NY Times Q+A with Loria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
    you just don't wanna mess up like the pirates who have a mural that includes ricardo rincon, jason kendall and francisco cordova alongside clemente, wagner and stargell
    That is fantastic, however. You'd imagine they'd hit it up with a 1997 and 2003 mural, or how about the no hitters foursome, or the ROY/Conine All Star MVP/Hanleys soon to be batting title, etc "awards wall." We have options here. We've had a lot more to cheer about than the Pirates the last 16 years.

I can't imagine a Pinto, Baker, and Cody wall is all I'm saying.

Comment

The stadium should pay homage to Miami baseball before the Marlins, Orange Bowl history before the new stadium. Miami has a really bad track record in preserving civic history and Miami's past (OB is gone, hello).

Pre-1993 Miami had 7 minor league championships (5 with the Miami Marlins, 2 the Sun Sox). The Orange Bowl site was the city's center stage for sporting/public events for 80 years, even when a bigger better stadium was built minutes north. Miami's first ballpark was built on the SW corner of the site and hosted Spring Training for many years. Satchel Fucking Paige pitched before the largest minor league crowd ever in his 50s on what will be centerfield. Bobby Maduro Stadium, built several miles away, was the Spring Training home of Earl Weaver's Orioles. The machine that was Hurricanes baseball were one of the biggest draws in college baseball before the Marlins came to town.

There is a story to tell this stadium needs to be the place where fans can become exposed to it.

Comment

First off, Loria should probably tell his team's best player that teal isn't the way to go anymore if he truly believes that.

Secondly, there's a large difference between looking forward and building something that's ugly. Art does not necessarily look bad at a new stadium, but let's design something for what it is. To be blunt, who gives a shit about colored rocks and paintings at a stadium if it isn't baseball related? Are you going to put baseball bats and gloves all over the walls of the Louvre? You're not, the same way that one wouldn't nail up the Mona Lisa at Monument Park. Art and sculptures are fine as long as its baseball related. Colored rocks are fine as long as they fit with the baseball theme.

I don't want to play home games at the Miami Art Museum. I also don't want to be wearing my current jerseys for a decade because I'm ashamed of our pastel colored nightmare jerseys. Or our bland, generic, lame jerseys. Don't fix a damn good thing.

Originally posted by Flum View Post
        I've been saying this since day one. This is going to be a gaudy stadium that will look passe and obsolete within minutes after its built, because whenever people try to make things look "modern," the result is just a timestamped piece of crap.

I wouldn't be surprised if our new uniforms our glittering silver unitards with holographic logos. "And now, we're proud to introduce the starting lineup for your 2012 Miami Doctor Evils!"
        --------------------

I think that points to one of Loria's biggest problems. He doesn't understand fans. People want a fucking baseball team whose players they can recognize for more than a season, not a multicolored mosaic with fancy lights.
        Agreed 100%. I really hope it doesn't turn into something that we'll love only because it's our own stadium, rather than it being a nice building.
        God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
        - Daft

Comment

I think if given the choice between being boring or letting Loria go for the home-run, I'd rather the generic boring blue. I am that afraid of what he'll cook up.

Comment

Why should Loria tell his teams best player about not liking teal?

Comment

Hanley has partially teal cleats and a partially teal glove. Had the glove for quite a while.
              God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
              - Daft

Comment

Eh

Comment

Originally posted by Sashimi View Post
                  If Loria were in fact gay, he'd have much better taste than he does. Have you seen the gaudy WS ring he helped design?
                  The stadium designs hes had a hand in have been hideous as well(all the way back to early renderings of Labatt Park in Montreal). Its very likely the stadium is an eyesore when all is said and done. But, at least its a venue to call their own.
                  Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                  Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                  Noah Perio
                  Jupiter
                  39 AB
                  15 H
                  0 2B
                  0 3B
                  0 HR
                  0 BB
                  .385/.385/.385

Comment

Comment

Yeah, hi Spike, we realize you just got here, but we do not care to go back to old threads we have finished with so that we may discuss them with you.

Comment

I apologize for that, I didnt even look at the dates. My bad.
                        Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                        Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                        Noah Perio
                        Jupiter
                        39 AB
                        15 H
                        0 2B
                        0 3B
                        0 HR
                        0 BB
                        .385/.385/.385

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
                          The stadium designs hes had a hand in have been hideous as well(all the way back to early renderings of Labatt Park in Montreal). Its very likely the stadium is an eyesore when all is said and done. But, at least its a venue to call their own.

I say it's very likely NOT an eyesore. In fact, your post made my eyes bleed and made me shake my head violently.

How about this. If this site is still around in 2012 we'll have a poll. If the majority of voters believe the new stadium is an eyesore I take a 6 month ban from the site.

If it goes the other way, you take a 6 month vacation.

You're probably thinking, "no way anyone remembers this in 3 years". I will.

Comment

ban bets are retarded

Comment

your souffle is retarded

Comment

well, yes

Comment

Working...
                                X