Bullpen Masterful As Marlins Take Series in Atlanta, 6-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Beef View Post
    I still don't trust Stanton in right. I was worried about him on both routine fly balls in the bottom of the 8th. If those drop, we're in trouble. He saved the game. Kudos.

The only person who has any sort of convincing evidence here is Ramp, who's actually making me think differently about it. Based on the still pics, the play isn't looking as impressive as it originally did to me, either.

It's going to be interesting to see what Coghlan's defensive #'s look like over the course of the full season, when it's all said and done. If he had a history for being horrible at the position statistically, I would've never even debated this. I just don't like discrediting a play or a player's production without any evidence, whatsoever.

If you or Madman or anyone else talking about their eyes would've provided the actual reason as to why you thought what you thought, this would've never even been a debate from me.

At least the pictures are rather legit evidence.
    --------------------
    Originally posted by Namaste View Post
    You know shit is getting real when Beef is typing in bold.

It wasn't remotely an amazing catch but I kinda see what lou is implying.

But, what lou is implying is the bullpen got lucky. And sometimes bullpens get lucky and sometimes they get unlucky.

So, Daft tips his hat to the bullpen tonight. Who the fuck is Daft?
    I guess it's also worth noting that McCann's hit off of Choate wasn't really hit hard and just found a hole. So I suppose that evens out the luck factor, as well.
    Last edited by Erick; 04-15-2011, 12:10 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post

The only person who has any sort of convincing evidence here is Ramp, who's actually making me think differently about it. Based on the still pics, the play isn't looking as impressive as it originally did to me, either.

It's going to be interesting to see what Coghlan's defensive #'s look like over the course of the full season, when it's all said and done. If he had a history for being horrible at the position statistically, I would've never even debated this. I just don't like discrediting a play or a player's production without any evidence, whatsoever.

If you or Madman or anyone else talking about their eyes would've provided the actual reason as to why you thought what you thought, this would've never even been a debate from me.

At least the pictures are rather legit evidence.
      This is cool. I rescind my meanie head comments.

Also, we weren't actually discrediting his play. We were more discrediting Louie's account of it. I don't care that he dived or not, because he caught it, so who gives a shit.

CC gon be slightly-below average to average I think. We'll see.

Comment

• Hey guy in need of proof, why didn't you just post the pictures that Ramp is posting to prove the opposite of what Ramp's pictures proved?

If he had a history for being horrible at the position statistically, I would've never even debated this. I just don't like discrediting a play or a player's production without any evidence, whatsoever.
        So you were debating this based only on the fact that there are no numbers about his outfield defense. DO YOU REALIZE THAT THOSE NUMBERS YOU WANT WILL NOT PROVE ONE WAY OR THE OTHER IF THIS ONE PLAY WAS AN AMAZING OUT-OF-HIS-ASS PLAY?!!? Also, NOBODY DISCREDITED HIS PRODUCTION.

Those things are in caps because you are ridiculous. For proof, see the last six pages.

If anybody makes the catch he made and then lou goes to whatever site of whatever team has the player that made the catch and said, that CFer saved the day with the rather amazing play, we would say there as well that it wasn't rather amazing. It wasn't. There is a difference between saying it wasn't an amazing play and the guy is a bad CFer.

Comment

• NOBODY IS CRITICIZING COGHLAN!

Saying it was a good catch and not an amazing one does not mean you are criticizing it. Stop saying shit like "criticize the jump if you want." nobody WANTS to criticize the catch. The only people who are going out of their way to criticize anyone are the people saying Choate failed and Sanches is an asshole.

Brian Sanches got lucky, because he had a ball that was hit hard enough to be tough, but not so hard as to be out of reach for a defender; however that ball could have been hit right at CC but just as hard and nobody would say CC bailed him out.

Chris Coghlan made a nice play in a huge situation. Maybe the situation makes the catch better, but as a baseball play, it was just nice.
          poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
            NOBODY IS CRITICIZING COGHLAN!

Saying it was a good catch and not an amazing one does not mean you are criticizing it. Stop saying shit like "criticize the jump if you want." nobody WANTS to criticize the catch. The only people who are going out of their way to criticize anyone are the people saying Choate failed and Sanches is an asshole.

Brian Sanches got lucky, because he had a ball that was hit hard enough to be tough, but not so hard as to be out of reach for a defender; however that ball could have been hit right at CC but just as hard and nobody would say CC bailed him out.

Chris Coghlan made a nice play in a huge situation. Maybe the situation makes the catch better, but as a baseball play, it was just nice.
            FAIR ENOUGH!

Comment

• Also, madman is probably criticizing Coghlan, but only because he is using Coghlan as a proxy to criticize Edmonds.

