No announcement yet.

Former Marlins Since the Trade Deadline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well yeah, because they aren't the exact same person.

Did I do it right, Erick?

Comment

Originally posted by Beef View Post
      They're both guys that people on here thought we could trade for players that were out of their leagues.

Are those not comparable situations?

Or are you doing that thing where only exact duplicate situations can be compared?

If that's the thing we're doing, I can just wait until you make any comparison ever and tell you multiple ways in which they can be torn down despite the fact that those aren't the ways in which you are making the comparison.
      --------------------

We are a simple folk. No need to get super upset about trading a player none of us cared to have around.
      If people did that, those people were stupid.
      Chris Seddon was never a prospect. I don't mind you bringing up comparable situations, but Chris Seddon isn't it.

A minor league journeyman with a career 4.55 ERA/1.43 WHIP in the minor leagues/was never a top-100 prospect probably does not compare to Matt Dominguez who's been a top-100 prospect twice. It's not the same thing.
      --------------------
      Originally posted by Anonymous View Post
      LoL. Are you really comparing Dominguez to Youkilis? That's a very bad comparison. Very, very bad.
      Kevin Youkilis has regressed a bunch.
      He has a 1.9 fWAR this year. In his time in the big leagues this year, Dominguez has a 1.1 fWAR.

Perhaps Youkilis is better next year, but by how much? My point is that that's a silly thing to say considering that Kevin Youkilis kinda sucks right now.

I would rather pay league minimum for someone who's probably slightly worse than Kevin Youkilis at this point.
      Last edited by Erick; 09-15-2012, 04:07 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Let me ask you this...

Since you see Matt Dominguez as being Kevin Youkilis minus the money, do you also see how the situations of people on here sticking players into fake trades that they didn't belong in being also comparable?

Chris Seddon couldn't get us players that were way better than Chris Seddon.

Matt Dominguez couldn't get us players better than Matt Dominguez.

Comment

Let me ask you this...

Since you see Matt Dominguez as being Kevin Youkilis minus the money, do you also see how the situations of people on here sticking players into fake trades that they didn't belong in being also comparable?

Chris Seddon couldn't get us players that were way better than Chris Seddon.

Matt Dominguez couldn't get us players better than Matt Dominguez.
          So keep him.
          Some players are more valuable to their organization than they are in a trade. It's the very reason why we kept Gaby Sanchez. Before this year when he was valuable and putting up decent #'s for his position, he was more valuable to us than in a trade.

Because a player's trade value isn't currently high doesn't mean you give up on him for a washed up Carlos Lee.
          Honestly, you can't see that we potentially sold low on a player in this case?

Probably the better question would be...what was the point of trading for Carlos Lee, anyway? He was worthless.

Comment

Gaby Sanchez was more valuable because he was doing something and could get us nothing.

Matt Dominguez was doing nothing and could get us nothing.
            --------------------
            Like Chris Seddon

;-)
            Last edited by Beef; 09-15-2012, 04:14 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
              Kevin Youkilis has regressed a bunch.
              He has a 1.9 fWAR this year. In his time in the big leagues this year, Dominguez has a 1.1 fWAR.

Perhaps Youkilis is better next year, but by how much? My point is that that's a silly thing to say considering that Kevin Youkilis kinda sucks right now.

I would rather pay league minimum for someone who's probably slightly worse than Kevin Youkilis at this point.
              He doesn't kind of suck. It's a struggling season but a 2 WAR doesn't suck.

What are the odds you think Dominguez continues to hit like this where he can have a 1.1 fWAR in the amount of games he's played? He's going to regress. He's not slightly worse than Youkilis. Youkilis is a better player.

Comment

Gaby Sanchez was more valuable because he was doing something and could get us nothing.

Matt Dominguez was doing nothing and could get us nothing.
                --------------------
                Like Chris Seddon

;-)
                Matt Dominguez true talent level is probably better than "nothing."

You did not answer my last question. Even if you think Dominguez sucks, what's the point of the move? A 36-year old "nothing" is better than a 23-year old "nothing" now? It was a waste of time.

