NY Times Q+A with Loria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY Times Q+A with Loria

When Jeffrey Loria says that the Florida Marlins’ new stadium will be a work of art, he means it literally. Loria, the owner of the Marlins, who made his money as an art dealer, is overseeing many of the details of the design of the park, which is expected to open in 2012 on the site of the old Orange Bowl in Miami’s Little Havana neighborhood.

In an office in his gallery on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, Loria talked about his vision for the stadium, which will have a retractable roof and 37,000 seats.

“The city of Miami is a new, electric city, so it called for something contemporary,” he said. “I wanted the stadium in a place where it would be a piece of sculpture. I wanted people to go to a ballgame to use their eyes and be in a facility that’s not just another retro stadium. Color is very important. The stadium will be bathed by light.”

Q. What were your inspirations?

A. I went to Barcelona to see the Miró Foundation and I thought his palette would be the most appropriate, which would be a great homage to Spain. There’s nothing wrong with retro, but it’s time to move ahead into the 21st century. I could have chosen an Art Deco design, but that’s looking back. There will be paintings, sculptures and colored lights.

Q. Are you deliberately trying to be different?

A. It’s not trying to be different, but being special to the city it will sit in. We’ll have colored stone, a plaza in front. I hope it will rejuvenate the area and provide energy for the community. I’m bringing 45 years of architectural experience, a lot of practicalities.

Q. Will you have the pools like at Land Shark Stadium?

A. There will be a beach area, we’ll have pools. A lot of the art elements will be fun, made to make you smile. The central feature will be in center field. We’ll work with Art in Public Places. There are no big outdoor sculptures yet. It’s a new franchise, so we need to give it time. But I want it to be a landmark. I want the experience to change from time to time, with paintings, photographs.

Q. The stadium will be on the site of the old Orange Bowl. Will there be tributes to the football played there?

A. We’ll pay homage to the Orange Bowl. We’re sensitive to the history of the site, the Dolphins, Miami. We see ourselves as the Americas Team.

Q. Will the team have new uniforms?

A. We’re two years away, but we started working on a new look for the uniforms, new colors, something special for the new home. Teal is a color for the ’90s. You have to be cognizant of your time. The seats will be a beautiful shade of blue.

Q. What stadium most closely resembles the Marlins’?

A. I’m interested in the sculptural experience, glass, marble, colored bricks, stones, wood. There’s no stadium that’s out there that approximates it because it will be so white and with primary colors all around. It sort of looks like a spaceship that just landed, something different, something people can call their own.
    Makes it all but certain that teal will be absolutely gone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/21/sp...oria.html?_r=1
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

lol at the "will there be a pool?"

a: THERE WILL BE LOTS OF ART

Comment

If I were Loria, I would have been up front and said something like "we'll have pools"

Comment

Originally posted by BeefWillingham View Post
        If I were Loria, I would have been up front and said something like "we'll have pools"
        THERE WILL BE ART

Comment

Based on his comments, I imagine our new jerseys will look something like the Rays' current model.

Blue, "modern," generic.

Oh, and there'll be art.

Comment

I was unaware that teal is passe in the 21st century. I'm glad someone who knows about art told me this before I made an ass of myself at a cocktail party.

Comment

I did like that Teal is so 90s!

Comment

Originally posted by Sashimi View Post
                I was unaware that teal is passe in the 21st century. I'm glad someone who knows about art told me this before I made an ass of myself at a cocktail party.
                I'm trying to think of all of the professional sports teams who had teal in their logo or uniforms in the 90's: San Antonio Spurs, Florida Marlins, Arizona Diamondbacks, Seattle Mariners, Vancouver Grizzlies. Anyone I'm forgetting?

Now: Marlins (Barely), Seattle Seahawks (Those god awful home uniforms are teal, I guess).

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but I don't think his point is wrong. Teal was a big part of a lot of really, really ugly uniforms in the 1990's and it has been much less a part of the sports world since.
                poop

Comment

"It came down to providing the greatest entertainment value for our fans. We asked ourselves, where is there greater value: a one year deal for a corner outfielder or in the Picasso generations of future fans can enjoy? At that point, the decision was easy."

-FO in the not too distant future

Comment

Dude sounds like he sucks a lot of cocks.

It's funny to hear him talk about how lavish and extraordinary it will be in the middle of a recession, while funded by taxpayer money.
                    Last edited by Metes; 09-21-2009, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                      I'm trying to think of all of the professional sports teams who had teal in their logo or uniforms in the 90's: San Antonio Spurs, Florida Marlins, Arizona Diamondbacks, Seattle Mariners, Vancouver Grizzlies. Anyone I'm forgetting?

Now: Marlins (Barely), Seattle Seahawks (Those god awful home uniforms are teal, I guess).

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but I don't think his point is wrong. Teal was a big part of a lot of really, really ugly uniforms in the 1990's and it has been much less a part of the sports world since.
                      Jacksonville Jaguars, Anaheim Mighty Ducks, Charlotte Hornets, San Jose Sharks

Most of those teams were 90s expansion teams.

Loria is correct, purple and teal where the it colors for uniform design in the 90s. Black, red and baby blue (esp. NBA) are the it colors for this decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Festa View Post
                        Jacksonville Jaguars, Anaheim Mighty Ducks, Charlotte Hornets, San Jose Sharks

Most of those teams were 90s expansion teams.

Loria is correct, purple and teal where the it colors for uniform design in the 90s. Black, red and baby blue (esp. NBA) are the it colors for this decade.
                        Ah, I forgot those teams.

I'm pretty sure Teal is all but gone in all of them but the Hornets and Sharks.
                        poop

Comment

I forgot the LA Galaxy but they don't count.

BTW teal is still a color for the Ms.

So...

MLB: Marlins, Mariners
                          NBA: Hornets
                          NHL: Sharks
                          NFL: Jaguars (not Seahawks)
                          MLS: None
                          --------------------
                          This is one of the things Loria is referencing. (if you read my posts in this forum you would already know )

Last edited by Party; 09-21-2009, 11:51 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

the galaxy do not rock teal

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                              the galaxy do not rock teal
                              They did for 6 years in the 90s.

http://sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=1556

Comment

Working...
                              X