Miami Herald: Payroll is Going Up in 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miami Herald: Payroll is Going Up in 2012

• The Marlins expect to raise payroll from $44 million to about $50 million in 2011. They said they will be in the midrange of payrolls (now $84 million) in 2012, when the stadium opens.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/2...iolations.html
    Last edited by Party; 09-09-2010, 04:01 PM.

Frisaro was wrong. I am SHOCKED.

Comment

What he said?

Comment

Indications are the 2011 payroll will be slightly higher in 2011. So look for the figure to be in the $50 million range.

In 2012, the first year of the new ballpark, the climb is expected to be in the $55-$60 million range.

Key for the payrolls the next couple of years is the cost of the retractable-roof building in the Little Havana section of Miami. Thus far, everything has been on budget and on schedule. There always is a chance for some unforeseen costs.

If everything runs smoothly, the most dramatic jump in payroll should come as early as 2013. Then, there is a chance the leap in payroll could be towards the middle of the MLB pack. So in three years, the payroll could escalate to about $80 million, a figure the franchise has never seen.
        http://www.soflamarlins.com/showthread.php?p=97948

Comment

I thought our payroll this season was at $55 mil..

Nice to hear we will be in the low 80's by 2012. I'm guessing not much will be going on this off season.

Comment

It's going to be pretty impossible for this team to be in the low 80s in 2012, if they don't sign two big free agents.

I understand median to mean, somewhere in the 10-20 range in baseball, which means 20th for these guys. I suspect high 60s in 2012, and move towards 80-90 during Hanley/JJ big years. That's what is realistic based on our personnel.

I will get to this end of season during arbitration/salary post season analysis. Short answer is, all is well. $50 is plenty for 2011. Well, $55 would really be "plenty" to afford those two extra relievers and extra bench bat, but we'll see how it goes down.

Comment

I was thinking going from $50 mil to low $80's is a pretty drastic jump, maybe they will be spending some cash on big name FA, and maybe we will finally have fans along with a year in year out contending team.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                It's going to be pretty impossible for this team to be in the low 80s in 2012, if they don't sign two big free agents.

I understand median to mean, somewhere in the 10-20 range in baseball, which means 20th for these guys. I suspect high 60s in 2012, and move towards 80-90 during Hanley/JJ big years. That's what is realistic based on our personnel.

I will get to this end of season during arbitration/salary post season analysis. Short answer is, all is well. $50 is plenty for 2011. Well, $55 would really be "plenty" to afford those two extra relievers and extra bench bat, but we'll see how it goes down.
                Signing Pujols would go a long way in pushing payroll that high.

/only 30% serious

Comment

Pujols has an option this year and I believe his contract is up in 2012, when we enter our new stadium.

Here are some big names available in 2012, whom we can use-

Prince Fielder
                  Adrian Gonzalez
                  Mark Buehrle
                  Jeff Francis
                  Heath Bell
                  Jonathan Papelbon
                  Jonathan Broxton

Comment

Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                    Pujols has an option this year and I believe his contract is up in 2012, when we enter our new stadium.

Here are some big names available in 2012, whom we can use-

Prince Fielder
                    Adrian Gonzalez
                    Mark Buehrle
                    Jeff Francis
                    Heath Bell
                    Jonathan Papelbon
                    Jonathan Broxton
                    Fielder's agent wants him to play in either Boston or NY.. He turned down a huge extension from the Brewers..

Comment

lol at even thinking about those names
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I actually don't want any of them in 2012 none of them will be really in their prime cept Prince and well he is a head case anyways..

Comment

If the Marlins want to do something drastic, it's selling the house for Carl Crawford for whatever he wants. He's SO Marlins with the speed and defense. Fifth in baseball with a 6+ WAR.

Just saying. Do it a year early, and trade Uggla, Nunez, and Gaby for pitching up the wazoo. You can still maintain $50 land, and just give him big raises there on out when you "expect to be median."

Comment

For the money it'd take to get Crawford, you can get Cliff Lee and probably have some cash left over (with the way Lee's finished, I think he gets a 4 year deal, Crawford may get 7).

Neither's happening, but you blow your load on a starter.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                              If the Marlins want to do something drastic, it's selling the house for Carl Crawford for whatever he wants. He's SO Marlins with the speed and defense. Fifth in baseball with a 6+ WAR.

Just saying. Do it a year early, and trade Uggla, Nunez, and Gaby for pitching up the wazoo. You can still maintain $50 land, and just give him big raises there on out when you "expect to be median."

Sometimes I'm really in love with you.

Comment

Working...
                              X