Loria Encouraged Reyes to Buy House in Miami Days Before Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Swifty View Post
    CC - wouldn't you agree that the legal / accounting world faces competition from those within their field?
    Certainly. But there is no competition on the grounds I mentioned because you are going to be treated identically by all of the competitors.

Most rival firms hope that talent decides to switch because they think the grass will be greener on the otherside. It never is.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
      Man, some of you would hate to be Bulls fans.
      and PIRATES and ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I dunno, always enjoyed those Pirates and Royals jerseys

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonCane View Post
          Most rival firms hope that talent decides to switch because they think the grass will be greener on the otherside. It never is.
          Doesn't this, therefore, justify/explain the cutthroat practices and misleading promises?

It's impossible to point to any other field (outside of other professional sports leagues) and compare it and/or use it to justify practices in a professional sports league. Guaranteed contracts, lack of natural competition (especially MLB), a "rising tide lifts all boats" business foundation league wide (as opposed to a zero-sum-game), implied contract with the community.

It's just incredulous to say something to the effect of Simpson-Thacher does it, so the Marlins can do it.

Comment

I also think I'd be cool with this cutthroat strategy if it actually paid off.

This isn't like the Red Sox dumping a shit roster or the Rays getting rid of James Shields. This is something that's basically done out of turn when the ownership isn't happy with the unreasonable expectations it has.
            This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

And let's just go ahead and change the issue.

"Holding onto a guy" is not the same as 'lying.'
              Can you go back and read my post and see that what you apparently assumed I was saying is the opposite of what I was saying?

Comment

I never suggested that it did. I agree that these are bad practices for the marlins to use because they use it to save money and not improve the on-the-field product.

I was originally commenting on Omar's comment that no successful business does what the Marlins do. I disagreed and said that, in actuality, these cut throat practices are used by lots of successful businesses where there is highly skilled labor. I think the marlins are wrong to bring those practices into their business for some of the reasons you mention, but that's a different discussion than the one I was having with Omar.
                Last edited by CrimsonCane; 02-21-2013, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Doesn't this, therefore, justify/explain the cutthroat practices and misleading promises?

It's impossible to point to any other field (outside of other professional sports leagues) and compare it and/or use it to justify practices in a professional sports league. Guaranteed contracts, lack of natural competition (especially MLB), a "rising tide lifts all boats" business foundation league wide (as opposed to a zero-sum-game), implied contract with the community.

It's just incredulous to say something to the effect of Simpson-Thacher does it, so the Marlins can do it.
                  Do you believe there is not competition to attract and maintain player personnel?

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
                    I also think I'd be cool with this cutthroat strategy if it actually paid off.

This isn't like the Red Sox dumping a shit roster or the Rays getting rid of James Shields. This is something that's basically done out of turn when the ownership isn't happy with the unreasonable expectations it has.
                    Yes.

Comment

The lack of long term vision, not putting any savings back into the product(they still draft as cheap as possible and do little on the international front) and the appearance(due to the heavily backloaded contracts and refusal to even consider a no-trade clause) that this blowup was pre-meditated and would have happened no matter where the Marlins finished last year and that the spree was just a temporary "see! told you I would spend!" situation is what bothers me.

Been a while since I used this...Jeffrey Loria is a fucking carpet bagger.
                      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                      Noah Perio
                      Jupiter
                      39 AB
                      15 H
                      0 2B
                      0 3B
                      0 HR
                      0 BB
                      .385/.385/.385

Comment

Loria fires back:

Dave Hyde ‏@davehydesports
                        Jose Reyes said Jeffrey Loria told him to buy a house in Miami 2 days before trading him? "Inaccurate,'' Loria said. Says he never said that
                        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Fires back is probably inappropriate.

Comment

What he really said was, "It ain't true, folks."
                            Originally posted by Madman81
                            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

i think ill go ahead and believe Jose Reyes
                              Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                              Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                              Noah Perio
                              Jupiter
                              39 AB
                              15 H
                              0 2B
                              0 3B
                              0 HR
                              0 BB
                              .385/.385/.385

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                                Fires back is probably inappropriate.