2009 Marlins Trade Deadline Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
    We haven't had a hanley, Cody, uggla, hermida core since 2004.

WHAT?! Are you seriously saying that you put Hermida in our "core"? AS if he makes our team better? I hope I'm misunderstanding this.
    STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• well, the Reds just acquired Wlademir Balentien from the Mariners, so it's conceivable they wouldn't be interested in Hermida anymore.
      Last edited by wanks1212; 07-29-2009, 03:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wanks1212 View Post
        well, the Reds just acquired Wlademir Balentien from the Mariners, so it's conceivable they wouldn't be interested in Hermida anymore.
        sucks

Comment

• yeah he's terrible

Comment

• I meant for us. sounded like cinci might be the only team to give us something
            --------------------
            he's certainly not that good though lol

I mean, .250 milb iso when he's been young for the levels

but hugeee k rate
            --------------------
            I wonder if he could do something like .250/.300/.500
            --------------------
            his eye will probably keep him from getting to that power level but safeco to cinci will be good for him
            --------------------
            but he's also bad on defense was wondering when seattle would trade him
            --------------------
            god this seriously bugs me to no end
            --------------------
            what i'm talking is

Beinfest: we are going to focus on speed and defense

(nothing changes really)
            --------------------
            Z is the GM for less than ONE season and he has completely changed the team into his mold into being the best defensive team in the league now that Jack Wilson has replaced Betancourt
            Last edited by nny; 07-29-2009, 03:36 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• All I'm saying is that since 2003, September has meant something meaningful every season, save '07, but even then we knocked the Mets out.

I don't think this is the year, necessarily to say "well, this chance won't come around again."

Our rotation isn't like San Fran where it's a situation where if you get to the playoffs, throw the records out the window, you're the team no one wants to play, it's not like Philly where you've won already, your window is somewhat closing and you might as well take another swing with what you know has already worked and you've improved it.

We're set up very well for the near future, we're an intriguing team now, and ultimately what I want done will have no impact on what actually happens anyway. We'll make a dumb overpayment for a reliever trade, I'll probably bitch and moan about it, everyone will remind me of it when the guy strikes out the side, and we'll still probably end up behind San Fran and St. Louis and Philly in the standings.

And lastly, does anyone honestly believe we're looking at a solution to the .299 OBP problem? Does anyone really believe we have a clue how much one simple switch (of Emilio and Baker) would make our lineup better? That's another reason I'm kind of down on making any moves right now, I just feel like we'd find some way to continue to hold ourselves back.

Comment

• c-c-c-c-c-combo breaker

asshole

Comment

• Nobody here wants to make one "big" move and to have that "big" move be for a reliever

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
                    I meant for us. sounded like cinci might be the only team to give us something
                    --------------------
                    he's certainly not that good though lol

I mean, .250 milb iso when he's been young for the levels

but hugeee k rate
                    --------------------
                    I wonder if he could do something like .250/.300/.500
                    --------------------
                    his eye will probably keep him from getting to that power level but safeco to cinci will be good for him
                    --------------------
                    but he's also bad on defense was wondering when seattle would trade him
                    --------------------
                    god this seriously bugs me to no end
                    --------------------
                    what i'm talking is

Beinfest: we are going to focus on speed and defense

(nothing changes really)
                    --------------------
                    Z is the GM for less than ONE season and he has completely changed the team into his mold into being the best defensive team in the league now that Jack Wilson has replaced Betancourt
                    balentin actually makes more sense for the reds than hermida. both may turn into .750-.775 ops OFs with bad defense, but at least balentien makes the minimun next year.

and yes, the way beinfest "focuses on defense" is completely wrong and it sucks, but at the same time...should he get credit for the team's (so far) good baserunning as part of the "speed" commitment, or is that just brushed off?

Comment

• i've been meaning to break it down since 06 i think i'll go do that now since I'm bored and we can see what's changed and who sucks and who doesn't
                      --------------------
                      ofcoarse to be fair I'd be extremely pissed if we had 8 bonifacio's on the field so it's kinda hypocritcal for me to say "DAMN BEINFEST FOR NOT DOING WHAT HE'S SAYING" when I then hate what he's saying I just wish he could build a defensive-first team like Seattle has with hitters that still proudce at a 800ish OPS level rather than .650 OPS guys but they're fast!
                      --------------------
                      or not, bp's stat page for br isn't working for me
                      Last edited by nny; 07-29-2009, 03:56 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• The Cubs and Marlins have talked about the idea of sending right-fielder Jeremy Hermida to the Windy City but the Cubs are not optimistic a deal will happen by Friday’s 4 p.m. nonwaiver trading deadline, if at all, according to an industry source.

