Marlins Pre-Offseason Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...0-million.html

This is the article I mentioned. We aren't spending $100 million on CJ Wilson. I'm a hooge fan of his, he won't be wearing the Miami Mentos uni.
    There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

For what it's worth I'm with mibs, after this year's depth issues I think that unless a deal for a good reliever or mid level prospect comes around the team would rather pay Volstad to pitch in aaa than have nothing for him. He is a slightly below league average starter. If we have starters get hurt, I'd much prefer him to elih or Koehler.
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I think he is a far below average MLB pitcher and paying him would be a mistake. There is a multitude of guys in AAA who could do what he's done the last 3 years for the minimum.

What really needs to happen is Javy Vasquez needs to come back.

Comment

Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
          Actually, Miller is a great example of why we would keep Volstad. Look at how much money Andrew Miller was making when he was here on his guaranteed contract. We still kept him and even optioned him to AAA when he was making the same money regardless of where he was. Miller was even around the same age as Volstad is. It wasn't until Miller was out of options and we were stuck with him on the roster or cutting him and getting nothing for him that we traded him.

And Erick, aka Mr. WantsHandtosuck, what depth do you see in our organization? If you think this organization is going to go get 2 front line starters and about 4 top prospect pitchers to use as depth, you're crazy.
          Volstad might make 3 times what Miller was making compared to his split contract. Depth I cannot argue with but paying Volstad to be in NOLAs rotation for at least $2 million might not be the best pay to spend payroll.

Comment

I'm with Mainge. I do everything possible to convince Javy to stay for '12.
            --------------------
            My goal for this team (obviously excepting health, that's huge) would be to find a way to add a legitimate lefty. CJ Wilson would be nice, but whatever he's going to get likely scares me away.

I'd be all for dealing Ricky if it meant bringing that guy in. JJ - (lefty) - Anibal - Javy - Hand/Volstad/Sanabia is pretty for me. Spend on depth guys, there's no reason Kevin Milwood, Freddy Garcia, etc shouldn't get earlier invites from teams like us. They don't want to go to the Yankees, they just do because those teams come calling February 15. Why can't we get on that bandwagon in January?
            Last edited by Swifty; 09-05-2011, 02:55 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Definitely need to do everything we can to try to get Javy to play again.

Our whole rotation scares me. Inconsistency, injuries, etc. Anything we can do to shore it up would be fine by me.

And get Josh Johnson some of those Colon stem cells.

Comment

Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
                Actually, Miller is a great example of why we would keep Volstad. Look at how much money Andrew Miller was making when he was here on his guaranteed contract. We still kept him and even optioned him to AAA when he was making the same money regardless of where he was. Miller was even around the same age as Volstad is. It wasn't until Miller was out of options and we were stuck with him on the roster or cutting him and getting nothing for him that we traded him.

And Erick, aka Mr. WantsHandtosuck, what depth do you see in our organization? If you think this organization is going to go get 2 front line starters and about 4 top prospect pitchers to use as depth, you're crazy.
                We have no depth. It does not mean that you pay a guy approximately 2 million dollars to pitch in New Orleans.

In the last 3 years, Volstad has thrown 468.2 innings in the big leagues; in those innings, he has an ERA above 5.

Guys who are going to put up ERA's above 5 can be found for the minimum. As a matter of fact, those guys are already in our system.

You're inferring that our depth is garbage, yet you want to pay Volstad millions to pitch in the minor leagues for depth, when he's been nothing but garbage the last 3 years. That doesn't really make sense; then again, you rarely ever make sense when you're discussing Chris Volstad.

And yes, I'm sure he'd be the best if you just so happen to take out the 67 HR's he's allowed over the last 3 years. Or something.

Comment

Javy has under a 3 ERA and under a 1 WHIP in the second half. He should definitely be offered a one year deal left on the table all offseason. I definitely thing this club has the best chance to signing him if he comes back.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                    We have no depth. It does not mean that you pay a guy approximately 2 million dollars to pitch in New Orleans.

In the last 3 years, Volstad has thrown 468.2 innings in the big leagues; in those innings, he has an ERA above 5.

Guys who are going to put up ERA's above 5 can be found for the minimum. As a matter of fact, those guys are already in our system.

You're inferring that our depth is garbage, yet you want to pay Volstad millions to pitch in the minor leagues for depth, when he's been nothing but garbage the last 3 years. That doesn't really make sense; then again, you rarely ever make sense when you're discussing Chris Volstad.

And yes, I'm sure he'd be the best if you just so happen to take out the 67 HR's he's allowed over the last 3 years. Or something.
                    I think everyone knows I dislike Volstad and think mibs is irrational but there is a difference between paying $2 million to a 24 year old former first rounder as depth than paying 500K to a 37 year old journey man who will do the same thing. With expanded payroll I'd rather do the former unless that $2 million is really going to shore up the bench and our positional backups.
                    Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I'd rather option C: pay $2 million between 4 guys and find next year's Bartolo Colon.

Comment

What happens with Cogz next year.. Doesn't seem like he's getting called up.

Comment

Originally posted by Stimpson J Cat View Post
                          I'd rather option C: pay $2 million between 4 guys and find next year's Bartolo Colon.
                          We need a fat guy and some stem cells.

I'll call Russ Ortiz.

Comment

Originally posted by MK7 View Post
                            I think everyone knows I dislike Volstad and think mibs is irrational but there is a difference between paying $2 million to a 24 year old former first rounder as depth than paying 500K to a 37 year old journey man who will do the same thing. With expanded payroll I'd rather do the former unless that $2 million is really going to shore up the bench and our positional backups.
                            We're talking about a guy who, at this point, projects to be a backend starter if everything works out.

If Volstad's potential was that of a really good pitcher, sure; it is not.
                            --------------------
                            Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                            What happens with Cogz next year.. Doesn't seem like he's getting called up.
                            Hopefully he gets traded.
                            Last edited by Erick; 09-06-2011, 12:34 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

There's 56 pitchers in the NL who have thrown at least 140 innings.

Volstad is 56th in ERA (5.37), Arroyo (5.00) is the only other one with an ERA at 5 or higher. Volstad is 53rd in WHIP (1.49), 55th in ERC (5.09), 56th in BAA, 52nd in OBA, 55th in SLGA.

He's been the worst pitcher in the NL to be used regularly. Arroyo's the only contender he has for that title.

Anything more than 500k is too much for him.

Comment

also, with the lefty FA market......theyre better off acquiring one through trade

Comment

Working...
                                X