The Soft Opening Thread: Marlins-UM Sold Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Soft Opening Thread: Marlins-UM Sold Out

Just poking around today while drinking coffee...

How did these people get tickets already?

Are these like corporate seats that someone has decided they don't want already?

I know it's real early for this but I'm determined to go to one of these exhibition games.

Season ticket holders, do you guys have priority on the exhibition games?

Plan B of the 40 game plan includes the first game. Plan A has game two.
    --------------------
    The first game will probably be UM vs. someone, though.
    Last edited by Party; 11-26-2011, 09:55 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

CC and I got the plan with the Yankee game.

Comment

Full season plan gets both. The reps said the first game will have like 16K tickets and the 2nd will have around 24K.
        This is a Dolphins town, though.

"Fuck, what've they done?'' --Ozzie Guillen

I am dead set against free agency, it can ruin baseball. --- George Steinbrenner

2010 SoFlaMarlins Fantasy Baseball Champion
        Edmonton Ice Bats
        2007 Teal League Wildcard
        2008 Teal League Wildcard

2009 Teal League Wildcard
        2010 Teal League Wildcard
        2011 Teal League West Division Winner

Comment

Belen vs Columbus to Open New Park

Prep rivals to open new Marlins stadium

BY BARRY JACKSON

The Marlins will announce soon that a high-school baseball matchup between Columbus and Belen will be the first game played at their new ballpark, at 7 p.m. on March 5.

The game appealed to them because Columbus-Belen is one of the top rivalries in local high-school sports. Belen coach Jerry Albert said a Marlins official approached the school’s principal about the idea and “our kids are very excited. It’s an incredible thing, thinking a high-school team is opening a Major League stadium.”

Though the stadium seats nearly 37,000, capacity for the high-school game will be 5000. Each school will be responsible to sell 2500 tickets. “It will sell out within an hour,” Albert said.

The Marlins will hold at least five events at the new stadium before the April 4 regular-season opener against St. Louis. The others are a Marlins-UM exhibition game (capacity 10,000; date not announced), a Marlins-FIU exhibition (capacity 15,000), and Marlins-Yankees exhibitions on April 1 (capacity 25,000) and April 2 (capacity 30,000).
          Miami Herald
          Last edited by Omar; 12-14-2011, 09:09 AM. Reason: Added link
          God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
          - Daft

Comment

Palm Beach Central would do dirty dirty things to Belen.

/starts hs baseball fight

Comment

They seriously need to stop calling it a fucking stadium.

It's a ballpark.

Comment

what's the difference?

Comment

I assume stadium is a multi-use type place? I don't think that's really how it works anymore though; I think people who name a given stadium or ballpark just call it whatever they think sounds best.

?

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                    what's the difference?
                    In Miami's case it's a big difference.

The team is trying to get away from the perception that South Florida baseball is played in a gigantic bowl that is suited for U2 concerts.

"Ballpark" has a more intimate connotation.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the new facility is called "Marlins Ballpark" for the time being.

Comment

Any one who won't go to a game because it was called stadium instead of ballpark can read the suck our dicks thread.

Comment

We were not allowed to make one

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                          The team is trying to get away from the perception that South Florida baseball is played in a gigantic bowl that is suited for U2 concerts.
                          Speaking of U2 concerts, someone just uploaded a photo of themselves at one to Facebook.

Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

fm21 never told us he met Tim Tebow

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                              In Miami's case it's a big difference.

"Ballpark" has a more intimate connotation.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the new facility is called "Marlins Ballpark" for the time being.
                              Daft hit the nail on the head. It all depends on the size. I'm okay with calling Fenway a park and Wrigley a field. Calling Chase Field a field is dumb, it's a huge building.

My personal preference for baseball-only facilities:

>45,000 capacity: Stadium, Coliseum
                              25,000-44,999 capacity: Park, Ballpark, Field
                              <24,999: Park, Ballpark, Grounds, Field

*With older facilities getting a pass, because of expansions, downsizing, renovations, etc.

Anything over 45,000, and that's being generous, loses the sense of intimacy that park, field and ballpark has.

Marlins Ballpark is a mouthful. Marlins Park sounds better. Marlins Field would be out of place with a roof on the building.

Comment

Working...
                              X