Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
      Didn't realize that about the ump. Good call. The small strike zone could have contributed as well.

Anibal has two more starts. The 21st is what I heard last. We'll probably need him in place of West or RVH though.
      I'd rather have RVH over Anibal.

Comment

Volstad's strike zone plot.

Last edited by MiamiHomer; 08-11-2009, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Festa View Post
          I'd rather have RVH over Anibal.
          Me, too. That's why I put West first. I know we just went with an all-righty rotation when we had 4 starters but I just think they like having a lefty in there with the Phillies in the division.

Comment

So was it the threat of rain, the umpire, or was it me accidentally making eye contact with him, since, you know, it can never be that Volstad just flat out is not good right now.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
              Volstad's strike zone plot.

Yeah, not what you need to be seeing from a 'ground ball' pitcher
              God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
              - Daft

Comment

what I think is funny is the pre-season projections having Volstad at a 5 ERA and people calling it idotic and imposssible and yadda yadda

Comment

Well, I think it was somewhat silly to expect Volstad to be this bad heading into the season given that he was an unknown (relatively) and his minor league numbers were encouraging, albeit slightly average. He never blew threw a level, and always allowed a lot of hits, but he did an excellent job of limiting the long-ball.

Now, he's just fucking abysmal, and I think it's pure craziness to just say he'll rebound, he's fine and it's just not his fault; it's the strike-zone, or the rain, or the fans, or the offense, or the defense.

He can still have a great career, but his 2009 is a lost cause and I hope we take any steps to ease him out of positions of consequence if the situation allows.

Comment

I love how Swift keeps bringing up the rain comment, but the Nolasco comments were omfg it's getting old.

Comment

I never said anything was getting old.

I think what was getting old to people was you and McLevin not understanding my point, which was totally accurate, that Nolasco is going to be really fucking bad if he gives up extra base hits.

Meanwhile, the rain comment stands as one of the four or five greatest excuses ever offered. I don't think there's any misinterpretation there, the threat of rain threw him off his game.

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
                        Well, I think it was somewhat silly to expect Volstad to be this bad heading into the season given that he was an unknown (relatively) and his minor league numbers were encouraging, albeit slightly average. He never blew threw a level, and always allowed a lot of hits, but he did an excellent job of limiting the long-ball.
                        Well, you can look at his HR/FB and see that he was very lucky last season with it, that was the main reason one would expect him to be worse this season.

I personally expected him to be a 4 - 4.5 era pitcher (More 4 with 4.5 being the highend). I thought 5 era was high, but not impossible like most people who saw it said. He was very "lucky" last season. BABIP, LOB%, HR/FB%. His season last year got him overrated by a lot of people do to the flashy and sex sub-3 ERA.

The computer projections are completely unbiased and simply negated his luck from last season. And whaddayaknow, they aren't far off.

he 'shouldn't' continue to be this bad as now his HR/FB is on the other end of the spectrum, and he should fall down to the normal 11%ish rnage. But, again, we're still then only talking of a 4 to 4.5 era pitcher.

The one positive sign to take away from this season though is his BB/9. That's the one area where he's really beating his projections. Last year it was 3.84 (3.5 = average), this season it's just 2.70. Though you do have to wonder if some of that is to blame for the HRs he's given up. Shrug.

Comment

Originally posted by FishFF View Post
                          I love how Swift keeps bringing up the rain comment, but the Nolasco comments were omfg it's getting old.
                          Some others used the rain comment in the game thread today. Just sayin'

Comment

Swift your comments for Nolasco were just as comical. You think by saying, Oh I mean I hope he does well and I want the Marlins to win in the end makes it less comical?

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                              Some others used the rain comment in the game thread today. Just sayin'
                              Guilty.

That excuse was just too rich. And, well, it did rain today

Hey guys, we did win today! Gained a game on the WC even!
                              God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                              - Daft

Comment

Originally posted by FishFF View Post
                                Swift your comments for Nolasco were just as comical. You think by saying, Oh I mean I hope he does well and I want the Marlins to win in the end makes it less comical?
                                I really want to know what makes it comical.

He's a roller-coaster of a pitcher. At the start of the season he was clearly not pitching well. I've maintained the whole time he's excellent at not walking guys and at striking people out. He gives up his fair share of extra base hits and his stuff is remarkably consistent. You can't even necessarily look at him and say "wow, his curveball is extra sharp tonight" because he almost always goes to the mound with the same stuff and the same control of that stuff. That his success is so dependent on two or three running grabs in the gap is concerning to me.

Quite honestly, it's the most transparent analysis I've ever made. There isn't some great underlying meaning to it, and, correct me if you disagree here, it's rather accurate. Nolasco is a great no-walk, high strikeout guy who seriously sucks when he's allowing extra base hits. There is nothing else to make of his success other than the XBH. He's never going to walk 7, he's never going to K just 1 or 2. That you're looking for some hidden meaning, or trying to assign value to what you feel to be between the lines vitriol I can often be known for is not my fault. Allow me, if you will, this instance of overly simplistic analysis. Should you so desire, we can continue this conversation further if you disagree with my analysis, but in a purely rudimentary discussion of a pitcher's worth, I hope we are all on the same page regarding Nolasco's strengths (no walks) and weaknesses (XBH).

And allow me to also make a self-promoting plug and say that since I cannot attend the game tomorrow, my seats are for sale on stub-hub at serious cut rate prices, and you can enjoy Nolasco's start in comfort, with waitress service.

Comment

Working...
                                X