Bullpen Masterful As Marlins Take Series in Atlanta, 6-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TealMonster08 View Post
    I dont get it. Everyone is saying he probably didnt have to dive.

Why dont you need proof?

Are your eyes that much better than all of our eyes?
    No, that's not what everyone is saying.

A couple are saying that any decent CF'er makes that play without even diving, when there's really no proof to say such a thing, either.

And Coghlan did have to dive for that. Maybe he sucks at the position; that's a whole other story, to which we have no evidence of right now. But Chris Coghlan had to dive for that ball tonight, in order to catch it. That's what I meant when I said "that's all I know."

Whether he's below average and any average CF'er makes that play standing up...well, that we don't know.

It has nothing to do with my eyes; it has to do with lack of evidence, from those commenting, discrediting the play.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
      No, that's not what everyone is saying.

A couple are saying that any decent CF'er makes that play without even diving, when there's really no proof to say such a thing, either.

And Coghlan did have to dive for that. Maybe he sucks at the position; that's a whole other story, to which we have no evidence of right now. But Chris Coghlan had to dive for that ball tonight, in order to catch it. That's what I meant when I said "that's all I know."

Whether he's below average and any average CF'er makes that play standing up...well, that we don't know.

It has nothing to do with my eyes; it has to do with lack of evidence, from those commenting, discrediting the play.
      No he didn't.

Good Lord.

Comment

• Originally posted by Claudio Vernight View Post
        I checked Pisani's defensive metrics site.

The software gave the play a 3.4 HBT on its difficulty 1-5 scale. CC's positioning/route/catch was given a score of 2.7 LGBT. The average ML CF receives a 4.1 on a similar play. So yes, the average CF doesn't need to dive on that.
        This for real, or a joke?

Comment

• Oh, it's for real for real.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
            No he didn't.

Good Lord.
            If he didn't have to, he wouldn't have dove.
            Whether he has terrible range or not is another story; I, personally, have no statisical evidence for it.

However, he, personally, had to dive. That's a fact. If he decides to catch that standing up, I think he loses the ball at some point because he was kinda all off-balanced once he got there.

Comment

• I guess my only beef besides beef is that you are arguing against a majority who feel similar ways about the play, but you are the only one who does not need proof. If you are ok with that, then you are maybe a lost cause on this issue. In which case, all of this arguing is not going to do what it should do.

I am happy we winned although I only saw the first inning. That cannot be proven incorrect.

Comment

• Erick is terrible at facts

Comment

If he didn't have to, he wouldn't have dove.
                  Whether he has terrible range or not is another story; I, personally, have no statisical evidence for it.

However, he, personally, had to dive. That's a fact. If he decides to catch that standing up, I think he loses the ball at some point because he was kinda all off-balanced once he got there.
                  And you ask why I brought up Edmonds and why people are backing it up?

Comment

• Originally posted by Beef View Post
                    Erick is terrible at facts
                    Because everyone who disagrees with me has facts, right?

Comment

• There are two words in Beefs sentence that I am beginning to think may not be necessary. I hoped he would not be, but it is looking that way.

Comment

• Not only does he not have to dive for it, but he nearly over runs it. If anything, him going airborne helped him out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
                          And you ask why I brought up Edmonds and why people are backing it up?
                          Coghlan, with his range or lack thereof, had to dive. Whether his range sucks or not is another story in need of evidence, but I highly doubt he was trying to make the play look prettier than it was in such a situation, with the game on the line.

You're basically saying that he had to dive because he's really bad in CF. I'm saying there's really no evidence for this yet.

Comment

Because everyone who disagrees with me has facts, right?
                            No, because what you are stating as fact is not fact. You know one thing for a fact, but from that you are assuming you know another as fact.

Comment

• I mean look where he is and where the ball is in pic 2. He's 1 step away from it.

He dove because he has no clue what he's doing out there yet. Not because he had to make a leap of faith out there.

Still gets kudos, because he's not Frank Gutierrez out there though.

Comment

• Erick here is the website I got that from:

http://pisanidefensivemetrics.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X