Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coghlan v. Maybin: Who Stays When Stanton Comes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coghlan v. Maybin: Who Stays When Stanton Comes?

If we're pretty much convinced that we only have like 2 weeks left until Stanton forces someone out, when do we officially begin counting the "Chris Coghlan/Cameron Maybin Battle to the Death"?
    poop

I think it's already begun

Comment

Well, yeah. But like, at what day do we say "Competition began today, all stats from here on out are judged".
      poop

Comment

so a 2 week sample size?

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
          so a 2 week sample size?
          Well, neither has been worth a shit at any point this season (except Maybin for the first two weeks) so what do you judge them on?
          poop

Comment

Maybin's HR was a shot. His out in the 9th was also going to be an infield single but Larry made a good play to get someone out at 2B. TEAM MAYBIN

Also a pretty epic fight in the tank tonight. 4 sheriffs had to regulate.

Comment

I agree with Lou

Better defense and at least Maybin has been tagging a few balls here and there (not saying Maybin is the obvious choice) but I'm leaning Maybin right now unless Cogs starts to heat up offensively.

TEAM MAYBIN

Comment

In Coghlan's defense, pretty nice opposite field gap double. But Maybin is still more productive overall and is, GASP, an outfielder.

Also, if Stanton is up around this June 4-5 date, there are 12 interleague games June 11-24. They are all going to play. I want to see whose starting in the OF June 25. I think it'll be pretty obvious by then with literally another full month of evaluation.

Comment

Well Cogs can always go back to AAA for a few weeks, get his swing back, get some time in at 3B and 2B, and come back as a super utility lefty bat who can occasionally spot Gaby vs RHP (Cantu to 1B) if Gaby starts struggling with righties and even fill in for one of the OFs every once in awhile.

Hell, they wouldn't need to send Cogs back to AAA if they didn't want to. Just use him as a super utility guy who can also play the INF and spot Gaby vs RHP 1-2x per week, Maybin 1-2x per week (Cody to CF), and Cody/Stanton 1x per week.

Comment

It's minor but Maybin has also been one of the best base runners in the majors

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/st....php?cid=69261

Ranks 8th with +2.6 runs, so on pace to be about +10 runs on the season on the base paths, so that's a 1 win advantage there

Coghlan at -0.8 but that likely won't be negative for long

Comment

Bill James Online has Maybin as a +13 bases gained, 9th in the league.

Not sure what that translates to in estimated wins or anything.
                      poop

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                        It's minor but Maybin has also been one of the best base runners in the majors

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/st....php?cid=69261

Ranks 8th with +2.6 runs, so on pace to be about +10 runs on the season on the base paths, so that's a 1 win advantage there

Coghlan at -0.8 but that likely won't be negative for long

Nice. I was totally unaware that they kept track of this. My capping never goes so deep as to delve into baserunning stats but thanks for posting that.

Comment

Didn't see the game, but if we send Cogs down now and let him hang out for a month, don't we gain another year of club control? That might be what ends up tilting it...

Comment

We don't gain a year of control, but we only have to go to arbitration 3 times instead of four

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                              We don't gain a year of control, but we only have to go to arbitration 3 times instead of four
                              Yeah that's what I meant.

Comment

Working...
                              X