But Madman hates cops. So if Jim Edmonds attacks him with a bat, Daftaste won't protect him.
              poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                You know shit is getting real when Beef is typing in bold.

It wasn't remotely an amazing catch but I kinda see what lou is implying.

But, what lou is implying is the bullpen got lucky. And sometimes bullpens get lucky and sometimes they get unlucky.

So, Daft tips his hat to the bullpen tonight. Who the fuck is Daft?
                Just read what Sanches thinks. "Phenomenal catch," said Brian Sanches (2-0), on the mound at the time. "That saved the game for us. When it was hit it surprised me he took that swing at that split. I don't know if it was sitting up and he was sitting on it or waiting on it. It's kind of like I saw Cogs come out of nowhere. I thought that was in the gap for sure."

I mean, that ball was hit hard and that was well more than a routine play even if other CF can make it. I can admit maybe my excitement for getting out of that inning coupled with believing our 2B of the future is playing in CF got me from a "7" to a "9," but Coghlan really did an awesome job to get that ball and it unquestionably saved the bullpen from getting slammed tonight which was my point way back when this started.

Dunn, Clay, and Leo were great. Choate and Sanches, not so much. And yea not every outing is going to be perfect, but that could have been really really bad and we got lucky to get out of there with a win. Man just needs some credit. He had a lot to do with the win tonight.

Comment

• Oh come on, we know damn well that baseball players are fucking retarded.

Comment

• Lou is Mibbing us.
                    --------------------
                    Originally posted by lou View Post
                    Just read what Sanches thinks. "Phenomenal catch," said Brian Sanches (2-0), on the mound at the time. "That saved the game for us. When it was hit it surprised me he took that swing at that split. I don't know if it was sitting up and he was sitting on it or waiting on it. It's kind of like I saw Cogs come out of nowhere. I thought that was in the gap for sure."

I mean, that ball was hit hard and that was well more than a routine play even if other CF can make it. I can admit maybe my excitement for getting out of that inning coupled with believing our 2B of the future is playing in CF got me from a "7" to a "9," but Coghlan really did an awesome job to get that ball and it unquestionably saved the bullpen from getting slammed tonight which was my point way back when this started.

Dunn, Clay, and Leo were great. Choate and Sanches, not so much. And yea not every outing is going to be perfect, but that could have been really really bad and we got lucky to get out of there with a win. Man just needs some credit. He had a lot to do with the win tonight.
                    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...b_1&mode=video

C'mon!
                    Last edited by Mainge; 04-15-2011, 12:20 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• FUCKING NOBODY WAS TAKING CREDIT AWAY FROM ANYONE UNTIL YOU STARTED CRITICIZING CHOATE!!
                      poop

Comment

• I honestly think lou thought Coghlan would be so assbackwards in CF that he elevates any catch because he's beyond surprised that Coghlan hasn't run into a wall and concussed himself yet.

Comment

• aheaheaheahAEHEAHEAHEAHEAHEAHAEHHAE lou haheHEHAAEHEAHAEHAEH

Like lou, I also expected Sanches to say, ehhhhh, go tell Coghlan and his stupid hair that I'm not impressed.

Comment

• I was going to comment on Coghlan's hair. I think the stripes are pretty fucking sweet.

Comment

• Coghlan does have like the worst hair. It doesn't even make sense to me.

And you're still criticizing Choate because he didnt get the one guy he faced out. If you're gonna say you aren't expecting perfection, you're doing a great job of going against what you are saying after you say you're first thing.
                              poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                                Oh come on, we know damn well that baseball players are fucking retarded.
                                Ross Ohlendorf fucking hates you.

But sure, guys are dumb. But Sanches has seen a lot of balls hit hard off him his professional career, as he was kind of drilled for 10 years before he got pretty good (joke, this is not sound reasoning), so I can't just outright discredit him like I can when Joe Morgan tells me a 1.50 whip is good. Seriously, these guys know when plays are good or bad. They don't know numbers and talk to much about productive outs. That's their fault.

I think it's fair to say, maybe I'm a bit to excited, but at the same time you guys are selling the little guy a little to short. That was an awesome game saving catch, and maybe other guys make that play even if its difficult, Coghlan still made it. And the Marlins won.
                                --------------------
                                Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                                Lou is Mibbing us.
                                --------------------

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...b_1&mode=video

C'mon!
                                I think it's pretty funny MLB has tagged the video 'Coghlan lays out" when we've determined on this board he didn't need to.

Just watched it 10 times. I think you guys are nuts. That's a fantastic play. Even more so with the situation.
                                Last edited by lou; 04-15-2011, 12:25 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
                                X