No announcement yet.

Loria Encouraged Reyes to Buy House in Miami Days Before Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone can say business is business but this is not how you run a business. The Marlins and Loria will be a case study.

Comment

Except it happens everywhere. People are lied to and buy homes and uproot their families all the time as a result. So the extremes on here that act as though it is so incredibly unfathomable just bothers me.

It sucks and its gross - but it's how people everywhere do things. At least these folks can better deal with it because of their salaries

Comment

This team is run like GM in the 80s. Who gives a fuck about the long-term when you can squeeze an extra percentage point or two in growth? What's the worst that could happen?
        This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

I think comparing an MLB franchise to a business is incredibly ignorant.

A "business" requires a certain degree of cut-throat, self-interested behavior to survive and/or thrive. Ultimately, everyone in the same industry is in competition with you and, for the most part, it's a zero sum game.

MLB (and pro franchises in general) are basically free ATMs linked to a near bottomless pot of money. There's no real business acumen that needs to go into the franchise's day-to-day operations from a business standpoint. MLB is so flush with cash you cannot lose money. Any franchise claiming they're losing money also probably has oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you.

This is completely ignoring the implied contract with the community to be a source of civic pride.

There's simply no reason to use traditional business practices as justification for the Marlins' actions. They're not losing money, they're not in danger of losing money, and they have no natural competition, and their profitability is not tied to what they do individually, it's tied to the league as a whole (which is flourishing) and run by decision maker(s) mutually exclusive from the Marlins. An MLB franchise owner is like the trust-fund grandson of Standard Oil and US Steel. Guess what, you're set forever and you would need to be exceptionally dumb to jeopardize your financial standing.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
            I've seen several posts over the offseason that say something like "I have no issues at all with the way the Marlins handled A, B, C , D , E and F.........but the ownership is still awful".

Ramp or Beef, can you remind me why you still feel the ownership blows because I've honestly forgotten. I'm really not trying to be a dick here.
            You are saying that you don't understand why I think ownership is awful? Am I reading this correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
              You are saying that you don't understand why I think ownership is awful? Am I reading this correctly?
              I'm just curious what your particular reasons for thinking that the ownership "blows".

The same way Cambridge outlined his specific reasons.

Comment

Cambridge hit the nail on the head for me. Woulda outlined something similar but he took the words right out of my mouth

Comment

Yeah they were terrible last yr. However it takes more than 1yr for a team to gel. Like Cambridge said it. There is no long term outlook for the team. They built it one yr they deemed it a failure and instead of tweaking and trying to make it gel they blew it up. Whether this works or not in the future the damage is done and until Loria is gone the fans ain't a comin.

Comment

If this were football or hockey or basketball I would be ok with the "gelling" idea, but baseball isn't as much a team sport when it comes to "gelling"

Comment

If this were football or hockey or basketball I would be ok with the "gelling" idea, but baseball isn't as much a team sport when it comes to "gelling"
                      Due to injury/injuries the projected 8 (Reyes, Infante, Hanley, Stanton, LoMo, Gaby, Buck, Bonifacio) got something like 30 games together before the first trade domino fell. That's not exactly a whole lot of time to know what you have.

Plus, while gelling isn't something to consider, that the park plays like Petco with unusual colors on the walls (by any measure, but certainly for a baseball stadium) certainly merits some discussion. Baseball's a very mental game. If you can't see or have a hard time seeing because of the backdrop and if you suddenly believe everything in the air is an out, it's bound to alter things and warrant "adjustment" time.

They gave the team no time. Blowup was happening anyway since they're scumsuckers, but don't pretend that the $100 million team got a full season and ended up with 93 losses.

Comment

IMO, they got more than enough time to show something. All they showed was they were not even a .500 team with as much money as they were making.

Only 2 hitters showed up last season (Reyes and Stanton... and I guess Infante too). The starting pitching wasn't good enough and we all know about the bullpen. It's not like there was all this reason for optimism as we headed into the All Star Break and well beyond them.

And you aren't always going to get full seasons from anyone anyway. The pitching staff was pretty healthy for the most part.

Comment

IMO, they got more than enough time to show something. All they showed was they were not even a .500 team with as much money as they were making.

Only 2 hitters showed up last season (Reyes and Stanton... and I guess Infante too). The starting pitching wasn't good enough and we all know about the bullpen. It's not like there was all this reason for optimism as we headed into the All Star Break and well beyond them.

And you aren't always going to get full seasons from anyone anyway. The pitching staff was pretty healthy for the most part.
                          The bullpen was the big issue. But playing in a new park and all new faces. Gelling does play a part. It's playing with people you are comfortable with. Also with the field as well. Reyes early in the yr made a lot of errors he normally wouldn't make. Gelling is a mental thing. They deserved a 2nd season to see if they could put it together with a bullpen that didn't have fat ass at the backend of it blowing it every chance he got.

Comment

Swift - do you think other gms and owners aren't lying to players and potential players because its not a business so they do t have to

Comment

Honestly, had they won 84 or so, I can give you that they deserved another shot

They won 69. That doesn't deserve shit

Comment

What I don't get is why they were so quick to trade away everyone after a bad season but Beinfest keeps his job.
                                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Working...
                                X