No announcement yet.

Offseason Discussion - Positions Players/Bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you guys think of Marco Scutaro or Placido Polanco (even though I'm sure Scutaro will be out of our price range based on his '09 season)?

Comment

• Originally posted by FishFanInPA View Post
      Sporting News Today mentions us as possible destinations for Brian Giles, Austin Kearns and Rick Ankiel. Any interest in any of the three?
      Spring training invite and milb contract. Can't guarantee anything to these guys.

Although if any of them turn into 2 years ago, huge steal.

Comment

• Originally posted by m26555 View Post
        What would you guys think of Marco Scutaro or Placido Polanco (even though I'm sure Scutaro will be out of our price range based on his '09 season)?
        both out of our price range

Comment

• According to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com (via Twitter), the Marlins have some amount of interest in free-agent infielder Jamey Carroll.

Gonzalez spoke Wednesday with Carroll's agent, Jonathan Maurer, who said the Marlins are pursuing the 35-year-old infielder, but not as aggressively as some other teams. According to Maurer, 10 other clubs have expressed interest in Carroll, who hit .276/.355/.340 in 2009 and played solid defense at three different spots on the Cleveland infield.
          MLBTR

I wouldn't be too opposed to this. He has no power, but the guy knows how to get on base and is a plus defender.
          Last edited by m26555; 11-18-2009, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• carroll would be fine as a utility infielder, but this team won't use him as a utility infielder. they'll probably start him at 3B

Comment

• Isn't one Carroll enough?

Comment

• this is terrifying, because if they are shopping for a utility middle infield type (and why not sign Amezaga for cheaper than Carroll if you want that? Unless it's health), that means Bonifacio won't be the utility middle infield type, meaning Bonifacio is going to start at 2B or be in AAA, meaning he's going to start at 2B.

Which means I'm going to have a heart attack when Uggla is traded, Coghlan LF, Bonifaco 2B.

Comment

• or maybe, and I'm hoping this is the case, we are looking at Jamey Carroll for starting 3b

would be great and awesome and best

Comment

• gaby/boner/hanley/jamey carroll in the infield. i see it now.
                    Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• And then we can have Brothers Carroll Day at the ballpark where kids get tshirt jerseys of one Carroll or the other

then when the FO finds out they aren't actual brothers, they will deny that it was nothing more than a coincidence

Comment

• like mike jacobs on jewish heritage day!

/gets the reference
                        Originally posted by Madman81
                        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• The Marlins and Jamey Carroll
                          MIAMI -- Well, there is an interest. But right now, it isn't much -- at least not as much as several other clubs.

In a phone interview on Wednesday afternoon, Jamey Carroll's agent, Jonathan Maurer, said the Marlins have inquired about his versatile client as a utility man, but they would also prefer somebody with a little more experience at shortstop.

Maurer said he has received interest from 11 teams -- most of them on the West coast, though he wouldn't go into specifics -- and a few have been more aggressive than the Marlins. That makes sense, considering Florida still technically has second baseman Dan Uggla and third baseman Jorge Cantu on its roster. Uggla has been the subject of trade rumors, and if he does indeed get dealt, the Marlins' interest in Carroll could increase.

Maurer, who said the Marlins have basically "touched base," has a good relationship with Florida. Right-hander Tim Wood is one of his clients, and Triple-A New Orleans pitching coach Scott Mitchell was the first athlete he ever signed.

For now, though, he'll just wait and see.

"I have the utmost respect for [general manager] Mike Hill and the Marlins," Maurer said. "I've worked with them for years, and Jamey would be very excited to consider the Florida Marlins, should they extend an offer at some point -- when offers can be extended. But at this point, there are other clubs a lot more aggressive than the Marlins. I'm not asking for the Marlins to be aggressive. It's just, at this point, they have a second baseman and a third baseman."

Carroll, 35, is a good defensive player at second and third base and is a pretty good on-base guy. He also has experience at shortstop -- though he hasn't played it since 2007 -- and has registered 16 career games in the outfield.

In his eighth season in the big leagues this past season, he batted .276/.355/.340, adding 26 RBIs and 53 runs scored in 93 games. For his career, the right-handed hitter has batted .273 with a .351 on-base percentage.

The exclusive negotiating window between clubs and their own free agents ends on Friday. Maurer and the Marlins will likely be in touch more thereafter.

"There's some very aggressive clubs, and we would be very excited to explore Florida in greater detail after Friday, should they call," he said. "But just being frank, I think some other clubs are certainly more aggressive.

"I would love for Jamey to be a part of that organization because it's run well, they're good guys, I trust them, and it'd be a great fit -- for Jamey and the club."
                          http://hotstove.mlblogs.com/archives...y_carroll.html
                          Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                          Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                          Tom Koehler(4-0)
                          AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

• Joining in on the "not sure why this wouldn't just be Amezaga" thing. Carroll can at least hit, but at the role we're giving them, I don't suspect greater than 150 PA are to be had.
                            Marlin Maniac, a Florida Marlins blog
                            Come attend Intro to Sabermetrics 101!
                            Writer, Beyond the Box Score

Comment

• Originally posted by SFiercex4 View Post
                              Joining in on the "not sure why this wouldn't just be Amezaga" thing. Carroll can at least hit, but at the role we're giving them, I don't suspect greater than 150 PA are to be had.
                              Umm...if he fills the Amezaga role, just recent history suggests he'll get at least 350 PAs.

In each of his full seasons with us, Amezaga received as many as 448 PAs and as few as 337.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swift View Post
                                Umm...if he fills the Amezaga role, just recent history suggests he'll get at least 350 PAs.

In each of his full seasons with us, Amezaga received as many as 448 PAs and as few as 337.
                                Yea, he did start 80+ and 90+ games in 2006 and 2007, and then dropped into the 60s for 2008. That may be a bit much for a Carroll type considering what we have. But it would easily be double 150 PA at an absolute minimum. And like you said, well more if they actually view him as someone who they can start at 3B a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X