Marlins Sign Jose Reyes to 6 year, $106 Million Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ramp View Post
    OPS+ went down. AVG down. OBP down. SLG down. OPS down. walk rates down. WAR down.

Maybe it's nothing. Maybe it's seriously something though. His numbers have gone down each season for the last four.
    And 3 of those four were still better than his career numbers (Two of which being the two best in his career).

I think it'd have been redic to expect him to keep a 190 OPS+

Comment

• But the point is that if the downward trend continues, he's going to be less and less valuable year by year.
      poop

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
        And 3 of those four were still better than his career numbers (Two of which being the two best in his career).

I think it'd have been redic to expect him to keep a 190 OPS+
        Not saying he should keep up a 190+ OPS. But over the last 4 years every single major number has gone down for him. It's something to be relatively worried about. It's not a good trend to have

He's gone from All World to Mark Teixeira in his prime and while Tex was great, that's still a big drop.

Comment

• LeBatard says Loria and Ozzie were with Reyes at Joe's Stone Crab.

Comment

• Don't have the crab dip! YAYAYEE!
            There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stimpson J Cat View Post
              Putting on an agent hat, the problem with a short term deal like you've proposed is that in the possible event he outperforms it, he sees no benefit. I think he sees tremendous value in the 3 year deal because it rewards him for 2011 yet still allows him to make good for the $100 million guarantee I think he's seeking when he'd be a relatively young 31. You're also talking about a guy who's made roughly $40 million playing baseball and either gets to sign one or two more "big" contracts depending on the length of this one. I don't think he's going to want to compromise his earning potential for his age 31-34 seasons. Taking the 'play well to get 3 below market options picked up' contract isn't player friendly no matter how big years 1-3 might be. You might get 1 option like that in there, but not 3.

PS: I hope he takes it. Yes, I think it opens up some problems with Hanley and if the position switch doesn't work out what do you do in terms of letting the superior offensive player (which Hanley is) potentially leave because of a deal you made, but in terms of what it does for 2012, it's exciting. Reyes isn't my first choice, nor really my second choice but if he takes a 3 year deal, that's tough to get upset about.
              I don't necessarily disagree with anything here. I was just throwing something out there for discussions sake. I do agree, maybe the "incentive" for the Marlins is 1-2 options in a hypothetical deal, and not a gargantuan 3, and I would argue the same thing.

But I will be shocked if it is a 3/$66 and done type deal. The Marlins aren't dummies. They will get something more out of it than just that, and it's really got to be some kind of beneficial option for all that up front cash.

We'll see. 4/$75 and club option for $10 works too. A lot of ways they can do this that would work for the team.

Comment

• [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VorzKV5g498[/ame]

Comment

• He's actually just being signed to perform Friday night.

Comment

• Heard it before, basically says there are no "true" friends. Hanley should've been in that video, it would've been more interesting.

Comment

• Maybe if he didn't rely so much on auto-tune he would have been offered a longer deal.
                      Last edited by Chewford; 11-09-2011, 05:54 PM.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

• Earlier this morning, I wrote that I’d believe the Marlins were for real when they signed their first big-name free agent of the off-season. Later in the day, word spread that Jose Reyes and Marlins management dined at Joe’s Stone Crab. Well, tonight, according to a source with insider knowledge, whom I trust:

Reyes should be happening.

When pressed, the source followed it up with:

Wouldn’t say it’s done yet, but sounding good.

Two hours later, I received this message:

Yeah, they think it’s a lock. F—— crazy.

Of course, until that contract is signed, anything can happen. But, this news is even better than the earlier news and it comes from someone I trust, as opposed to some random guy tweeting things on the internet. I’ll continue to keep you updated, giving you the info as it hits my phone, but for right now, what you see above is what I’ve got. And even though there are no financial details and it can’t technically be considered concrete, it’s certainly something for Marlins fans to be excited about.
                        Hot Stove: Jose Reyes to the Marlins “Should Be Happening” Says Guy Who Knows Somebody

Comment

• Has this source been trusted before?

If this is true, all I can say is:

(In the voice of Ric Flair) WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Comment

• Pretty sure this is the first time Marlinsdaily ever put out something like this so nothing to go off by to know if they can be trusted.

Comment

• Ehe, random guy tweeting on the internet shouldn't be trusted; trust this random guy blogging on the internet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                                But the point is that if the downward trend continues, he's going to be less and less valuable year by year.
                                I don't see "downward trend", I see regression to the mean.

2008: Highest BABIP and BB/K in his career. He was going to regress off this.
                                2009: Highest ISO and BB% in his career. He was going to regress off this.
                                2010: Career numbers across the board. Back to the mean!

2011 is the only year that should have any worry about him.

Comment

Working...
                                X