No announcement yet.

Jorge Cantu Traded to Texas for Evan Reed & Omar Poveda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On this message board, it all means Loria is cheap.

Every message board has their central theme. I'm sure the central theme on a Padres message board is the lack of mustard and brown.

Comment

This has something to do with Denver International Airport, I bet.
      This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

And gold fringed flags.

Comment

Update:

Evan Reed will begin throwing next week but is likely out for the remainder of the 2010 season.
          LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Jorge Cantu Trade Update: Poveda Throws, Reed Watches (w/video)

JUPITER -- Marlins minor leaguers are out on the back field taking on Team Italy in a "B" game. Of significant note to the Marlins: Omar Poveda, one of the two right-handers they received from the Rangers in last year's trade deadline deal for Jorge Cantu, pitched in his first game since undergoing Tommy John surgery last February.

Poveda went two innings and gave up a run, but looked sharp otherwise, mixing in a wicked changeup to complement a high 80s fastball that should reach the low 90s once he stretches out. Poveda will either start the year at Double A Jacksonville or Triple A New Orleans.

"I was nervous," Poveda admitted afterward.

Watching from behind the backstop screen was the other piece in the Cantu deal, Evan Reed. Reed won't be pitching anytime soon. After coming over in the trade, Reed made one appearance for Jax and injured his right arm. He had Tommy John in September.

"I came out to see how he looks and whether there are any differences from the past," Reed said. "He looks good. That was just two innings of work. But he threw a changeup and got a pop up and he was throwing his breaking balls for strikes. The only time he got hurt was when he left it up. The thing is he mixes his pitches so well and throws them all for strikes. That's what I expected to see, and that's what I saw."

Reed wasn't the only onlooker. The entire Marlins's baseball office brass was out in force, with Larry Beinfest, Mike Hill, Dan Jennings and Jim Fleming on hand.

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_...#ixzz1FvlzpDfZ

Comment

Why in the hell did they put him on the 40 if he had Tommy John?

Comment

could they have lost him otherwise?... also was he on the 40 before TJ?

Comment

They put him on in November and he had it in September. And I highly doubt anyone would take him to waste a 40 spot for a year. The Marlins will have to pay him all season and keep him on the 15-day disabled list and then eventually the 60.

Comment

they might not have had a choice.... someone could have taken a chance on him

Comment

Yea someone def would take him and stash him in 60 day dl.
                      "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                      - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

I don't think it's worth it. Is he even suppose to be that good?

Comment

If he's going to be on the 60, why does it matter?

Comment

It really doesn't, but why pay a guy $400,000 to do nothing.

Comment

You're paying for what you think he can do if/when he is healthy again, no?

Comment

You're paying him 400,000 to keep him.

Comment

Working...
                                X