Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DENVER — Half of the Marlins' starting infield is expected back later this week in San Diego.

Before Tuesday's game against the Rockies, manager Jack McKeon said he anticipated sidelined second baseman Omar Infante (fractured finger) to be available Saturday, the first day he's eligible to come off the 15-day disabled list.
    Sun-Sentinel

Comment

Originally posted by Claudio Vernight View Post
      What was CC doing defensively?

Assuming a good CC, we are solid up the middle defensively, yes?
      No, probably not.

Comment

SAN DIEGO -- Omar Infante's importance to the Marlins is reflected in the poor record the team has put up without him.

Since the veteran second baseman went on the disabled list on Aug. 5, the Marlins are 2-11.

Infante fractured a bone in his right middle finger while diving for a ball on Aug. 4 against the Cardinals. The Marlins plan to reinstate him on Saturday for the third game of their series at San Diego.

An All-Star with the Braves in 2010, Infante is batting .279 with three homers, 34 RBIs and 38 runs scored in 111 games with the Marlins.

Infante's production has really picked up since the All-Star break, as he is hitting . 411 (30-for-73) with four triples.

Working with hitting coach Eduardo Perez, Infante has focused on hitting down on the ball and reducing his fly balls.

"Eduardo has told me to hit the ball down, and that's what I've been doing in BP, hitting it down -- a lot of line drives and hitting the other way," Infante said. "That's my game. I was failing a lot with fly balls, so I've been concentrating more on hitting the ball down."

A free agent after the season, the Marlins are strongly considering trying to sign the veteran second baseman. Infante is open to returning, especially with the excitement of moving into a new stadium.

"A new stadium will change everything," Infante said. "We're going to play better. With the roof closed you're not going to sweat as much, the rain, all that has an effect."

Manager Jack McKeon refers to Infante as a Gold Glove-caliber second baseman.

McKeon says Infante's defense compares favorably to former Marlin, and three-time Gold Glove-winning second baseman Luis Castillo.

"When you've [got] what you've got out there, he was a very, very steady performer out there," McKeon said. "If everybody has seen him like we've seen him, he's a Gold Glove candidate. He's played outstanding defense."

Asked to compare Infante to Castillo, McKeon added: "It's hard for me to say. I had Louie for three years, as opposed to six weeks with Infante. But he's close. They both make the plays. Louie might be a little flashier. Omar, this guy is a pro. He makes everything routine. Louie would give you a lot of spectacular plays."
        http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/...k_fla&c_id=fla

Comment

Working...
        X