No announcement yet.

Donnie Fuckin' Murphy Saves A Panda, Fish Win in 10 3-2 Over Nats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're 2-0 when Stanton is involved and 0-2 when he's not.

Early candidate for the New York Times MVP Watch List.

Comment

Not to go all mibs, but...I do think Volstad has the talent to be pretty gosh darn ok.
      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
      Noah Perio
      Jupiter
      39 AB
      15 H
      0 2B
      0 3B
      0 HR
      0 BB
      .385/.385/.385

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
        I just checked and fangraphs says he's averaged low-90's every year in the big leagues.

Surprising to me because some nights it seems like he barely touches 88. Maybe that's just me, though.

But yeah, fangraphs basically has him as a 90-91 mph pitcher.
        That's how I remember him. With no control, and flat off-speed

Comment

My brother told me that Volstad used to throw in the low to mid-90's in high school with excellent control. He walked like 3 guys his senior year.
          You can substitute Volstad in that sentence for almost every single stud HS pitcher in the country. Gaby Hernandez matched that description to a T. Most of them never amount to much.

Comment

I remember Volstad having a reputation while he was in MiLB of having 'Derek Low Lite' stuff. He threw a great game in his debut, but I was incredibly disappointed with his stuff.

Hermida was considered a possible centerfielder.

It amazes me sometimes at how off these descriptions are.

Comment

Gaby Hernandez...now theres a name I havent heard for a while.
              Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
              Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
              Noah Perio
              Jupiter
              39 AB
              15 H
              0 2B
              0 3B
              0 HR
              0 BB
              .385/.385/.385

Comment

It'll happen when your offseason acquisitions for the offense are Omar Infante and John Buck.

Not that those two guys are horrible, but losing Uggla/adding Infante and Buck definitely worsens the team .OBP.
                Uggla has a higher career OBP, no doubt. But over the last five years:

2006: .325 vs .339
                2007: .307 vs .326
                2008: .338 vs .360
                2009: .361 vs .354
                2010: .359 vs .369

07 and 08 saw big differences, but the difference in the last two years is mostly negligible.
                God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                - Daft

Comment

Originally posted by Brigham E. Pujols View Post
                  Uggla has a higher career OBP, no doubt. But over the last five years:

2006: .325 vs .339
                  2007: .307 vs .326
                  2008: .338 vs .360
                  2009: .361 vs .354
                  2010: .359 vs .369

07 and 08 saw big differences, but the difference in the last two years is mostly negligible.
                  Uggla's a much better .OBP guy.

Uggla actually draws walks. Infante's .OBP #'s are far more dependent on his high batting averages/high .BABIP.

In terms of overall plate discipline/projecting .OBP #'s, Uggla is an easy pick.

The guy who draws walks is always the safer bet over the guy who relies on a lot of singles.

Comment

Not sure how you could argue someone who strikes out nearly 300% more is the batter with greater plate discipline, but sure, why not.
                    God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                    - Daft

Comment

Originally posted by Brigham E. Pujols View Post
                      Not sure how you could argue someone who strikes out nearly 300% more is the batter with greater plate discipline, but sure, why not.
                      So in an argument over who has better plate discipline, you'd take Juan Pierre over Adam Dunn?

Comment

Y'all are kinda sorta arguing different things. Scouts use two different phrases. Plate discipline is the ability to not be fooled by off speed and/or pitches outside of the zone. Plate vision is the ability to take pitches outside the strike zone.

Using that phrasing, Uggla would have poor plate discipline but good plate vision. Vica versa Infante.

Comment

I think for the amorphous "quality at bat" I'm taking Infante. Uggla, at least for me, is a guy whose stats look a lot better than his game.

Comment

http://soflamarlins.com/showpost.php...&postcount=141

Yessir! /takes all the credit
                            There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

I don't understand how pitchers avoiding Uggla = plate discipline. He is dependent on his power to draw walks.

Comment

KJC was txting me telling me we were gonna lose, I had to tell him to stop.

Comment

Working...
                                X