No announcement yet.

Marlins Sign Jose Reyes to 6 year, $106 Million Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's what I was thinking, but then what about Infante? His defense at 2B is incredibly valuable.

Comment

• Forgot about Infante.

But if Reyes is a $16 million luxury, isn't a $4 million bench player?

Comment

• I'm not looking at it from that perspective. Infante's a starter on this team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stimpson J Cat View Post
          Forgot about Infante.

But if Reyes is a $16 million luxury, isn't a $4 million bench player?
          Even with the fact that the Marlins are clearly looking to spend money now, I'm not sure they'd want to pay a bench guy $4 mil. Unless Infante can play third?

Comment

• Infante has played 3rd (with the braves) but he says he's more comfortable at 2nd. Pretty sure he's vastly better defensively as well between the two.

Comment

Ok, so dumb hypothetical, but if 2B and 3B are more or less equally valuable, and Hanley and Jose are roughly the same 5ish WAR player (unless you believe Hanley is done or Jose stays super-Jose) why isn't there equal talk about moving Reyes "back" to 2B instead of Hanley to 3B.

Unless we know someone really wants Dominguez. In which case, cool, that makes sense.
              Because Reyes is the superior defensive player and he should play the more important infield position.

Comment

• Infante is definitely a better defender than Hanley. He's a joy to watch. I'm also pretty sure Reyes is light years ahead of Hanley, though I'm not comfortable putting him ahead of Infante just yet.

Hanley is the natural fit for 3B as long as his reaction time can handle it. My only concern, though, is the arm - he does have a propensity to make some stupid throws. Could we escalate that at 3B?
                God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                - Daft

Comment

• Definitely wouldn't say Reyes is light years ahead of Hanley. He hasn't posted a positive UZR or UZR/150 since '08, and even that year he was barely above average. That said, he is better defensively; just not by as much as one might think.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                    Because Reyes is the superior defensive player and he should play the more important infield position.
                    But you can't single it out like that, isn't it still about the aggregate?

Hanley SS, Reyes 2B, Dominguez 3B is the best defensive combination we can put together, I think at least. They're going to hit regardless of where they play.
                    --------------------
                    I also think Hanley isn't a lock to be a decent 3B. Maybe that's just me, but hisroblems at short aren't "solved" by moving to third.
                    Last edited by Swifty; 11-11-2011, 11:31 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I also think Hanley isn't a lock to be a decent 3B. Maybe that's just me, but hisroblems at short aren't "solved" by moving to third.
                      I agree. I didn't see a whole lot of games this season, but I always remember his problems being with setting his feet and making good throws, rather than ranging and stopping balls.

Comment

Hanley SS, Reyes 2B, Dominguez 3B is the best defensive combination we can put together, I think at least. They're going to hit regardless of where they play.
                        --------------------
                        I think you can single it out like that. Hanley will not be fixed at third base, but Hanley will also get a lot less opportunities at third base. That's a win.

I'll take my two best gloves up the middle every time.

Comment

• It's not necessarily about solving his problems.

Even if he's equally as bad at 3B as SS, he only has 45% as many opportunities to be bad.

Also, Reyes for his career has a +2 UZR/150 games. Hanley has a -9. It's clear why you put Reyes at SS and hope Hanley figures it out at 3B.
                          poop

Comment

--------------------
                            How is Dominguez at 3B better than Infante at 2B?
                            God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                            - Daft

Comment

• Originally posted by Omar View Post
                              How is Dominguez at 3B better than Infante at 2B?
                              Well, the word on him from back when he was 17 was he's a true gold glove defender, and I've never really heard anything to dispute that. There's been talk that he'd be among the best defenders at 3B in the league right now.

Which is why I've always been higher on him than most. The standard for hitting goes down if he can be that elite type of defender.
                              poop

Comment

• Isn't Infante also considered to be GG quality, though, at a more important position?
                                - Daft

Comment

Working...
                                X