• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by THE_REAL_MIBS View Post
    Hi.
    Damn it.
    Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
    Noah Perio
    Jupiter
    39 AB
    15 H
    0 2B
    0 3B
    0 HR
    0 BB
    .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
      I honestly have no clue. None at all.

I'm not sure 100 innings where he struck out ~15 fewer batters than expected should be enough to change someone's opinion on him all that much, especially without having seen him pitch.

So, if they thought he was in that ballpark and are impressed with his stuff, I don't see why they ranking him there now is a travesty.
      Worth noting that his groundball percentage is down and his line drive percentage is up. It's not just that his strikeouts are way down.

I also don't see why it's a bad thing to want strikeouts. Generally speaking, guys with high K rates have a lower babip and hr/fb%. Guys that strike out other guys are usually good.

Comment

• At the beginning of the year you gotta think that Pittsburgh (Cole, Tallion), Seattle (Walker, Hultzen), Arizona (Corbin, Bradley) New York (Wheeler, Harvey) were all ahead of us (Fernandez, Heaney.)

I wouldn't be mad if we acquired one or two more arms, but I do think 2B/3B should be more of a priority.
        Last edited by Miamarlin21; 08-01-2013, 10:50 PM.
        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
          Worth noting that his groundball percentage is down and his line drive percentage is up. It's not just that his strikeouts are way down.

I also don't see why it's a bad thing to want strikeouts. Generally speaking, guys with high K rates have a lower babip and hr/fb%. Guys that strike out other guys are usually good.
          I don't think I've implied that strikeouts aren't a good thing.

I'm just saying, his K rate is down, but the raw numbers aren't actually that big a deal due to the small sample size. If he had struck out 15 more batters, he's roughly in line with his career norms.

And the LD% and GB% rate are small enough changes that it could be random fluctuation. It could be meaningful, but it isn't necessarily the case.

So, if scouts think his stuff hasn't changed, I don't see much of a compelling reason to discount him based on this season.
          poop

Comment

• I'm most intrigued by Flynn simply because he's doing it at a higher level than the other guys.

8.92k/9 .241baa 3.14era 3.03fip .311babip (so no skewed luck going on) in AAA

big lefty who throws 92-94 and putting up those numbers

the report before the season was good fastball, needs to develop a change. no one writes anything about our prospects, so no idea if change development is what caused this leap, but would be the safest assumption

it's hard not to be excited about him
            --------------------
            Flynn's July: 5gs 34.2ip 23ha 12bb 31k .193/.267/.202 1.30era

he allowed 1 xbh (a double) the entire month
            Last edited by HUGG; 08-01-2013, 11:38 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Flynn is def really intriguing. And his size is awesome. Conley cool too. Sucks that Lowell still isn't pitching any word on his crap? Nice bunch of lefty prospects. Not to continue the Nicolino bashing but yea Flynn and Conley are cooler ATM.
              "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
              - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• We really could use another RH pitcher or two. We're stacked with "better" lefty prospects in the minors (Heaney, Flynn, Conley, Nicolino, Hand) compared to DeSclafani, Urena and Sanchez for righties. Granted, Conley, DeSclafani and Urena could go to the pen.
                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Anyhows here's Brian Flynn pitching with cat sounds in background.
                  [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvUs88ghJuw[/ame]
                  "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                  - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Flynn video on MILB.com

vs. Mike Olt, 6/29/13: http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.j...nt_id=28476515
                    vs. Donnie Murphy, 7/23/13: http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.j...nt_id=29090605
                    vs. Alex Castellanos, 7/28/13: http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.j...nt_id=29242889

Comment

• I like that slider.
                      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                      Noah Perio
                      Jupiter
                      39 AB
                      15 H
                      0 2B
                      0 3B
                      0 HR
                      0 BB
                      .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                        I don't think I've implied that strikeouts aren't a good thing.

I'm just saying, his K rate is down, but the raw numbers aren't actually that big a deal due to the small sample size. If he had struck out 15 more batters, he's roughly in line with his career norms.

And the LD% and GB% rate are small enough changes that it could be random fluctuation. It could be meaningful, but it isn't necessarily the case.

So, if scouts think his stuff hasn't changed, I don't see much of a compelling reason to discount him based on this season.
                        He's always been described as a guy with average stuff though that hid the ball well and was more polished as far as pitchability goes. His numbers now seem to reflect that, now that he's in more advanced leagues.

Comment

• They reflect that, but it could be a causality vs. correlation thing. It's probable too early to say. Which is why it is reasonable for his prospect rating to not have taken a hit.
                          poop

Comment

• We're a month away from the season being over. If his numbers don't improve in that time, you're still okay with saying he hasn't taken a hit?

Comment

• I would be more willing to say that then than I am now, sure. It would be more information.

But for now, I'm unconvinced. It's not even about saying yes or no. It's acknowledging that we're dealing with incomplete data.
                              poop

Comment

• I don't see anyway his prospect status hasn't taken some kind of hit.

Comment

Working...
                                X