Bowden: Marlins Trade JT Realmuto to Phillies for Alfaro, Sanchez, Two Others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
    Lee, I don't disagree that TB has a great system. But there was never ANY indication they were seriously in on Realmuto.

- - - - - - - - - -

Like, I'd have loved to trade JT for Vlad Jr, but the Blue Jays weren't in on the deal, you know?
    We have to agree to disagree. I'm guessing that a dozen teams were in on Realmuto if the ask wasn't their top prospect. Philly, as reported, was shopping Sanchez because of his injury history. Marlins were really in no position to gamble like this.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
    Why go for one great prospect? Baseball teams draft 30+ players every year and you can find players like Fox, Lowe, and Solak everywhere. It is much more rare to get a pitcher with the natural talent of Sixto. The Marlins have drafted 2 in almost 30 years (Beckett and Jose). If you have the chance to get someone that has ace potential, you have to go for it.
    If you can find players like Fox, Lowe and Solak everywhere, why don't the Marlins have any?

Comment

Lee, I feel strongly that ONE of Diaz, Brinson or Harrison goes on to become an above average MLB starter. I think seeing it otherwise is quite pessimistic. And I’m generally pessimistic.

Comment

I don't think you know better than actual reporters, and there were no reports other than the Rays being "interested" that suggest the Rays were ever really serious, regardless of the ask.

Sixto was being shopped (supposedly) due to conditioning, not injury history. Also, you don't think the Marlins FO knew that given how all these reporters knew it?

This was good value, plain and simple.
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
          Lee, I feel strongly that ONE of Diaz, Brinson or Harrison goes on to become an above average MLB starter. I think seeing it otherwise is quite pessimistic. And I’m generally pessimistic.
          Darn right I'm pessimistic about those guys. I subscribed to MiLB broadcasts so I could watch every Jacksonville game last season.

- - - - - - - - - -

I don't think you know better than actual reporters, and there were no reports other than the Rays being "interested" that suggest the Rays were ever really serious, regardless of the ask.

Sixto was being shopped (supposedly) due to conditioning, not injury history. Also, you don't think the Marlins FO knew that given how all these reporters knew it?

This was good value, plain and simple.
          Marlins wanted to be able to claim a win on a Realmuto trade by advertising they got a top prospect ... pure and simple. We'll be able to watch it play out.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
            We have to agree to disagree. I'm guessing that a dozen teams were in on Realmuto if the ask wasn't their top prospect. Philly, as reported, was shopping Sanchez because of his injury history. Marlins were really in no position to gamble like this.

- - - - - - - - - -

If you can find players like Fox, Lowe and Solak everywhere, why don't the Marlins have any?
            They don't? Solak is 24 in AA. Fox is a year younger than Diaz and has a .664 OPS over 3 minor league seasons. Lowe is 24 and his upside seems to be similar to Brian Anderson.

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
              They don't? Solak is 24 in AA. Fox is a year younger than Diaz and has a .664 OPS over 3 minor league seasons. Lowe is 24 and his upside seems to be similar to Brian Anderson.
              Solak and B Lowe are exacty like Brian Anderson! I want Brian Andersons all over the field. Who wouldn't?

Comment

you just said the Marlins don't have anyone like those guys

but they do
                Originally posted by Madman81
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

but they do
                  Exactly. The point is you can find solid baseball players everywhere...but if you want to find a star, you have to take a risk. That is why you acquire Sixto and not 3 infielders that MAY one day become Brian Anderson (and that's not an insult...I really like Anderson).

Comment

but they do
                    Who do the Marlins have in their system that approach Solak at 2b, B Lowe in the OF, N Lowe at 1B? R Hernandez at C? Check out the Montgomery Biscuits AA stat sheet. Unfortunatey (or fortunately), it's all water under the bridge now. Go Marlins. I look forward to visiting with a bunch of players tomorrow at Fanfest.
                    Last edited by Lee Stone; 02-08-2019, 08:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
                      Who do the Marlins have in their system that approach Solak at 2b, B Lowe in the OF, N Lowe at 1B? R Hernandez at C? Check out the Montgomery Biscuits AA stat sheet.
                      My point is that you don't trade an All Star catcher trying to find Solaks and Lowes. Every team can find those type of players somewhere. If you are trading Realmuto, then you need to try and find a star. Sixto has that type of ability. Will he become that? Nobody can possibly know, but I'd rather take the chance on his talent then getting 2 or 3 less talented guys back.

Comment

Who do the Marlins have in their system that approach Solak at 2b, B Lowe in the OF, N Lowe at 1B? R Hernandez at C? Check out the Montgomery Biscuits AA stat sheet. Unfortunatey (or fortunately), it's all water under the bridge now. Go Marlins. I look forward to visiting with a bunch of players tomorrow at Fanfest.
                        I'm not the biggest Isan Diaz fan, but to say that he's just as good of a prospect as Solak I think is safe to say considering Diaz is a year and a half younger than Solak, and had similar numbers to Solak in AA. Yeah Diaz struggled in AAA a little, but Solak hasn't even made it to AAA yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                          I'm not the biggest Isan Diaz fan, but to say that he's just as good of a prospect as Solak I think is safe to say considering Diaz is a year and a half younger than Solak, and had similar numbers to Solak in AA. Yeah Diaz struggled in AAA a little, but Solak hasn't even made it to AAA yet.
                          In fairness to your namesake Solak, he was actually a lot better than Diaz in the same AA league. As to AAA, Diaz certainly didn't "earn" his way there. The promotion was a result of injuries at New Orleans that left the team short a second baseman. I sure hope that Diaz somehow pans out because there is no one waiting in the wings.
                          Last edited by Lee Stone; 02-08-2019, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                            wish we had fuck you money to just offer kimbrel an enormous 1 year deal and then deal him at the deadline. im interested to see who the marlins sign as a potential RP to flip
                            I believe we do have “fuck you money”...they barely have any payroll obligations so why not?

Comment

In fairness to your namesake Solak, he was actually a lot better than Diaz in the same AA league. As to AAA, Diaz certainly didn't "earn" his way there. The promotion was a result of injuries at New Orleans that left the team short a second baseman.
                              At the time of Diaz's AAA call up they had very similar numbers. Diaz was at a tougher level at AAA, and Solak continued to hit at a level that he's borderline too old for. I know age and level mean absolutely nothing to you, so I don't know what I'm doing here.
                              Last edited by Nick; 02-08-2019, 08:52 AM.

Comment

• I believe we’re undervaluing Alfaro in the deal. Considering the lack of talent at the position, Alfaro could definitely be a top 10 catcher in the game. He has a lot of raw talent, and is way more exciting than the catchers we were rumored to get from other organizations.

Comment

Working...
                                X