No announcement yet.

Bowden: Marlins Trade JT Realmuto to Phillies for Alfaro, Sanchez, Two Others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowden: Marlins Trade JT Realmuto to Phillies for Alfaro, Sanchez, Two Others

per Jim Bowden. So...maybe?

- - - - - - - - - -

Will Stewart supposedly one of the others coming to us
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
    per Jim Bowden. So...maybe?

Will Stewart supposedly one of the others coming to us
    He is a perfect 4th player. I mentioned him earlier in the laundry list of FV40 lefty relievers.

Comment

stewart looks like a potential guy that we make into a useful lefty reliever #4 piece. give me a good 3rd piece and i love this deal.

Comment

Stewart was an under-the-radar 20th rounder from an Alabama high school in 2015 and was mostly anonymous his first two pro summers until showing some progress in 2017 during his third summer in a short-season league, then breaking out this year in Low-A. Stewart primarily relies on an above average low-90s sinker that helped him post a 62% groundball rate in 2018, ranking fourth among qualified pitchers in all of the minor leagues. His slider is his best secondary pitch, but all three grade as various versions of average; his control, if not his command, is above average. The main hurdles to Stewart becoming an innings-eating starter is whether there is enough swing-and-miss in his repertoire, and if his strike-heavy approach will need to change in the upper minors.

It's like a lefty Yamamoto with the groundballs

Comment

Jeff Passan

Verified account

@JeffPassan
          1m1 minute ago
          More
          Philadelphia and Miami are in agreement on a trade that would send All-Star catcher J.T. Realmuto to the Phillies for catcher Jorge Alfaro, pitching prospects Sixto Sanchez and Will Stewart, and an international bonus slot, league sources familiar with the deal tell ESPN.
          interesting.

Comment

Stewart as the 3rd piece is a bit of a letdown after hearing the other names, but IFA money works for me. That's like an additional player.
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

would have preferred adding a reliever and just getting a better 3rd prospect but still love the deal. sixto is the ace type we've been looking for

- - - - - - - - - -

how does the international slot work for us?

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                would have preferred adding a reliever and just getting a better 3rd prospect but still love the deal. sixto is the ace type we've been looking for

- - - - - - - - - -

how does the international slot work for us?
                Is the international slot for this year or next?

Comment

Stewart is a little bit of a letdown. Not a bad prospect, but I was hoping for one of the bats in their top 10. I'd like to know the specifics of the international slot.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                    Stewart as the 3rd piece is a bit of a letdown after hearing the other names, but IFA money works for me. That's like an additional player.
                    Yea, if its enough money it works.

Looks like its as expected - Big name, much lesser 2nd and 3rd assets. We shall see if this turns out better than a better 2nd/3rd player deal.

Sixto turns into a 3 WAR starter, Marlins win here big.

Comment

Seems like a solid deal if unspectacular. They did

1. Replace Realmuto with a future, cheaper option.
                      2. Get a pitching prospect with ace potential (Sanchez)
                      3. Get a prospect who is doing well at a low end of the minors, possible breakout potential (Stewart)

Given the Marlins situation at the moment, that's kind of what they needed to do.

Comment

now you 100% go best bat in the draft next year and look to upcoming free agency in the coming years

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                          Stewart is a little bit of a letdown. Not a bad prospect, but I was hoping for one of the bats in their top 10. I'd like to know the specifics of the international slot.
                          Biggest concern is the Marlins have stacked up on starting pitching prospects and outfield prospects in the post 2017 tear down that it'll be interesting to see how they progress at other positions. They're basically banking on just one player at many of the infield positions to succeed for future purposes. Not really hedging their bets outside of the starting pitchers.

Comment

Well, that ends up being somewhat underwhelming. Sanchez is a great piece. He's the top prospect we needed to get. But a backup catcher, and a 3rd piece outside their top 10 isn't great filler, especially when we've heard about the Braves that they'd be charging a premium to keep him in the division. The IFA money is nice, but overall, I don't love this deal. But I guess it's better than I expected with what we've heard recently.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
                              Seems like a solid deal if unspectacular. They did

1. Replace Realmuto with a future, cheaper option.
                              2. Get a pitching prospect with ace potential (Sanchez)
                              3. Get a prospect who is doing well at a low end of the minors, possible breakout potential (Stewart)

Given the Marlins situation at the moment, that's kind of what they needed to do.
                              It's def solid.

Also - a lot of our message board banter was "yea throw in Conley."

Conley is turning into players in June/July for sure. Something.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                              now you 100% go best bat in the draft next year and look to upcoming free agency in the coming years
                              Pray the catchers are there

Comment

Working...
                              X