No announcement yet.

Marlins Lose to Braves Again 3-5, Stanton Hits Mammoth HR to 2nd Deck in Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I'm lost on whatever point Jay was trying to make.

Comment

Good teams win throughout the season not just in the final 6 weeks. If we're above .500 at the deadline I don't expect them to be sellers. But chances are they aren't above .500 at the deadline and they don't sell because it's baseball but the only move they can make is to add a 5th starter cause they have nothing to give up.

- - - - - - - - - -

My point is they need to take advantage of the assets they have if they aren't above .500 at the deadline to improve next years team because they refuse to spend money.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
        Good teams win throughout the season not just in the final 6 weeks. If we're above .500 at the deadline I don't expect them to be sellers. But chances are they aren't above .500 at the deadline and they don't sell because it's baseball but the only move they can make is to add a 5th starter cause they have nothing to give up.
        They also have nothing worthy of selling that is worth getting excited about. Selling Dan Haren and, what seems like, a declining Steve Cishek is going to bring back a lot of nothing. So, even if this what you're thinking (which isn't necessarily true, some teams play better over the final 2 months), I don't see why any Marlins fan should look forward to selling this year. It's also pretty early to be having this discussion. It's May 17th.

Comment

we're getting no-hit, guys

Comment

Since the addition of the 2nd wildcard these are the teams that were under .500 on May 17th and made the playoffs:
            2014 Pirates (17-24) wildcard; lost NLWC
            2013 Athletics (21-22) division; lost ALDS
            2013 Dodgers (17-23) division; lost NLCS
            2012 Tigers (18-20) division; lost WS

Four teams in 3 years and only one of them won the wildcard.

Let's see how they did against division rivals
            overall (on May 17th)
            2014 Pirates 36-40 (13-19)
            2013 Athletics 44-32 (15-7)
            2013 Dodgers 37-39 (5-16)
            2012 Tigers 43-29 (8-7)

So you're all saying we're this years version of the Pirates.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
              Any word on Latos?
              Yeah. Terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                Yeah. Terrible.
                Latos hasn't been bad. He just needs to not face the Braves.

Comment

We all love to rip on the Carlos Lee trade, and for good reason, but if you actually look at the track record of them trading prospect for veterans, what I remember: Nick Johnson for Aaron Thompson, Arthur Rhodes for Gaby Hernandez, and Will Ohman for RVH. All of which were good trades - we trade C+ at best SP to fill holes with good players. Well, the LOOGY trades are kinda eh but again, we gave up nothing of large value and we filled a hole on our roster.

I don't particularly have a problem trading any of our pitchers not named Nicolino or Urena if the guy we get is actually good at his job. The problem with the Carlos Lee trade was we traded for a guy who sucked and gave up a lot more value for it.

(This is if we're basically .500)

- - - - - - - - - -

And there's a big difference between standing pat and selling.

Selling for the sole purpose of selling isn't really accomplishing anything. On top of which, we have nothing of value to sell. Getting a bunch of Steve Ames, Josh Wall, and Angel Sanchez who are going to be out of the organization in a year because they suck isn't going to help us down the line.

Might as well stand pat and see if guys can start performing. Not selling doesn't hurt us in the future, selling doesn't really help us in the future, so might as well hope for the best this year.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, and Jose is still a big IF of coming back healthy and all that.

But most teams don't get a top-5 starter in baseball mid-season.

And this is without hendo too.

We have an even run differential without our top two pitchers. That's encouraging. They come back healthy, we should be a lot better.

Comment

Working...
                  X