Bowden: Marlins Trade JT Realmuto to Phillies for Alfaro, Sanchez, Two Others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
    I believe we’re undervaluing Alfaro in the deal. Considering the lack of talent at the position, Alfaro could definitely be a top 10 catcher in the game. He has a lot of raw talent.
    A year ago he was a top 100 prospect. I know his K% was terrible last year, but he's only 25 and if he corrects that just a little, he should be a solid MLB catcher for a long time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
      If you can find players like Fox, Lowe and Solak everywhere, why don't the Marlins have any?
      You mean Anderson, Devers, and Holloway?

- - - - - - - - - -

Because that's the same level of prospect

Comment

• Nick???: I know age and level mean absolutely nothing to you, so I don't know what I'm doing here

Good grief. Some kids choose to attend college - that's not a bad thing. It just changes the timing of things. Diaz has been in professional baseball a lot longer than Solak.
        Last edited by Lee Stone; 02-08-2019, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• 3rd rounder, throw-in as a non prospect, 20th rounder

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
            A year ago he was a top 100 prospect. I know his K% was terrible last year, but he's only 25 and if he corrects that just a little, he should be a solid MLB catcher for a long time.
            .406 BABIP. We're talking major adjustments. Even if he gets a little bit better as a player, his average can still drop to .200 fast and then he is a less powerful Zunino instantly. And that is a good backup at best.

I'm most interested in the .782 RHP split. Even if that's inflated by said BABIP, he's a good strong side of a platoon with a 100 OPS RHP drop with his defense. Find a guy who hits lefties and you're looking like a pretty solid 2-3 WAR catcher situation for sure.

Comment

• because of his EV and the fact that he doesn't hit pop-ups and has top-shelf sprint speed he's going to be a legit high BABIP hitter, just not .400s high. A .350 BABIP isn't out of the question.

- - - - - - - - - -

also, had trouble blocking pitches but has an absolute cannon (with accuracy) behind the plate. The BABIP is a bit worrisome but I'm not freaked about it and don't see him as a .200 hitter.

- - - - - - - - - -

Worth noting that the projection systems are fairly aligned with him and none has this doomsday .200 BA scenario:. Steamer has him at .234/.285/.383, 11 HR 42 RBI. If there are adjustments he can make (Rosenthal said today some of our hitting guys saw changes they think would help) to cut down on K's then as far as I'm concerned, that's the floor. And I'm okay with that and plus plus defense under team control for 5 years.
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Heyman says Marlins offered Realmuto about $60 million over 5 years (comps to Martin, McCann) while Realmuto's team was looking for Posey money (around $167 million).

Comment

• Originally posted by geemoney View Post
                  Heyman says Marlins offered Realmuto about $60 million over 5 years (comps to Martin, McCann) while Realmuto's team was looking for Posey money (around $167 million).
                  About equally absurd I'd say.

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                    because of his EV and the fact that he doesn't hit pop-ups and has top-shelf sprint speed he's going to be a legit high BABIP hitter, just not .400s high. A .350 BABIP isn't out of the question.

- - - - - - - - - -

also, had trouble blocking pitches but has an absolute cannon (with accuracy) behind the plate. The BABIP is a bit worrisome but I'm not freaked about it and don't see him as a .200 hitter.

- - - - - - - - - -

Worth noting that the projection systems are fairly aligned with him and none has this doomsday .200 BA scenario:. Steamer has him at .234/.285/.383, 11 HR 42 RBI. If there are adjustments he can make (Rosenthal said today some of our hitting guys saw changes they think would help) to cut down on K's then as far as I'm concerned, that's the floor. And I'm okay with that and plus plus defense under team control for 5 years.
                    If that is his overall slash floor, it upticks to .700+ vs RHP, and his defense holds, they are certainly in business if they find someone who can hit lefties. I'm cautiously optimistic here.

It would be really great if they could find someone like Barnes who can hit lefties (.794 OPS career) and play in the field.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                    About equally absurd I'd say.
                    Yes, $60 is absurd, $80 was the number.

Comment

• Yes, $60 is absurd, $80 was the number.

Agree. Takes him through age 34 season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
                        Yes, $60 is absurd, $80 was the number.

Agree. Takes him through age 34 season.
                        A 5 year $80 million deal would be ages 28-32. You're pushing probably $120 to get him two through 34, which you wouldn't need to do as there is real leverage with 2 years from FA.

- - - - - - - - - -

::patiently awaits for Lee to remind us all catchers are replaceable and none have ever been a core playoff team member despite the fact they clearly have::

Comment

• Realmuto sucks, all catchers are replaceable, and also we didn't get enough for Realmuto.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                            Realmuto sucks, all catchers are replaceable, and also we didn't get enough for Realmuto.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UdsVO7HaJg

- - - - - - - - - -

https://tenor.com/view/gaby-sanchez-clothesline-baseball-fight-marlins-gif-11675505

- - - - - - - - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3niGu9d_pY

Comment

• Jon Heyman
                              ‏Verified account @JonHeyman
                              6h6 hours ago

Most others in on Realmuto were willing to surrender 1 big piece but not a 2nd big piece. Marlins sought 2 of May, Lux, Ruiz and Smith from LA (after it was clear Bellinger was going nowhere) and 2 of Riley, Pache and a big pitching prospect (ie Wright, Wilson, Anderson) from ATL

LAD was never in because they only would talk Ruiz and Atlanta was offer Riley and minor pieces

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                                .406 BABIP. We're talking major adjustments. Even if he gets a little bit better as a player, his average can still drop to .200 fast and then he is a less powerful Zunino instantly. And that is a good backup at best.

I'm most interested in the .782 RHP split. Even if that's inflated by said BABIP, he's a good strong side of a platoon with a 100 OPS RHP drop with his defense. Find a guy who hits lefties and you're looking like a pretty solid 2-3 WAR catcher situation for sure.
                                A .406 .BABIP is absurd, but, as has been pointed out, it’s not all luck. His batted ball data indicates he hits the ball hard when he’s not striking out.

Comment

Working...
                                X