No announcement yet.

Cody Ross to Giants, Maybin to be recalled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, Cody really loved it here, sucks to see him go.

Codys walkup song:

I'm about whatever man..
    F-ck what they be talking about,
    They opinon doesn't count,
    We the only thing that matters (oooh)
    So we do it how we do it
    All up in your face, man, I hate to put you through it
    I be up all night..
    Whole crews in here
    Cause I don't really know who I'mma lose this year (oooh)
    Man I love my team. Man I love my team..
    I would die for these n-ggas..

Anyways, there's not much we can do, we are 8 GB with a little over a month to go. There is currently only 3 teams ahead of us, but we probably won't have Nolasco for the rest of the year, who knows about Baker, and Cogz and Paulino are done, these are all key spots in our team that are done or might be done for the year so might as well give Cam some time in CF and see what he does. I know I speak for everyone when I say, we love Cody, wish him the best, and thanks for everything bud.

Comment

Giants gon non-tender him. They didn't really want him.
      "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
      - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

You guys all suck. You twist absolutely everything I say about anyone into berating me about Volstad. It's getting to the point where I can't say one thing on this message board without everyone attacking me. It's getting a little fucking ridiculous.

Comment

!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I am so ready for the Cameron era to begin for the 4th time.

Comment

Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
              I don't get it madman

It's not like moving NateBob permantely tied us to the hip with Volstad who has been named a starting pitcher for the past two years but could never hold onto it

I see no correlation
              And actually, I highly doubt that NateRob was released so we could run with 5 righties. It's much more likely that it was done to get West back in the rotation. But excuse me for saying that because we don't bash anyone around this website except me and Volstad.

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
                I am so ready for the Cameron era to begin for the 4th time.
                4th time's the charm!
                --------------------
                Cam is coming off the best numbers of his career in the minors when he's had 100+ AB

so that's kinda of cool
                Last edited by Ramp; 08-22-2010, 05:35 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Minutes after learning his closest friend, outfielder Cody Ross, was headed to the San Francisco Giants, Marlins second baseman Dan Uggla sat facing his locker, head in hands, eyes moist and sniffling, as teammates consoled him.

"Over the last five years, I've grown as close to Cody as I've grown to anybody, even in my own family," Uggla said.

"It's a really sad day. It's a huge blow to this clubhouse."

Ross, 29, was awarded to Giants on a waiver claim Sunday after the teams could not reach a deal. The decision to get nothing in return for the man who played in 416 games for the Marlins the last three seasons was made to make room for Cameron Maybin, who will be recalled Tuesday and in the lineup that night in New York, and to cut costs for next season.

"You can characterize it as whatever you want ... a white flag or anything like that," said Larry Beinfest, the Marlins' president of baseball operations. "We're realistic about where we are."

With Sunday's loss the Marlins are 10 1/2 games behind the Atlanta Braves in the NL East and eight games back in the wild-card race .

Ross, who was placed on waivers late last week, became the third highest-paid Marlin this season after Jorge Cantu was traded, earning $4.45 million and that number will be much higher next season, his final year of arbitration.

The move saves about $1 million this season.

"There's been some names that were discussed with San Francisco, but we weren't able to come to an agreement," Beinfest said.

Ross, who was acquired by the Marlins from the Reds in for cash considerations in May 2006, said he'd miss the friendships most.

"I'm going to miss these guys dearly," Ross said. "You play your heart out for this organization, and the next thing you know, you're gone. That's the game. That's the tough part. But there's a bigger plan for me, and I'm excited to get on that team. It is going to be a fun rest of the year for me."

Ross believed the Giants put in their claim to block him from going to the NL West-leading San Diego Padres, who are searching for a centerfielder after losing Tony Gwynn Jr., possibly for the year, because of broken bone in his hand.

The Giants, who recently added outfielder Jose Guillen, have been using Andres Torres and Aaron Rowand in centerfield. San Francisco entered Sunday five games behind the Padres in the NL West and one game behind the Philadelphia Phillies in the wild-card race.

"He's going to do great over there," Uggla said. "He's going to help that team win a championship."

Ross is hitting .265, with 11 home runs and 58 RBI this season. His best season was 2009 when he hit .270 with career highs in home runs (24) and RBI (90).

Maybin, 23, has been a huge disappointment since being a major piece of the 2007 trade that sent Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis to Detroit. He was sent down this season and in 2009 after being the opening-day centerfielder.

"The past couple of years he's struggled with the club and wasn't able to stick," Beinfest said. "We still think every highly of him. The talent and the tools are there. Now it's just a matter of him doing it.

"It is time for him to step up and do it."

Maybin is hitting .338 in 33 games with Class AAA New Orleans this season. He has four home runs, 23 RBI and has struck out 25 times in 141 at bats. Maybin hit .225 in 51 games with the Marlins at the start of this season, striking out 56 times in 182 at-bats.

