Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the Appropriate Amount of Time for Marlins Fans to Vent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, it was apparently mk7 who said it. Either way, it was said.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
      Where did Boras state that?
      Scott Boras has not had a top free agent sign with the Marlins since Alex Fernandez in December 1996, a trend that will continue unless the Marlins change their policy of withholding no-trade clauses.

"I've never had a franchise player there because it was just not something my client wanted to risk," Boras told USA TODAY Sports. "They (Marlins executives) were always upfront about it. They told me, 'We don't do no-trade clauses.' But it's very difficult to sell an expectancy to a player knowing that it might last for only one year.
      http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...-sale/1705855/

we debunked the 1996 stat (CJ in 2001), but still
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Alright, boys. I'm headin out.

Should be some good readin material when I get back. Don't disappoint me, fellas.

bobbob and mkotz are off to a good start.

xxoo

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
          http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...-sale/1705855/

we debunked the 1996 stat (CJ in 2001), but still
          I wasn't aware of that.

But I also don't care because Boras' contracts are franchise crippling. But yeah, that's something.

Comment

• We've mostly operated like a small-market team. We've signed a handful of relevant free agents in our 20-year history.

I don't think it's a Marlins thing; it's a small-market thing. How many Boras clients have signed with the Rays, A's, etc. recently? Actually, the Blue Jays who we just traded with/have spent lots of money on their team...I don't believe their GM (Anthopoulos) has ever signed a Boras client either.

I don't think that has anything to do with the team's NTC policy, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
              We've mostly operated like a small-market team. We've signed a handful of relevant free agents in our 20-year history.

I don't think it's a Marlins thing; it's a small-market thing. How many Boras clients have signed with the Rays, A's, etc. recently? Actually, the Blue Jays who we just traded with/have spent lots of money on their team...I don't believe their GM (Anthopoulos) has ever signed a Boras client either.

I don't think that has anything to do with the team's NTC policy, etc.
              Doesn't that beg the question though? Isn't it possible we haven't signed Boras clients because of the NTC policy?

Also the Rays signed Carlos Pena. Twice.
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Boras isn't even his agent. My point was that what we do know is that well PRIOR to this offseason's shenanigans there were multiple agents (Boras included) who did not like their top tier guys to go to Miami for these reasons. It's not like this was unknown.
                --------------------

oh my God I'm not mibs

I need to change my name ASAP
                Speaking of changing names, can I get mine changed to therealmibs? Make it easier for me, too? Please?

Comment

• What does "therealmibs" stand for?

Comment

• THE_REAL_MIBS

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                      THE_REAL_MIBS
                      Yes. That would work, too.

Comment

Doesn't that beg the question though? Isn't it possible we haven't signed Boras clients because of the NTC policy?

Also the Rays signed Carlos Pena. Twice.
                        1. The Rays are real assholes. They actually signed Carlos Pena for about 8 mill per a year after he hit 46 HR's. Why can't we be more like them?

2. The second time shouldn't count in the context of the conversation, imo. It was a one-year deal. You don't think Boras/the Marlins would agree to a one-year deal in a perfect scenario? From what I'm gathering, it seems like you're saying the reason why we can't sign Boras clients is because there's no long-term stability, but one year isn't a long-term thing. Under that scenario, the player is seeking to re-establish his value and I'm guessing money/playing time is far more important, no?

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                          From what I'm gathering, it seems like you're saying the reason why we can't sign Boras clients is because there's no long-term stability
                          I'm not saying that, the man himself is saying that.

Comment

• Fair enough but I think we can all agree that the second Carlos Pena contract shouldn't count in terms of what we're discussing.

And the point still stands that small market teams are probably less likely to acquire a Scott Boras client long-term.

In our 20-year history, how many times do you think the Marlins have even been interested in signing a Scott Boras client long-term?

The only time the team was active in free agency to a fun extent was last year. It just so happens the three guys we signed weren't his clients but that might be coincidence. I feel like Boras says those things for leverage. He has a lot of clients; I doubt all of them feel the same way.

Comment

• Boras has a lot of clients. The three we signed off-season weren't his clients.

Has coincidence written all over it, boys.

Comment

• http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/1...boras-cli.html

Alright, which Scott Boras clients should we have signed last year, Namaft.
                                --------------------
                                Prince Fielder, I guess?
                                Last edited by Bobbob1313; 11-24-2012, 11:43 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                                poop

Comment

Working...
                                X