Marlins Sign Jose Reyes to 6 year, $106 Million Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ramp View Post
    Pujols declining numbers the last four seasons scare the absolute piss out of me.
    Prince had a 2.5 WAR in 08 and a 3.5 WAR in 10. He can't hit at anything less than an absolute elite level, or he loses almost all of his value. That scares me also.

None of the three are perfect, for various reasons.

However, again, for various reasons, I think Reyes makes the most sense of them. I think many here agree, and/or see him as the most reasonable option.
    poop

Comment

• I love Pujols, but Reyes is the smart choice.

Reyes, Boni, H2R, Stanton could be one of the best, if not the best 1-4 in the NL East, mix that up with some good SP and we are talking.

Comment

• The lineup would be very top heavy, but it's the best we can do while still addressing SP.
        poop

Comment

• I think bringing in reyes would really solidify the organization philosophy of speed and defense to go along with good pitching

Comment

• That's what wins games, and it's what most of us want.

Comment

• no, outscoring your opponent wins games

Cardinals weren't exactly a defensive dynamo this season

Comment

• There's many ways to win games.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is foolish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                  We're signing a star. Is his hamstring more of an issue than Pujols' age or Fielder's fat ass?
                  Given the fact that Pujols is much more of an impact player than Reyes and would immediately catapult us into World Series contention for at least a couple of years? Yes, it is. I completely understand the risk of giving Pujols a deal that could handicap us down the road, but if it means bringing some championships to the franchise, then why the hell not?
                  --------------------
                  Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                  Reyes most significant injury in his career was actually his calf.
                  Except that isn't the injury that's been nagging him.
                  Last edited by Valid; 11-08-2011, 08:41 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Pujols and Pujols alone would spring us into winning 83 games next year.

Putting Pujols on this team doesn't make them a title contender.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                      Putting Pujols on this team doesn't make them a title contender.
                      I disagree. The Marlins would have probably the best middle-of-the-order in baseball, and I think the pitching staff would be decent enough to get us through.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valid View Post

Except that isn't the injury that's been nagging him.
                        I'd take it as a good sign that the injury that ended up costing him the most time in his career thus far had no lingering effects last season. Hamstring injuries happen to a lot of guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                          I'd take it as a good sign that the injury that ended up costing him the most time in his career thus far had no lingering effects last season. Hamstring injuries happen to a lot of guys.
                          I hope so.

The main concern I have with Reyes is his health. If he's good to go, then I'm fine with signing him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valid View Post
                            Given the fact that Pujols is much more of an impact player than Reyes and would immediately catapult us into World Series contention for at least a couple of years? Yes, it is. I completely understand the risk of giving Pujols a deal that could handicap us down the road, but if it means bringing some championships to the franchise, then why the hell not?
                            It's not that it would necessarily handicap the franchise down the road. It would cause competitive problems this year, unless they absolutely blow it out and go to $105 million. That's really the only way they're adding Pujols and putting together a contender.

Non-Pujols Cardinals put together 35+ WAR last year.

The Marlins put together 28.8 WAR as a whole last year. We need more than just Pujols.
                            Last edited by Bobbob1313; 11-08-2011, 08:56 PM.
                            poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                              It's not that it would necessarily handicap the franchise down the road. It would cause competitive problems this year, unless they absolutely blow it out and go to $105 million. That's really the only way they're adding Pujols and putting together a contender.

Non-Pujols Cardinals put together 35+ WAR last year.

The Marlins put together 28.8 WAR as a whole last year. We need more than just Pujols.
                              And if JJ and Hanley were healthy, we're putting up a 35+ WAR too.

I hate it when people say "Add this to last year" it's stupid; It's not last year.
                              --------------------
                              Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                              Pujols declining numbers the last four seasons scare the absolute piss out of me.
                              Ok, that's really unfair.

2008 <- Best OPS+ of his career, 190
                              2009 <- Second best OPS+ of his career, 189
                              2010 <- 5th best OPS+ of his 11 year career, 173 (And better than his career OPS+ of 170)
                              2011 <- One of four seasons where his OPS+ was in the 150's (And, for the final four months of the season, he was better than his career OPS at 172)

That's unfair to say "He didn't stay being a 190 OPS+ and has declined since then" when all but one of those years should bring any concern (And for 2/3rds of the season, he was still bashing it better than his career).

I wouldn't go over, oh, 7 years for Pujols. But I would give him 30-35 mil per for those 7 years. That would be a bargain for us for the first half of it (That's paying him to be a 6-7 WAR player, unless he deals with injuries I severely doubt he's sub-8 average pre-36), and then we reap the benefits of him hitting milestones in a Marlins jersey.
                              Last edited by nny; 11-09-2011, 05:51 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• John Harper of the New York Daily News was told by a source that the Marlins plan to offer Jose Reyes a three-year contract with a high annual salary.
                                Source: New York Daily News Nov 9 - 8:54 AM
                                Posting from my phone

Comment

Working...
                                X