Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more like Uranus, amirite?

Comment

Edwin said Hanley could return to lead off when he returns but not right away.

/suggested this a while ago

Comment

Update from his first rehab outing

mattyports Matt Porter
        Hanley: I felt nervous first AB ... felt good, then back tightened up when I ran. Will play 9 inn at SS tomorrow in St. Lucie. #Marlins

Comment

JUPITER — Hanley Ramirez admitted the inflamed nerve in his lower back made him nervous in a minor-league rehab start Friday night.

The Marlins All-Star shortstop, playing DH for the Class A Jupiter Hammerheads, started a bit slow in his first game since injuring his back May 29. But Ramirez settled down, and went 2-for-3 with a walk, an RBI and a run scored in Jupiter's 5-2 win over Bradenton.

"In the first at-bat, it was in my head," said Ramirez, who hit off a tee Wednesday in his first activity since his injury. "I had a long time not doing anything."

The only tense moment Friday came in the bottom of the sixth, when Ramirez limped as he scored from second base.

"I was a little bit scared, too," Ramirez said. "Sometimes you think about it and it gets in your head. I think I just have to take it out of my head, and don't think about it."

Before that, Ramirez collected two sharp singles in front of a crowd of 1,597 at Roger Dean Stadium, a total of 340 fans higher than season average.

Confirming what Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez told reporters at Sun Life Stadium on Friday, Ramirez said after the game that he will play nine innings at shortstop in the Hammerheads' game today at St. Lucie.

If that goes well, Ramirez will return to the Marlins on Sunday to take batting practice. He would work out with the team Monday and return to the lineup Tuesday, when he can come off the DL.

Rodriguez said that once Ramirez returns he would consider batting him first. Ramirez, who was batting second before he was injured and batted third Friday, has not led off this season. He is hitting just .210 and has a .311 career average from the leadoff spot.

"I don't know, let's see what happens," Ramirez said. "He hasn't talked to me. I'll do the best for the team,=."

Ramirez added that he's hopeful to return for the Marlins' four-game set with Philadelphia that starts Tuesday.

"That's all the reason I want to come back," he said. "We've got to get close in the race."
          Marlins' Hanley Ramirez collects two hits in rehab start with Jupiter

Comment

Hanley will be activated tomorrow, with Scott Cousins going on the DL with a lower back strain

Comment

Working...
            X