Comment

Well, if you only see it as a waste of time but not a waste of a player, I can get on board with you.

- Two guys who aren't good
                  - One who was good for a while
                  - And a team that thought they could compete

It's ok with me.

It was meant to be a move that they hoped could work out for the year. They gave up nothing for the possibility of things working out for one year.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous View Post
                    He doesn't kind of suck. It's a struggling season but a 2 WAR doesn't suck.

What are the odds you think Dominguez continues to hit like this where he can have a 1.1 fWAR in the amount of games he's played? He's going to regress. He's not slightly worse than Youkilis. Youkilis is a better player.
                    A lot of his value has come from his defensive play which is probably sustainable.

Sure, he's not this good of a hitter, but he's also probably not as bad as he was in the minors this year.

I certainly think he can put up a 2 WAR next year. Since we just talked about Gaby Sanchez, I don't think it's silly to think that Dominguez can put up Gaby Sanchez-like power #'s with very good defense at 3B.

Is Youkilis a better player? Sure. They're not going to be getting the same amount of money, though. Some team is going to overpay for Kevin Youkilis. The difference between the two is not worth the overpayment. We're not talking about Kevin Youkilis in his prime anymore.

Comment

Also, sorry for not answering all of your questions right after you did the thing you do where you completely misinterpret something and then right afterwards do something way closer to what you were actually just Ehe'ing at.
                      --------------------
                      You just compared Chris Seddon to Matt Dominguez. "Ehe."
                      --------------------

So you'd rather pay millions of dollars to...Matt Dominguez?
                      You actually did it in the exact same post.
                      --------------------
                      Who's to say Dominguez won't be worth more than this shitty return at some point?

Also, what's the reward for this? If this is an upgrade, it's only a minor upgrade. A minor upgrade makes us a playoff contender now? It's a "who the fuck cares" type of move.
                      Prob not worth being so up in arms over a "who the fuck cares" type of move.
                      Last edited by Beef; 09-15-2012, 04:27 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Well, if you only see it as a waste of time but not a waste of a player, I can get on board with you.

- Two guys who aren't good
                        - One who was good for a while
                        - And a team that thought they could compete

It's ok with me.

It was meant to be a move that they hoped could work out for the year. They gave up nothing for the possibility of things working out for one year.
                        The problem you have is that you don't know the game. Carlos Lee is one of your faves for that reason probably.

You've consistently ignored defensive #'s so it's not surprising that you shrug off this deal. Even if Dominguez puts up mediocre offensive stats and his WAR sees him as an average 3B because of his defense...you'll comeback and make a joke like you normally do: "Hey, remember that one time you said Chris Coghlan was a good defensive CF'er because he made that one play? Ehe, defensive stats."

If you truly can't call the front office stupid on this one move, I don't know what to tell you. The reason for the move was that they thought they were buyers and thought Carlos Lee could make them better. That, alone, is stupid. Carlos Lee sucks. The only world in which Carlos Lee doesn't suck is in Tommy Hutton's world where players can sniff RBI's. Whoopty-doo.
                        --------------------
                        Also, sorry for not answering all of your questions right after you did the thing you do where you completely misinterpret something and then right afterwards do something way closer to what you were actually just Ehe'ing at.
                        --------------------

You actually did it in the exact same post.
                        --------------------

Prob not worth being so up in arms over a "who the fuck cares" type of move.
                        Speaking of taking someone's comments out of context. Way to do it...twice. Why don't you go to the part of that thread where I said it was silly to give up on Matt Dominguez, as well?

The Youkilis/Dominguez comment was said in the context of money, as well.

Congratulations on whatever it was that you were trying to prove.

Edit: A "who the fuck cares" type of move for the Marlins. Because Carlos Lee fucking sucks.
                        Last edited by Erick; 09-15-2012, 04:32 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

If we had Dominguez at third base, you'd be up in arms over the lack of offense we're getting from a corner infield position.