"Cameron Maybin is a five-tool player with a lot of potential," said Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez, who has managed Maybin the last two seasons in New Orleans.

"He has to show up here and prove what he can do. I'm very positive Cameron Maybin is going to ... show us what kind of improvement he had this year. He's going to be fine."

With the trade of Cantu (to the Texas Rangers) and Ross' departure, the Marlins lose two players who accounted for 40 home runs and 190 RBI in 2009. They also will save $3 million.
                  Florida Marlins lose Cody Ross to San Francisco Giants on waiver claim

Comment

Minutes after learning his closest friend, outfielder Cody Ross, was headed to the San Francisco Giants, Marlins second baseman Dan Uggla sat facing his locker, head in hands, eyes moist and sniffling, as teammates consoled him.

"Over the last five years, I've grown as close to Cody as I've grown to anybody, even in my own family," Uggla said.

"It's a really sad day. It's a huge blow to this clubhouse."

Ross, 29, was awarded to Giants on a waiver claim Sunday after the teams could not reach a deal. The decision to get nothing in return for the man who played in 416 games for the Marlins the last three seasons was made to make room for Cameron Maybin, who will be recalled Tuesday and in the lineup that night in New York, and to cut costs for next season.

"You can characterize it as whatever you want ... a white flag or anything like that," said Larry Beinfest, the Marlins' president of baseball operations. "We're realistic about where we are."

With Sunday's loss the Marlins are 10 1/2 games behind the Atlanta Braves in the NL East and eight games back in the wild-card race .

Ross, who was placed on waivers late last week, became the third highest-paid Marlin this season after Jorge Cantu was traded, earning $4.45 million and that number will be much higher next season, his final year of arbitration.

The move saves about $1 million this season.

"There's been some names that were discussed with San Francisco, but we weren't able to come to an agreement," Beinfest said.

Ross, who was acquired by the Marlins from the Reds in for cash considerations in May 2006, said he'd miss the friendships most.

"I'm going to miss these guys dearly," Ross said. "You play your heart out for this organization, and the next thing you know, you're gone. That's the game. That's the tough part. But there's a bigger plan for me, and I'm excited to get on that team. It is going to be a fun rest of the year for me."

Ross believed the Giants put in their claim to block him from going to the NL West-leading San Diego Padres, who are searching for a centerfielder after losing Tony Gwynn Jr., possibly for the year, because of broken bone in his hand.

The Giants, who recently added outfielder Jose Guillen, have been using Andres Torres and Aaron Rowand in centerfield. San Francisco entered Sunday five games behind the Padres in the NL West and one game behind the Philadelphia Phillies in the wild-card race.

"He's going to do great over there," Uggla said. "He's going to help that team win a championship."

Ross is hitting .265, with 11 home runs and 58 RBI this season. His best season was 2009 when he hit .270 with career highs in home runs (24) and RBI (90).

Maybin, 23, has been a huge disappointment since being a major piece of the 2007 trade that sent Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis to Detroit. He was sent down this season and in 2009 after being the opening-day centerfielder.

"The past couple of years he's struggled with the club and wasn't able to stick," Beinfest said. "We still think every highly of him. The talent and the tools are there. Now it's just a matter of him doing it.

"It is time for him to step up and do it."

Maybin is hitting .338 in 33 games with Class AAA New Orleans this season. He has four home runs, 23 RBI and has struck out 25 times in 141 at bats. Maybin hit .225 in 51 games with the Marlins at the start of this season, striking out 56 times in 182 at-bats.

"Cameron Maybin is a five-tool player with a lot of potential," said Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez, who has managed Maybin the last two seasons in New Orleans.

"He has to show up here and prove what he can do. I'm very positive Cameron Maybin is going to ... show us what kind of improvement he had this year. He's going to be fine."

With the trade of Cantu (to the Texas Rangers) and Ross' departure, the Marlins lose two players who accounted for 40 home runs and 190 RBI in 2009. They also will save $3 million.
                    Florida Marlins lose Cody Ross to San Francisco Giants on waiver claim

Comment

tugging at the heart strings!
                      --------------------
                      also, that last line of the article with the stats from 2009.... who the fuck cares? they did shit this season
                      Last edited by Ramp; 08-22-2010, 05:59 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I find it a tad perplexing that he was just given away but whatever.
                        Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                        Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                        Noah Perio
                        Jupiter
                        39 AB
                        15 H
                        0 2B
                        0 3B
                        0 HR
                        0 BB
                        .385/.385/.385

Comment

Who will the fans chant for now?

Comment

Originally posted by FishFanInPA View Post
                            Who will the fans chant for now?
                            They'll be to busy singing party in the usa.

Comment

I thought they couldn't shed payroll without violating their agreement with MLB. WHAT THE FUCK, WILL CARROLL?

Comment

Atleast I got to tell Cody he was the best a few times last night.

Maybin

Comment

Working...
                                X