• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
    I'm not sure.
    I think you are. You're just thinging.
    poop

Comment

• 1.3 WAR in 2011, 1.6 in 2012. 0.1 in 2013. (B-R)
      0.5, 1.1, -0.6 Fangraphs

His BABIP dropped from .281 to .231 in 2013 despite his LD% jumping from 17% to 21%, that's fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
        I think you are. You're just thinging.
        I am not. The guy has a career .258 on-base percentage. I also don't understand why him potentially being slightly better than Brantly matters in the grand scheme of things. Can't we get a catcher who's sort of good at least?

Comment

Can't we get a catcher who's sort of good at least?
          No.

Comment

• We should try trading for one of the Reds catchers instead. Ryan Hanigan is probably available.

Comment

Can't we get a catcher who's sort of good at least?
              Maybe? That they could possibly acquire a better (though as-of-yet-unnamed) catcher at some point in the undetermined future should stop them from buying low on a player who is currently an improvement on what the team has?
              --------------------
              Originally posted by Erick View Post
              We should try trading for one of the Reds catchers instead. Ryan Hanigan is probably available.
              What is the point of trading for a 33-year-old?

I cannot understand why you would be cool with trading something for an alright 33-year-old, but hate the idea of getting a 28-year-old with at least some track record of not being dreadful for free. I don't get it.
              --------------------
              Originally posted by Erick View Post
              I am not.
              Also, I have to believe you are. There's no way you think he's not an upgrade over Rob Brantly, even with a low OBP.
              Last edited by Bobbob1313; 12-02-2013, 08:39 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
              poop

Comment

We should try trading for one of the Reds catchers instead. Ryan Hanigan is probably available.
                He hit .198/.306/.261 last season.

Last 3 years

Hanigan .251/.346/.323 .669 OPS
                Arencibia .214/.260/.410 .670 OPS

And Hanigan is 5 and a half years older

that seems weird Erick
                Last edited by HUGG; 12-02-2013, 08:45 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• On-base percentage is really important. It is not the only thing to take into account.
                  poop

Comment

• Hanigan is one of the best defensive catchers in the game, as well. And last year seems like an anomaly for him offensively.

Comment

• He's 33 and is a free agent next season. What does trading for him accomplish?
                      poop

Comment

He's 33 and is a free agent next season. What does trading for him accomplish?
                        The same thing trading for Arencibia accomplishes. Except their respective track records indicate that Hanigan is the better player.

Comment

• @MikeBerardino: Major league official tells me #mntwins are no longer "in the mix" on Pierzynski. He is "not going there" :

http://t.co/RFa133IpMn
                          Twitter

Since we're talking about catchers.

Comment

• Arencibia is five full years younger and two years further removed from free agency. Probably costs less too, both in terms of contract and trade.

Being a whole win better (maybe) next season is awesome though, I guess.
                            poop

Comment

Arencibia is five full years younger and two years further removed from free agency. Probably costs less too, both in terms of contract and trade.

Being a whole win better (maybe) next season is awesome though, I guess.
                              I guess I just think that Arencibia is awful. The one thing he does well is hit for power and his power #'s probably wouldn't translate here as is the case most of the time.

Maybe we should just stay with Jeff Mathis.

Comment

• He's a young-ish player who maybe turns into something down the road.

The Marlins' self-imposed budgetary limitations and philosophical opposition to spending on free agency means the team has to look for upside when possible.
                                poop

Comment

Working...
                                X