No announcement yet.

Miami Herald: Payroll is Going Up in 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, there are better resources out there than Uggla for $10 million.

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
      For the money it'd take to get Crawford, you can get Cliff Lee and probably have some cash left over (with the way Lee's finished, I think he gets a 4 year deal, Crawford may get 7).

Neither's happening, but you blow your load on a starter.
      Chance of return on a hitter is far more though. If we're legitimately going to give out a $120-150 million contract, it's got to be a hitter. This organization learned that lesson already with Alex Fernandez (which was a huge deal at the time). I know it's fantasy land with these two, but I'm just saying. Buy bats, develop arms.

Comment

100% in agreement with you on theory. That's how you build an organization ground up.

I think that with us, for this finite span of Hanley-JJ-Stanton-Logan-Maybin-Coghlan all together and all cheap we get so much better with that legit 1A starter than we do that top end position player.

Going forward though, and for building a new nucleus, I completely agree with you. Pay the position players, develop pitchers.

Comment

How long have they been sitting on this story? The FO said this in Dec/Jan and again when Bobby V was talking to become the manager

Next year we are not spending however the following year we are spending. Remember most of us had a good laugh about them them having a bigger payroll and spending 10 million a year on a 32 yr old 2B.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
            Sometimes I'm really in love with you.
            You should see him in person. Such a statistical dreamboat.

Comment

The problem is 2012 free agency is terrible besides Adrian and Prince, and those guys are 10/$200 and the Marlins have two capable 1B club controlled for 5 more years. And a sidenote, Uggla has the same WAR as Prince this season, so if we are going to commit here, it's pretty much Adrian and you know someone is trading for him and signing him before he hits the market. There is nothing to really spend on here. My next 20 favorite free agents, no order:

Dan Uggla
              Rickie Weeks
              Mark DeRosa
              Aramis Ramirez
              Jose Bautista
              Ryan Ludwick
              Josh Willingham
              Conor Jackson
              Mark Buerhle
              Edwin Jackson
              Joel Pinerio
              Wandy Rodriguez
              CJ Wilson
              Heath Bell
              Jon Broxton
              Matt Capps
              Ryan Franklin
              Ryan Madson
              Jon Papelbon
              Michael Wuertz

Fucking literally. These are all complimentary pieces you overspend on, which is why we haven't signed Uggla in the first place. Do we want Uggla at $12 million and Wandy at $14 million a year in 2012-2014, when we could have Crawford at $18, an innings eater at $5, and whatever Uggla brings back in trade?

If you're committed to spending money, I think you go big on one of the two superstars, Crawford or Lee, right now and make your statement one year early. They can field that team at $50 million in 2011 getting rid of Uggla, Nunez, Paulino, and A. Miller, and replacing them with CC options. I don't think anyone would cry about this.

C Club Controlled/Unknown $410,000
              1B Logan Morrison $410,000
              2B Chris Coghlan $600,000
              3B Emilio Bonifacio $420,000
              SS Hanley Ramirez $11,000,000
              LF Carl Crawford $12,000,000
              CF Cameron Maybin $420,000
              RF Mike Stanton $420,000
              B Wes Helms $1,000,000
              B Veteran lefty who plays 3B/Tracy $750,000 (or keep Gaby, but I suspect that would create problems unless he can man 3B for real)
              B Hayes/Davis/Baker $420,000
              B Cousins/Petersen/Carroll/other $410,000
              B Veteran Backup IF/Barden $500,000

SP Josh Johnson $7,750,000
              SP Ricky Nolasco $6,000,000
              SP Anibal Sanchez $2,250,000
              SP Chris Volstad $430,000
              SP Sean West $420,000
              RP Clay Hensley $1,000,000
              RP Brian Sanches $430,000
              RP Alejandro Sanabia $410,000
              RP Veteran Lefty/Ohman $1,000,000
              RP Veteran Righty/Veras $750,000
              RP Club Controlled $410,000
              RP Club Controlled $410,000

$50,020,000

Trades - Uggla, Gaby, Nunez, Paulino, A. Miller, and nominal pieces, which could turn into the catcher and bullpen very quickly
              Mid season potential call ups - DOMINGUEZ (how perfect is that), Ceda, Marinez, Jennings, Hand

Crawford is low, I know. But scale the pay $12-15-18-20-22-21-18 (7/$126, 18 million year) creatively and shit gets done. New ballpark, gets Hanley, Johnson, Stanton, LoMo, Lebron, South Beach, aging Phillies and Mets teams, a 3 years away Nationals team, and the Braves are a toss up if they can develop some more around the pitching. There is a lot to like here if Loria is committed to moving to mid range payroll in 2012. They can handle the three big contracts, multiple arbitration year to years, and pick up 3-5 veteran arms/bench guys with that kind of payroll.

Just saying! If you're going to spend, spend now. Overpay. Generate buzz. Do whatever you can and get him (or Cliff Lee under the same theory, just obviously reorganizing the lineup with Gaby instead of Crawford). The money can work out, just clear house of all the other guys and what have you really lost? Crawford will make up for all weaknesses at 3B and C, and whose to say Dominguez and some young kid/Baker, don't just fix that by the summer.

Now what they should do, and what they will do, are totally different things. But there is no excuse not to go big right now. Payroll is NOT an excuse. Next year's guys suck for us. These two, are the ones worth the cash.

Comment

double posted, erased it

Comment

That outfield would save the pitching staff a billion runz.
                  "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                  - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

A good catcher and that lou team probably wins 90-95 games.

That'd be fun.

Comment

Only if Volstad or West breaks out. I don't see a team with the 2010 versions of Volstad/West in the rotation, a patchwork bullpen (which the above bullpen would be), and Emilio in the everyday lineup winning 95 games, no matter how much the Crawford addition/full season of Stanton and Logan help the offense.

I think they're another 83-88 win team as long as Volstad and West are still pitching like clowns and the bullpen is led by the likes of Hensley, Sanches, and Veras. The team would probably be alot like the '09 team in terms of their production.

Comment

Working...
                      X