No announcement yet.

Bo Porter Confuses Jeff Keppinger for Juan Pierre, Fish Still Win in Extras 9-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It appeared that Herms wasn't even at third base by the time Keppinger got the ball.
    And he was safe at the plate.

Anyone else notice that Wright walked the three lefties he faced in the 11th, but baffled the two righties.
    I was surprised they took him out.
    "The Marlins are going to lose because they don't have two magical unicorns having sex in the bathroom"
    -Dan LeBatard

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
      For the record, Hermida was technically safe, but the umpire pretty much has to call Hermida out in that case.
      True, but on some occasions the umpire actually puts some effort into actually watching the slide. I'm sorry, but there is no excuse for missing that call; Hermida was clearly safe.

I don't know if anyone remembers, but do you guys recall a game we had against Philly in '07 where the throw beat Aaron Boone to the plate by about 10 feet but he slid under the tag of Rod Barajas and was called safe to send the game to extras?

Some umps aren't stubborn enough to live and die by that "rule," but they are very few in number.

Comment

Except hermida was more like 40 ft away.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
          And miraculously still slid in safely to be called out by the horrid ump.
          Whose strike zone was awful as well.
          "The Marlins are going to lose because they don't have two magical unicorns having sex in the bathroom"
          -Dan LeBatard

Comment

That still doesn't excuse the ump from missing the call. I don't care if he was starting all the way from first; if he's safe, he's safe.

Comment

I'm not going to dwell on a call that would be called maybe once out of 100 times.

Comment

Pudge has been "blocking" the plate very strangely this series. That's the second time he leaves his legs wide open for a runner to slide and touch home. I wonder what gives.
                God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                - Daft

Comment

I'm not going to dwell on a call that would be called maybe once out of 100 times.
                  Yeah, because we're telling you to dwell on it. It's just making a point.

Comment

When the ball beats the runner by 5 seconds, NO umpire on the planet calls the runner safe.

Bullpen (with exception of Nunez) deserves a shout out (hollerrrr) tonight.

Kept us in the game. Great comeback!

Comment

Originally posted by Daft View Post
                      When the ball beats the runner by 5 seconds, NO umpire on the planet calls the runner safe.

Bullpen (with exception of Nunez) deserves a shout out (hollerrrr) tonight.

Kept us in the game. Great comeback!
                      I agree, but it's wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by m26555 View Post
                        I agree, but it's wrong.
                        I also agree it's wrong but it's like the same deal with the 2B/SS not touching second base on a double play but they were 'close' to the bag.
                        --------------------
                        MIAMI -- No obstacle seems too large for the streaking Marlins right now. Not even a five-run deficit with four innings to go and Roy Oswalt on the opposing rubber.

Faced with that scenario on Tuesday, the Marlins scored six runs in the sixth and seventh innings to take the lead, then finished in walk-off style in extra innings after the Astros tied it in the ninth.

That came courtesy of Dan Uggla, who brought in his second run of the game with an RBI single to left field, scoring Chris Coghlan and giving the Marlins a 9-8 win in 11 innings in front of 13,312 at Land Shark Stadium.

Facing Wesley Wright, Coghlan and Nick Johnson each drew walks to start the bottom of the 11th, and John Baker also got a free pass with two outs to load the bases. Then, with Alberto Arias in the game, Uggla lined a 1-1 pitch to the left side for the Marlins' eighth walk-off of the season.

Thanks in large part to shelling Marlins starter Chris Volstad for five runs in the fifth, the Astros found themselves ahead, 7-2, going into the bottom of the sixth. But Florida came all the way back for its fifth straight win, handing Houston its biggest blown lead of the year.

The Marlins (60-53) are now seven games above .500 -- the most since April 22.

Florida took a one-run lead on a two-run double in the seventh by John Baker. But with runners on the corners and one out in the top of the ninth, Leo Nunez served up an RBI single to Geoff Blum to tie the game at 8.

In his nightmarish fifth inning, Volstad fired 35 pitches to nine batters and exited before recording the final out of the frame. But the Marlins came back with their own big inning off Oswalt in the sixth, striking for four runs on four hits and two walks to make it a 7-6 game.
                        Marlins win fifth straight on walk-off in 11th
                        Last edited by MiamiHomer; 08-11-2009, 11:09 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Well, I'm sure everyone's expecting me to say this so I may as well do it, I don't think Volstad going to the minors helps anything. He's better than any option we have down there and he needs the "on-the-job" training. Yes, this is his second bad start in a row but he went through this earlier against St. Louis and Boston and then bounced back. And, he was 3-0 with a 3.38 ERA in three starts before the start against Washington.

It's called growing pains.

Huge display by the offense today. This team is super hot right now.

Comment

interesting note adrian johnson was the home plate umpire for volstad's last 2 starts. and his strike zone was terrible for both games.

Volstad really needs to put his shit together, the marlins have no better internal option, but atleast he didnt give up a hr.
                            --------------------
                            when will anibal be ready?
                            Last edited by Fish and Chips; 08-11-2009, 11:18 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                            Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                            Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                            Tom Koehler(4-0)
                            AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

I just saw the pitch Nunez gave up the lead on....looked like a decent pitch- down and away to the lefty, and he just roped it.

Comment

Didn't realize that about the ump. Good call. The small strike zone could have contributed as well.

Anibal has two more starts. The 21st is what I heard last. We'll probably need him in place of West or RVH though.

Comment

Working...
                                X