB manager > bench coach > manager
      Jerry Manuel: MILB coach > MILB manager > 3B coach > bench coach > manager
      Charlie Manuel: scout > MILB manager > hitting coach > manager
      John Russell: MILB manager > 3B coach > MILB manager > manager
      Tony La Russa: MILB manager > coach > MILB manager > manager
      Bud Black: pitching coach > manager
      Bruce Bochy: MILB manager > 3B coach > manager
      Jim Riggleman: MILB manager > 1B coach > manager > bench coach > manager
      As you can see, only 5 managers were ever a 1B coach, and only one (Dusty Baker) actually started out as a 1B coach. 21 were, at some point, a manager in the minors.
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

You really need a hobby sir.

Comment

Awesome list. Playing position prior to coaching/managing would have been cool too.

Comment

That's some fine detective work Lou

Comment

pretty sure it's been shown most are catchers and then pitchers, though i could be wrong about that
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                Every fan of every team hates their third base coach

it's a fact
                I <3 Rich Donnelly.

The chicken ran at midnight!

Comment

The Marlins are expected to contact Phillies minor-league consultant and former Arizona and Seattle pitching coach Bryan Price about their vacant pitching coach job
                  http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/co...276472-p2.html

Comment

I dig Bryan Price

Comment

On the radar for the Marlins' pitching coach position is Bryan Price.

The Marlins, however, are not alone.

"He's on everybody's list," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told the Cincinnati Enquirer.

The Marlins have contacted Price, who has drawn interest from a few other teams, including the Reds.

Years ago, Florida president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest worked for the Mariners when Price also was in the organization.

There also is speculation that Price may be waiting to see what Bob Melvin does. Melvin and Price are close friends, and both opened the season with the Diamondbacks. But when Melvin was dismissed as manager, Price stepped down out of loyalty.

Melvin is a candidate for the Astros managerial job.

The Marlins are in the market for a pitching coach after Mark Wiley was not retained. The team also has a bullpen coaching position open because Steve Foster turned down a contract to return.

There are a number of names on the market who are drawing attention for pitching coach jobs. Not all necessarily choices for the Marlins. But these are names within the industry that are being tossed around for a number of teams.

Carl Willis was recently released as pitching coach of the Indians. Chuck Hernandez was athe Indians bullpen coach before being dismissed.

A name to keep an eye on is Bryan Harvey, an original Marlin, who is the pitching coach for Double-A Tulsa in the Rockies system. Harvey's son, Kris, pitched for Florida's Class A Jupiter squad this season.

Rick Peterson is a front-runner for the Brewers pitching coach job. He formerly was with the A's and Mets. Peterson has also been linked to the Reds.

Dick Pole was dismissed earlier this month as the Reds pitching coach, but he is highly respected.

Another possible candidate to return as a big league pitching coach is Tom Hume, formerly with the Reds.
                      The Fish Pond

Comment

as long as Rick Peterson doesn't come here, please

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
                          I don't agree with letting Wiley go. He got a career year out of Ricky last year and was a big part of JJ taking the leap this year.
                          What leap did JJ make this year? His 1.30WHIP and 3.10ERA in 2006 as a rookie and his 3.61ERA and 1.35WHIP in 2008 returning from injury weren't good enough for you?

Comment

I'd rather have Scott Peterson

Comment

I'd rather have Laci Peterson

Comment

gimme Adrian Peterson

Comment

Working...
                                X