No announcement yet.

Marlins Target Greinke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volstad and Seddon for Greinke....doooo it.

Comment

see MH, you encouraged the above

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
        see MH, you encouraged the above
        I believe it was inevitable anyways.

Comment

Speculation at the Winter Meetings had the Marlins expressing trade interest in Royals' ace Zack Greinke. There was little substance to the rumors, and the story faded as fast as it surfaced.

But now that the Phillies have assembled their dream rotation by adding Cliff Lee, should the Marlins counter and make a run at Greinke? Such a move would create a formidable one-two punch with Josh Johnson and Greinke. It certainly would stack up with Philadelphia's duo of Roy Halladay and Lee.

South Florida already has the "Big Three" with Wade, LeBron and Bosh in basketball. So the possibility of having Greinke in the Marlins' rotation would clearly stir plenty of excitement in a big-event market. For Internet sites, newspapers, blogs and talk radio, this would give the fans and the media plenty to talk and write about.

But at what cost could making a "dream rotation" happen? This is the sticking point, and the major reason why it is highly doubtful that Zack Greinke will become a Marlin in 2011.

To even get the Royals seriously to engage in trade talks for Greinke, the Marlins would have to be willing to part with Mike Stanton. Foremost, the now 21-year-old slugger would be the centerpiece. The asking price may also include Logan Morrison. Then, the Marlins would likely have to be prepared to include Ricky Nolasco as well a prospect or two. In all, it would take about four or five players, including major parts of the current club, to land the former Cy Young award winning right-hander.

Some have speculated that Nolasco and Leo Nunez could get the deal going. It wouldn't even pique Kansas City's interest.

Considering the Marlins already have a formidable rotation with Johnson, Nolasco, Javier Vazquez, Anibal Sanchez and Chris Volstad, there isn't the urgency to acquire Greinke. At least not at the price of trading perhaps the best young power hitter in the game, who is under club control through 2016.

As the Marlins front office has repeatedly stated, the price of quality starting pitching is extremely high. It is either costly in terms of contracts (Lee will make $120 million over five years), or players offered to obtain a true ace. Grooming your own starting pitching -- like the Giants have done -- remains the most effective way to build a rotation.

When you look at the possible return for someone like Greinke, it also shows why the Marlins have no intentions of trading Johnson to the Yankees or anywhere else.

With Lee going to the Phillies, it didn't take long for reports out of New York to suggest the Yankees inquire about JJ. For the record, the Marlins' ace is not on the market. But if he were, Florida wouldn't narrow its trade partner to exclusively the Yankees. A player like Johnson would generate wide appeal, and even the best package the Yankees may be able to offer might not stand up to other clubs.

The bottom line for the Marlins on the Greinke front is -- is it worth overpaying for a right-hander they'd have under contract for two years?

-- Joe Frisaro
          http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/archiv...e_made_se.html

Yeah...no.

Comment

Well I doubt the Royals will get any offers that include a high caliber everyday player even for Greinke. The highest you go is Morrison/Nolasco and others. So basically there is little to no chance this happens. Lou got me hoping for some Garza interest.

Comment

So Frisaro is suggesting Stanton, Morrison, Nolasco as well as a prospect or two.

I don't think he really has a clue what KC is asking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                So Frisaro is suggesting Stanton, Morrison, Nolasco as well as a prospect or two.

I don't think he really has a clue what KC is asking for.
                I agree that he doesn't know exactly what KC wants, but I'm sure that he has a general idea. I don't think he's just throwing out suggestions.

Comment

I have no argument that the deal might start with Mike Stanton. I have a huge if he believes that in order for the conversation to continue, the Marlins would have to pony up Logan, then Nolasco and then a few prospects. That's maddening.

Comment

I think that's a package that, if offered, would have the deal done like 4 hours ago. Basically, Frisaro's come up with the strongest offer the Marlins could make, and an offer that could really only be bested by 2 or 3 teams, and called it a starting point. That's dumb. Actually, that's worse than dumb, that's lazy.

There's little doubt in my mind the Marlins have the pieces to go out and get anyone, period. There is, however, substantial doubt they want to, or for that matter should, part with Stanton and Logan together.

All that said, I don't think we match up well for Greinke. Supposedly the Royals are telling teams they covet up the middle position players. We're pretty bereft of tradable prospects there.
                    Last edited by Swifty; 12-15-2010, 11:39 PM.

Comment

• Zack Greinke wants to be traded, and the Kansas City Royals intend to grant his wish.

Greinke fired his agent on Friday, the clearest indication yet of the ace right-hander’s desire to be sent to another club.

After Greinke switched representation from SFX Baseball to CAA, a high-ranking executive from another team told FOXSports.com, “He really wants out of K.C.” Separate major-league sources confirmed that Greinke has unequivocally asked the Royals to be traded.

Royals general manager Dayton Moore declined comment. But sources say the Royals, believing Greinke will pitch better in 2011 if he joins a team with a stronger chance to win right away, have discussed trade possibilities with numerous suitors.

Frustrated with losing, Greinke, 27, became disengaged from his team at times this year. One season after winning the American League Cy Young Award, his ERA increased from a league-best 2.16 to 4.17.

The Royals have finished with a losing record in each of Greinke’s seven big-league seasons. Only once did they avoid losing 90 games. The sustained losing — despite the presence of promising prospects on the horizon — is the primary reason Greinke no longer wants to pitch for the team.

But the Royals’ efforts to trade Greinke are complicated by the fact that he has a no-trade provision that allows him to block deals to 15 teams. The New York Yankees, Washington Nationals, Toronto Blue Jays and Milwaukee Brewers — all interested in acquiring a starting pitcher — are on the list.

While Greinke’s rationale for changing agents is unclear, he may have been drawn to CAA because of the agency’s work for Roy Halladay last offseason. Halladay then, like Greinke now, asked to be traded away from the only organization he had ever known, in order to have a better chance to reach the postseason for the first time. Halladay was dealt to Philadelphia, where he signed a $60 million contract extension and threw a no-hitter in the playoffs.

Casey Close of CAA is regarded as a direct and firm negotiator, according to executives who spoke with FOXSports.com on Friday. Close received a lot of recent publicity for his public stances on behalf of client Derek Jeter, who signed a three-year, $51 million contract with the New York Yankees earlier this month.

SFX negotiated Greinke’s current contract, on which two seasons and $27 million remain.
                      http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Z...s-agent-121710

That obviously drops the asking price.

Comment

• As talented as he may be, one good year and off field problems - plus this - scream stay the hell away.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swift View Post
                          As talented as he may be, one good year and off field problems - plus this - scream stay the hell away.
                          The only thing is he might come a lot cheaper than originally expected now that this information has leaked out.

Comment

• Still why blow some of our best prospects for someone who MAY get back to form or not.. Their price may come down a bit but not enough that we should jump on it.

Comment

• As opposed to prospects who MAY perform or not?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                                As opposed to prospects who MAY perform or not?
                                I still consider Lo Mo & Stanton prospects.. Plus I would rather take a chance on our prospects performing and are also more cost effective than Greinke if he has his shit together or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X