It was unclear who the Cubs are offering to Florida, which is said to be interested in adding more depth to its bullpen.

The Cubs, in search of a lefty bat, are said to have equal interest in Royals third baseman Mark Teahen. But, like their Hermida pursuit, the Cubs don’t think they’ll land Teahan, either…

As for Hermida, he was still smarting this afternoon over getting picked off first base after taking a wide turn on a base hit to left in the eighth inning Tuesday night. Hermida took his time getting back to the bag and was thrown out by shortstop Yunel Escobar.

“It’s a thing I’ve done a thousand times. It was just bad timing and a bad situation for it. It should have never happened,’’ Hermida said, admitting he was caught off guard.

“It was the last thing that even crossed my mind. I’m not supposed to turn my back on it. I take full blame for it.’’

Manage Fredi Gonzalez didn’t place all the blame on Hermida. He said the Braves deserve credit for making “a heads-up play. It just caught Hermy off-guard a little bit.

“They made a perfect throw and a good tag, That ball could have very easily hit off Hermida’s shoulder and bounced into the dugout and now he’s on the third base. It was a high-risk play but it worked and caught us napping a little bit.’’…

Left-hander Andrew Miller allowed four runs on three hits and two walks while hitting a batter this afternoon for Class AAA New Orleans but that wasn’t the worst thing that happened to him.

Miller suffered a right ankle sprain while fielding an infield hit. He left the game after one inning.

The injury was not considered serious but Miller’s next start in five days is in doubt…

RHP Matt Lindstrom (sprained elbow) pitched again for Class AA Jacksonville, throwing 21 pitches in one hitless inning. He’ll go again Thursday for Jacksonville then possibly join the Marlins on Saturday or Sunday.

“Tomorrow will be a good measuring stick to see how he is and when he can join us,’’’ Gonzalez said…

IF Gaby Sanchez, called up from New Orleans July 21, is still looking for his first taste of big league action.

“It’s been difficult,’’ Gonzalez said. “We’ve got (first baseman Jorge) Cantu swinging it pretty good, Bonie (third baseman Emilio Bonifacio) swinging it pretty good. I’ve sat down and spoken with him: ‘Just keep working. I know you’re there. We’ll try to use you.’’’
                        Cubs like Jeremy Hermida

Comment

• Maybe they'll send us more damaged goods

Comment

• Originally posted by Swift View Post
                            All I'm saying is that since 2003, September has meant something meaningful every season, save '07, but even then we knocked the Mets out.

I don't think this is the year, necessarily to say "well, this chance won't come around again."

Our rotation isn't like San Fran where it's a situation where if you get to the playoffs, throw the records out the window, you're the team no one wants to play, it's not like Philly where you've won already, your window is somewhat closing and you might as well take another swing with what you know has already worked and you've improved it.

We're set up very well for the near future, we're an intriguing team now, and ultimately what I want done will have no impact on what actually happens anyway. We'll make a dumb overpayment for a reliever trade, I'll probably bitch and moan about it, everyone will remind me of it when the guy strikes out the side, and we'll still probably end up behind San Fran and St. Louis and Philly in the standings.

And lastly, does anyone honestly believe we're looking at a solution to the .299 OBP problem? Does anyone really believe we have a clue how much one simple switch (of Emilio and Baker) would make our lineup better? That's another reason I'm kind of down on making any moves right now, I just feel like we'd find some way to continue to hold ourselves back.
                            I really don't see how you can say that. Our top two of Johnson and Nolasco is nearly as good as Lincecum and Cain, and I'll take Volstad any day of the week over Zito.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                              Maybe they'll send us more damaged goods
                              gotta love trading for a guy who quits baseball and a guy who leaves ST because of a torn labrum

Comment

• Originally posted by wanks1212 View Post
                                well, the Reds just acquired Wlademir Balentien from the Mariners, so it's conceivable they wouldn't be interested in Hermida anymore.
                                Maybe means Mariners are making a move for Hermida? I know Cincy and Seattle both liked him.

Comment

Working...
                                X