Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coghlan v. Maybin: Who Stays When Stanton Comes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

make fun of fip all you want, but that doesn't make any sense in his case

Comment

Yea maybin better go crazy in interleague at this rate. Team Maybin going to booze in Nola with saints fans.

Comment

Strasburg won't be America's only mega-phenom to hit the big leagues next week. Sources have indicated that the Marlins will call up the minor league home run leader, Mike Stanton, sometime during their series in Philadelphia next week, Tuesday through Thursday.

It's still unclear whether the Marlins will send down Cameron Maybin or the incumbent rookie of the year, Chris Coghlan, to make room. But it appears they've now ruled out any sort of platoon between the two.
        Jayson Stark's Rumblings
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Maybin gon go back to NOLa.
          This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

He gone.

Festa ain't gon have anyone to heckle until Stanton goes 0-5.
            poop

Comment

I think the real question is now whether Maybin is trade bait too. We love Cody organizationally, I can totally see us doing it.

Personally, I've come around a lot on Maybin. If you throw out the superstar expectations, he's a fine CF and every team needs someone to bat 7th. The problem is as an organization like us, you can't miss that badly on a franchise changing/defining move.

Comment

We did. We have to get over it.
                poop

Comment

I would never heckle the Messiah.

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
                    I think the real question is now whether Maybin is trade bait too. We love Cody organizationally, I can totally see us doing it.

Personally, I've come around a lot on Maybin. If you throw out the superstar expectations, he's a fine CF and every team needs someone to bat 7th. The problem is as an organization like us, you can't miss that badly on a franchise changing/defining move.
                    Yeah but you have to wonder how high Maybin's trade value is at this point. I don't think anyone really views him as a potential star anymore, so I think we'd be selling pretty low on him if we did decide to deal him.

Comment

I've always thought Maybin would be more Mike Cameron than anything else, and I still think that's within the realm of possibility, and I'd be happy to have that.

He's still young, and we still have him for the minimum for another two years. I'm not giving up on him yet.
                      poop

Comment

Originally posted by Valid View Post
                        Yeah but you have to wonder how high Maybin's trade value is at this point. I don't think anyone really views him as a potential star anymore, so I think we'd be selling pretty low on him if we did decide to deal him.
                        Because he'd be club controlled until like 2012 or 13 anyway, he's still got value.

For the sake of simplicity, if his trade value when we got him was 10/10, he's now like a 3 or a 4, so there's been drastic decline, but if we like Cody enough, there are many 2011 and 2012 OF machinations that aren't even that unreasonable that don't have Cam in them.

Comment

Maybin will have a lot of value in the new stadium.

Comment

I don't think you give Cody free agent dollars, but absolutely pick up his 6th year arbitration next year.

If were going to spend money, it's Uggla and Nolasco. Then after 2011, look to Volstad, Coghlan, and if Anibal is for real or Maybin starts rocking. Can't get behind any other major expenditure unless they try get a premier free agent with new stadium money.
                            --------------------
                            You keep Maybin around through at least 2012 to see if he becomes Mike Cameron or better.
                            Last edited by lou; 06-04-2010, 12:31 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Cam is probably never going to have the XBH ability of Cameron, though. Isn't that kind of what made him valuable?

To me, now, you kind of peg him as Juan Pierre with more pop, not Mike Cameron. And that isn't a slight at all, I like Pierre.

Comment

What made Cameron valuable was defense at a premium position.

With his minor league track record (One Cameron has a .171 ISO, the other has a .170 ISO in the MILB careers) and age, it's far too early to say he'll be more Juan Pierre than Mike Cameron.

and, I mean, what does he even show similar to Pierre besides speed? Pierre never strikes out, Maybin strikes out a ton. Pierre never walks, Maybin is near average. Pierre has 0 power (.070 ISO) and Maybin is close to average (.131 ISO). Yeah, he's equal far from other Cameron so far (.198 ISO)...but other Cameron also had a .147 career ISO before he hit 26 years of age.

Plain and simple, Tigers rushed him which is now forcing us to rush him. If we send him down to AAA this year, which seems like the likely course of action, he will be out of options next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X