I like that you're also doing the thing where if Carlos Lee hits a homerun and I make "he's my fave" post, it is ingrained in your brain that he is legitimately my favorite player because he hit that one homerun.

Taking things literally in only some situations because it works out for a horrible argument is cool.

It's also cool to completely purposely misunderstand one comparison only to make the actual kind of comparison you purposely misunderstood me to be making in the very same post.

You're good at using things that aren't real to make points that are still poor.

I'm not willing to be up in arms over a trade that didn't matter.

You said it didn't matter and then shit your pants, because now it matters?
                          --------------------

Edit: A "who the fuck cares" type of move for the Marlins. Because Carlos Lee fucking sucks.
                          Well, if we were trading a guy who was good for a guy who sucks, then it shouldn't have been a who the fuck cares type of move.

If we trade Josh Johnson for Chris Seddon, is it a who the fuck cares type of move?
                          --------------------
                          The Youkilis/Dominguez comment was said in the context of money, as well.
                          Maybe go back and look. Maybe you don't know what you're doing.

You said they are the same, except Youkilis gets millions of dollars.
                          Last edited by Beef; 09-15-2012, 04:34 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

If we had Dominguez at third base, you'd be up in arms over the lack of offense we're getting from a corner infield position.

I like that you're also doing the thing where if Carlos Lee hits a homerun and I make "he's my fave" post, it is ingrained in your brain that he is legitimately my favorite player because he hit that one homerun.

Taking things literally in only some situations because it works out for a horrible argument is cool.

It's also cool to completely purposely misunderstand one comparison only to make the actual kind of comparison you purposely misunderstood me to be making in the very same post.

You're good at using things that aren't real to make points that are still poor.

I'm not willing to be up in arms over a trade that didn't matter.

You said it didn't matter and then shit your pants, because now it matters?
                            Try comprehending what you read, moron.

Also, the whole fave thing is nothing in comparison to the type of shit you do in threads on a consistent basis over things somebody says one time. I guess it's cool when you do it though, right?

Seriously, read the "who the fuck cares" sentence again? Perhaps you'll see that the original question is: "what's the reward for this?" How do you not read that as: "what's the reward for this? It's a who the fuck cares move because Carlos Lee fucking sucks and is probably no better than Gaby Sanchez, which I said in this thread a bunch of times, as well." Shut the fuck up.
                            --------------------

Maybe go back and look. Maybe you don't know what you're doing.

You said they are the same, except Youkilis gets millions of dollars.
                            I just said that Dominguez is probably slightly worse at this point, didn't I?
                            Considering that baseball teams like the Marlins actually do care about the millions of dollars they are spending, it is the same thing. Kevin Youkilis is not very good anymore.
                            Last edited by Erick; 09-15-2012, 04:39 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I guess we have a different meaning of who the fuck cares type of move.

Mine doesn't involve me saying who cares and then freaking out and calling names again later.

Comment

I like how you don't point out the fact that I said:

-"We just gave up assets for nothing."

-"We just traded two of our top 10 prospects before this year for a rental who's a DH/probably washed up hitter."

-"Who's to say Dominguez won't be worth more than this shitty return at some point?"

-"Wasn't Dominguez a top 100 prospect in baseball not so long ago? My point is that we just traded him while his value was at its lowest."

-"I'm just saying I think we just traded for a bad baseball player. I wouldn't have a problem with it if Carlos Lee was good or had some sort of future with this team."

-"I disagree with the fact that Dominguez is automatically nothing of real value. Just last year, some of us were putting a positive spin on his #'s and saying he wasn't a bust. Now he automatically sucks and has no future?"

All things said in that thread.

My points in that thread were pretty clear. I'm not sure how you could misinterpret that sentence. Maybe it's because you decided to not read the whole thread for the sake of making your argument convenient? Yeah, probably it. Why don't you do what you do best and stop talking about real things? Perhaps you should go into threads and start making fun of people for no reason. You're really good at that.
                                Last edited by Erick; 09-15-2012, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X