Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coghlan v. Maybin: Who Stays When Stanton Comes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Swift View Post
    Cam is probably never going to have the XBH ability of Cameron, though. Isn't that kind of what made him valuable?

To me, now, you kind of peg him as Juan Pierre with more pop, not Mike Cameron. And that isn't a slight at all, I like Pierre.
    I dont agree with that. Maybin has really cranked a lot of balls this year and you can really see his power potential despite GB rate. I don't see why he cant turn into a .450 slugging guy. Maybin has more homers than doubles and triples, 5-4 (granted one was an inside). He's just going to naturally hit more doubles as that's a completely unsustainable rate, and coupled with some improved contact and a better average, everything should work out eventually. Maybe he's not the star they hoped for, but I don't see why he can't be turn into a Cameron kind of guy.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
      What made Cameron valuable was defense at a premium position.

With his minor league track record (One Cameron has a .171 ISO, the other has a .170 ISO in the MILB careers) and age, it's far too early to say he'll be more Juan Pierre than Mike Cameron.

and, I mean, what does he even show similar to Pierre besides speed? Pierre never strikes out, Maybin strikes out a ton. Pierre never walks, Maybin is near average. Pierre has 0 power (.070 ISO) and Maybin is close to average (.131 ISO). Yeah, he's equal far from other Cameron so far (.198 ISO)...but other Cameron also had a .147 career ISO before he hit 26 years of age.

Plain and simple, Tigers rushed him which is now forcing us to rush him. If we send him down to AAA this year, which seems like the likely course of action, he will be out of options next year.
      Maybin is what he is in my opinion. He gets sent down and then teases us in September. Maybin is not going to be a high average guy. I don't think he's gonna be a table setter at the top of the order. He can hit for decent power (hasn't fully done it yet) that's why I don't see Killa cam at the top of the line up. Now he's not gonna bat clean up either. It's just a tough situation because we want Maybin to possibly be a player he is not.
      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
        I dont agree with that. Maybin has really cranked a lot of balls this year and you can really see his power potential despite GB rate. I don't see why he cant turn into a .450 slugging guy. Maybin has more homers than doubles and triples, 5-4 (granted one was an inside). He's just going to naturally hit more doubles as that's a completely unsustainable rate, and coupled with some improved contact and a better average, everything should work out eventually. Maybe he's not the star they hoped for, but I don't see why he can't be turn into a Cameron kind of guy.
        (1) I just don't see the power. It's like looking at what JJ did last year and saying that the power is there and he could be our 1B in a pinch. I still don't see it consistently, you said as much with the "despite GB rate" remark. When Cam connects, it's usually on the ground (which is fine, it's better than a K), hard to say those are going to consistently find their way off or over the wall.

(2) Pierre's a career .715 OPS guy, .732 in his Marlin career. Aren't we kind of to the point where you fudge those numbers up a little bit (hence, Pierre with more pop) and you're kind of looking best case scenario for Cam? No power to note, good to great at balls in the gap, and far more valuable on base than in the batter's box.

Comment

Working...
        X