No announcement yet.

Why Was Volstad Really Sent Down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mean that's just a different blog. He just uses advanced statistics in his article. He isn't like a pro fantasy analyst or sabermetrician.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I'm going to keep going back to this, but if he pitches well, he will lose probably 1 start, not burn an option, and get an opportunity to get his head on right. There's like no downside to this unless he takes this as poorly as Mba is.
      poop

Comment

You don't have to write professionally to be a sabermetrician. We have some guys on here (nny) I would consider a sabermetrician. Either way, even when those guys look at the computer stats, even they can't see why Volstad was sent down. NNY said the same thing in here.

Comment

Because he has regressed over his last dozen or so starts to the point where the team thinks there's more to gain by sending him down than keeping him up.

He can get extra time with the AAA coaching staff (Which has done a pretty bang up job with the guys we've sent down for the most part over the last couple of years) while only missing one start potentially and not burning an option if he shows improvement.

Of course, that's the best case scenario. He could be an asshole and get bombed down there and spend a month. And have nobody to blame but himself.

I'm talking to a wall, of course, but there's a decent case for why he was sent down.
          poop

Comment

HOLY SHIT GET YOUR FUCKING VOLSTAD GOGGLES OFF!

He's been relatively abysmal since the start of 2009. He doesn't deserve to just be coasting in the majors. He needs to go down, get extra help and get fixed. If he goes down and dominates AAA for a start or two, he'll come back up. His numbers are not very good and there is little out there that suggests that he will turn this around.

I too realize I am talking to a wall, but my blood is boiling and I gotta type to cool off.
            --------------------
            Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
            This is just wonderful. Not even the Sabermeticians and the guys that write the fantasy baseball anaylsis can figure out why he was sent down. I have never been more unhappy with our ownership/ front office as I have been since they fired Fredi and I've been through the fire sales and the firing of Giradi. They are making really stupid decisions this year.
            you're insane... with all due respect
            Last edited by Ramp; 07-08-2010, 04:14 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Like everyone has said - and as was the point of this thread - this isn't a demotion because they've got a better option. No one thinks Sanabia is going to produce more than Volstad. This demotion is because something is off with him, he's not as good as he should be, and he needs extra coaching time. The ASB in the majors, players and coaches go on vacation. He won't be starting again until the 20th. He can get an extra start or two down in AAA with some extra help. This demotion is because they LIKE him so much, not because they have it out for him or think he sucks.
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

I still don't get how you think he's getting an extra start and extra attention down there.

New Orleans schedule:
                Thursday-Sunday: @ Iowa Cubs
                Monday-Wednesday: All-Star break
                Thursday-Sunday: vrs. Memphis Redbirds

They have one extra game than the Marlins do. Are you trying to tell me that the AAA guys don't get the All-Star break off and work through that?

Comment

Well, it's more like you can keep him on his regular rest and skip his start in the big league rotation with the all star game allowing you to reset things a little.
                  poop

Comment

He's going to get extra attention down there. Thinking otherwise is delusional and ridiculous.

Comment

Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez said that right-hander Chris Volstad took his demotion to Triple-A New Orleans in stride.
                      "He was very disappointed, but he's a professional," Rodriguez said, "He knows that he has to work on things, but he said he'll go down there and work on what he needs to work on."

Everyone in the organization is expecting Volstad to be a major part of the Marlins' future, and Rodriguez is no different.

"Everyone was disappointed -- not with him, but the entire situation," Rodriguez explained. "Nobody wants to send someone down, but sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward."

Describing how Volstad reacted, Rodriguez said, "He was disappointed and thought he deserved to be here, but that's what you want to hear from a player. You don't want to send him down and have him too happy."

Ultimately, Rodriguez believes this is going to be a positive move for Volstad and that the right-hander is going to be back up with the Marlins sooner rather than later.

"There is no question he's going to be a big part of this organization -- he's going to be up here for many, many years," Rodriguez said confidently.
                      Marlins maintain faith in Volstad

Comment

Why not DFA him then?
                        poop

Comment

Absolutely shocking comments from Edwin. I am floored.

Comment

What I really don't get about this is that it's not like Volstad is even good looking.

If Anibal was sent down, I'd expect the ladies to be upset.
                            poop

Comment

Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
                              I still don't get how you think he's getting an extra start and extra attention down there.

New Orleans schedule:
                              Thursday-Sunday: @ Iowa Cubs
                              Monday-Wednesday: All-Star break
                              Thursday-Sunday: vrs. Memphis Redbirds

They have one extra game than the Marlins do. Are you trying to tell me that the AAA guys don't get the All-Star break off and work through that?
                              He started on Tuesday, 7/6. Regular rest will have him start 7/11. Then he'll start 7/16 on regular rest. No way he'd start the first game back from the ASB with the big club. Am I missing something here?

Comment

Volstad tho is a champion drinker. Bars in Miami must be floored.

Comment

Working...
                                X