Marlins 2013 Off-season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
    So all the Middlebrooks and Trumbo talk is BS?

The Marlins currently have great pitching depth in their system and we all know how valuable pitching prospects are. They will also most likely have a very good pitcher available in the draft at #2. They should absolutely be looking to move some of that pitching for bats.
    Well they are looking for a 3B/BAT however Moran will be ready 2015 so doubt they would trade a Heaney or even Nicolino for either of them. LAA didn't have alot of interest in Alvarez at the deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      Well they are looking for a 3B/BAT however Moran will be ready 2015 so doubt they would trade a Heaney or even Nicolino for either of them. LAA didn't have alot of interest in Alvarez at the deadline.

Comment

What we need to do is see what Houston wants for Castro(who is also said to be on the market) and try to get him. While he is nothing special,he could be very servicable and cost alot less.
        A 26 year old catcher who hit .276/.350/.485 in his first full major league season.

Nothing special, guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
          Bryant can't be traded until June or July.
          Wonder if they're willing to part with Baez and what we'd have to give up.

Comment

Ya it shouldn't however it is not like Baltimore has to trade him. Baltimore is putting him out there to see what teams are willing to give up for him and with most teams not having a star catcher they should get a few nice offers. If we wanted him tho Heaney would more than likely have to be in the deal unless we included Alvarez or Eovaldi instead. They want a SP who can start right now

What we need to do is see what Houston wants for Castro(who is also said to be on the market) and try to get him. While he is nothing special,he could be very servicable and cost alot less.

From what have been hearing tho(Yes all BS) is we are not really looking to do anything right now. They have talked to a few minor FA about minor league deals/Chad Qualls as well as Juan Uribe thats about it
            I don't know man, from what I've read it seems like they already have some stuff in the works. They even asked Jennings if he's planning to "tweak" the roster, and he replied with something as "tweak? We need to do more than that or else we'll lose 98 games next year". I really want to see a full season of a healthy LoMo, and I don't think Trumbo should play 3B. Therefore, I'm going with the signing of Uribe and a trade for Castro. Not sure what they'll do with Brantly, but showed no signs of anything last year.

Comment

The Astros aren't going to trade Castro.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                The Astros aren't going to trade Castro.
                They have Max Stassi who seems to be just as good, waiting in AA.

Comment

Maybe a more accurate way to put it is that they're not going to trade him for anything we'd realistically offer.

“I’m not surprised that there would be interest in Jason. He’s clearly one of our most valuable players. I’m never going to say someone is untouchable. But we fully expect Jason to be on our club for a long time to come. He’s reaching his peak. He was our All-Star last year. He’s a team leader.

“He had a tremendous year. He’s an athletic catcher who can hit home runs and throw runners out. Those guys don’t exist very often, so I really don’t have a lot of interest in exploring that. Like I’ve always said, I’ll listen to anything if someone wants to talk to me.”
                  http://brianmctaggart.mlblogs.com/2013/11/12/2127405/

aka sure we'd trade him if someone offers us something ridiculous. This nonsense started because of a report that teams were interested in acquiring him, not that the Astros were interested in trading him.

He's club-controlled for 4 more years and was 4th in baseball in WAR among catchers.

Major League C WAR

1. Yadier Molina 5.6
                  2. Joe Mauer 5.2
                  3. Buster Posey 4.8
                  4. Jason Castro 4.3
                  Shit, it'd take less to get Weiters than Castro.
                  --------------------
                  Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                  They have Max Stassi who seems to be just as good, waiting in AA.
                  Teams don't usually trade their best player because he's blocking a kid in AA.

Castro WAR 4.3
                  WAR of the other 6 Astros with 300 PA combined 2.2

I still can't believe this guy got described as "nothing special" and "servicable" in this thread yesterday.
                  Last edited by HUGG; 11-14-2013, 06:20 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Maybe a more accurate way to put it is that they're not going to trade him for anything we'd realistically offer.

http://brianmctaggart.mlblogs.com/2013/11/12/2127405/

aka sure we'd trade him if someone offers us something ridiculous. This nonsense started because of a report that teams were interested in acquiring him, not that the Astros were interested in trading him.

He's club-controlled for 4 more years and was 4th in baseball in WAR among catchers.

Shit, it'd take less to get Weiters than Castro.
                    --------------------

Teams don't usually trade their best player because he's blocking a kid in AA.

Castro WAR 4.3
                    WAR of the other 6 Astros with 300 PA combined 2.2

I still can't believe this guy got described as "nothing special" and "servicable" in this thread yesterday.
                    Good post, Hugg; You're right.

I was just thinking, the Mariners have Jesus Montero and Mike Zunino. Maybe that's another route we can take. Trade for Trumbo first, and then turn around and trade LoMo+ for Montero. We can then sign Uribe for 2/10 or 2/12 and fill all our holes.

Comment

Jesus Montero allowed 23 stolen bases in 24 attempts in 26 games as a catcher last season. That's 4%. The year before, he allowed 54 in 65 attempts in 56 games, 17%. And that's not even getting into the passed balls and other receiving issues.

I'd rather start Jeff Mathis everyday at C than Montero.

And that's even assuming Montero eventually hits at some point.

Comment

Jesus Montero allowed 23 stolen bases in 24 attempts in 26 games as a catcher last season. That's 4%. The year before, he allowed 54 in 65 attempts in 56 games, 17%. And that's not even getting into the passed balls and other receiving issues.

I'd rather start Jeff Mathis everyday at C than Montero.

And that's even assuming Montero eventually hits at some point.
                        Geez, thats terrible. I had no idea.

Comment

I want them to sign Ed Easley. His numbers last year are obviously PCL ridiculousness, but he's still a .324/.420/.444 hitter against lefties over the last 3 seasons and he's a former 1st round pick, so there's some pedigree there.

He's a minor league free agent, no harm in bringing him in. Obviously, I don't expect him to be the answer to anything, but maybe we get lucky.

Comment

We should bring in Damion Easley.

Comment

I want them to sign Ed Easley. His numbers last year are obviously PCL ridiculousness, but he's still a .324/.420/.444 hitter against lefties over the last 3 seasons and he's a former 1st round pick, so there's some pedigree there.

He's a minor league free agent, no harm in bringing him in. Obviously, I don't expect him to be the answer to anything, but maybe we get lucky.
                              Seems like a guy who deserves a shot, but for that we can just give Brantly a shot in my opinion.

Comment

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 4m
                                Sources tell me and @jonmorosi that #Marlins are drawing significant trade interest in Logan Morrison. No deal close, Marlins listening…

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 5m
                                Morrison, after Stanton, was most asked about #Marlins player at GM meetings. Teams looking for power, 1B a position of increasing scarcity.

Comment

Working...
                                X