No announcement yet.

2013 Trade Deadline Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most scouts saw Heaney is a mid/back rotation guy from what I remember. And I think Nicolino's prospect status has taken a fairly significant hit. Still plenty of time to rebound but yeah.

Descalfini probably shouldn't be listed in that first group.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
      And I think Nicolino's prospect status has taken a fairly significant hit.
      MLB.com moved him up from 72 to 64 in their midseason update.
      --------------------
      Baseball Prospectus on Nicolino, July 2:

Justin Nicolino, LHP, Marlins (High-A Jupiter): 5.1 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 7 K. Nicolino has sort of flown under the radar in 2013. I’ve still heard many good things about him going forward. He has a potential plus-plus changeup and easy plus pitchability. On a podcast, I said, “Nicolino may be … a better major-league pitcher than a guy who is ranked on prospect lists.” I truly believe this may be the case
      Last edited by Bobbob1313; 08-01-2013, 10:09 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
      poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
        MLB.com moved him up from 72 to 64 in their midseason update.
        That's silly though.

Comment

• He's been damn lucky, but that 2.23 ERA this season looks mighty purty.

And Descalfini/Conley/Flynn are the second tier of pitching prospects to cling to, with Flynn likely being the best of them.

Comment

• But we're intelligent enough to know better.

Comment

• I WANNA BELIEVE

Comment

• All in all, it's pretty easy to find arms who can fill out the backend of a rotation.

I think Dim's point was that we should be fine considering the depth.
                The pitching staff should really not be a problem for some years. Take into account that the guy nobody talks about (Koehler) has pitched like a fine #4 this year, as well.

Worst-case scenario is that all of these guys need time and a Kevin Slowey fills out the backend of the rotation.

Our offense, however, is terrible.

Comment

But we're intelligent enough to know better.
                  We also haven't watched him pitch, while presumably somebody at Baseball America has.

This is also wholly out of line with his career norms.
                  poop

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
                    He's been damn lucky, but that 2.23 ERA this season looks mighty purty.

And Descalfini/Conley/Flynn are the second tier of pitching prospects to cling to, with Flynn likely being the best of them.
                    Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think Descalfini belongs in that group. Being nitpicky though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
                      Where is mibs these days?
                      Hi.

Comment

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think Descalfini belongs in that group. Being nitpicky though.
                        I think that's right.

I also think Conley is likely the best of those three listed, not Flynn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                          We also haven't watched him pitch, while presumably somebody at Baseball America has.

This is also wholly out of line with his career norms.
                          But the few scouting reports I've read on him basically all say average stuff and they've watched him pitch too. So I suppose we can cherry pick which ones we like best but I don't think that changes the fact that his prospect status has taken a hit.

This is not dooming him for forever obscurity. It's "he needs to turn this shit around. Let's wait and see."

Comment

But the few scouting reports I've read on him basically all say average stuff and they've watched him pitch too. So I suppose we can cherry pick which ones we like best but I don't think that changes the fact that his prospect status has taken a hit.
                            It's not cherry picking. I took the most recent writeup from Baseball Prospectus + his MLB.com ranking.
                            poop

Comment

• You believe he's the 64th best prospect in baseball?

Comment

• I honestly have no clue. None at all.

I'm not sure 100 innings where he struck out ~15 fewer batters than expected should be enough to change someone's opinion on him all that much, especially without having seen him pitch.

So, if they thought he was in that ballpark and are impressed with his stuff, I don't see why they ranking him there now is a travesty.
                                poop

Comment

Working...
                                X